+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, 55 in a 30 limit! in General; If she gets a summons, then she really needs to attend. My step-mother (used to race Anglias as a yoof) ...

Thank Post
    If she gets a summons, then she really needs to attend. My step-mother (used to race Anglias as a yoof) got stopped going far, far too fast. Magistrates asked if there was a reason not to ban her. She (not pre-meditated) said she had two kids and an old father... Fine and points, but no ban.

Sounds like an "I just accelerated too early, really sorry..." might save her skin. Might also be worth checking that any required repeaters are there, and not overgrown. Could have the case thrown out if they are not up to standard.

Thank Post
    Over 100mph isn't an automatic ban, a rep friend of mine got clocked at 100 overtaking. Wrote a letter to the court admitting guilt and his stupidity and explaining he was overtaking some lorries. Explained he traveled 1000s of miles each year and had a clean license. He got points and a fine but no ban.

Thank Post
    If I remember correctly if your doing 21 or less mph over the limit you get a fixed penalty, anything over is a court summons. The fine is based on the drivers financial status.

I got done for doing 98 on the M25 back when I was a little less careful than I am now... 4 points and a £170 fine. Had a court summons - didn't have to appear unless I wanted to plead innocent & fight it and had to detail my income, savings and expenditure along with any statement I wanted to make to help my case.

James

Thank Post
    You don't have to attend, but doing so might persuade the magistrate that you take the summons seriously.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    I believe there is previous president in place over how near the police/camera can be to a change in speed limit. If they are too close then it can be thrown out. AFAIK there was a case where a driver argued that they were accelerating towards the speed limit so that they were not causing an obstruction on the road. You can equally get a fine for driving to slowly on the roads.
    That argument doesn't sound particularly likely - it's always been quite clear that you accelerate after you pass the speed limit marker, not towards it. Trying to get the case thrown out on a loophole sounds like a much less likely plot than trying to get the penalty lessened by being apologetic, pointing out that she's been perfectly safe up to now, that it was a fairly reasonable mistake, not in a risky area, and that losing her license would have a huge impact on her life - disproportionate to the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    It does seem like putting a van so close to a 30 to 60 increase could be almost entrapment.
    Why? You're not meant to be accelerating towards the speed limit sign. I could understand potential entrapment if it were just past a sign and people had trouble slowing down, but just before a sign people should not be accelerating to match the speed shown.

Thank Post
    Because they're putting a van there to catch people doing something which is a very common driving technique and which is in most cases quite safe - the characteristics of the road a few hundred feet before an NSL sign are usually identical to the conditions after the sign, the sign is where it is for that reason because they know people will put their foot down a little earlier than they technically should.

It's a cynical ploy to catch people doing something which is technically wrong, but almost universally done. If they want to convince people that speed cameras are really safety cameras they ought to be using them in areas where excessive speed is a safety problem, not for petty technical infringements like this.

7. 2 Thanks to SteveBentley:

j17sparky (8th September 2011), speckytecky (10th September 2011)

Thank Post
    It's a cynical ploy to catch people doing something which is technically wrong, but almost universally done. If they want to convince people that speed cameras are really safety cameras they ought to be using them in areas where excessive speed is a safety problem, not for petty technical infringements like this.

Said it before but I'll say it again. I am yet, in 6 years of driving, to see a speed camera outside a school, or infact any area where kids are likely to be; park, youth club, sports centre etc. The closest I've seen is one a few hundred yards away from a school at 2pm, and it was gone before the kids finished - If that isn't proof beyond any doubt that they are simply money making devices then I don't know what is.

9. Thanks to j17sparky from:

speckytecky (10th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's a cynical ploy to catch people doing something which is technically wrong, but almost universally done..
    But then by that argument you could say that if everybody in the UK drove with a mobile phone in their hands, its a cynical ploy to catch them because technically its wrong but almost universally done.

If the law says that after that sign it is xMPH and you do that speed before the sign and get caught, that is the law, whether liked or not.

11. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Tech1 (12th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    My sister in law now has six points, after passing four months ago.

For the first it was doing 36 in a 30. Why? Her Dad (ex-science teacher - get the bashing in!) told her the sat nav speedo is more accurate than the ONE PLUGGED INTO THE BLOODY WHEELS! So she got done for that.

Last week she jumped a light a second too late in the "Well it's amber so I'll keep going" and it was one of those that takes a nice photo.

I assume she's looking at loosing her nice new license? Worst thing being she's just started her NQT year, at a school 30 miles away!
    @Trapper just a heads up: New Drivers Act FAQ | Driving Ban, Licence Revoked, Licence Revocation
    According to that she has instantly lost her license even if they have not notified her.

FYI generally (at least up in Scotland) they only put mobile vans where there is likely to be breaches and there has been reports of speeding/dangerous driving, its not a *out to get you* thing.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 8th September 2011 at 01:19 PM.

13. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

SimpleSi (8th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post

Said it before but I'll say it again. I am yet, in 6 years of driving, to see a speed camera outside a school, or infact any area where kids are likely to be; park, youth club, sports centre etc. The closest I've seen is one a few hundred yards away from a school at 2pm, and it was gone before the kids finished - If that isn't proof beyond any doubt that they are simply money making devices then I don't know what is.
    I agree, they are money making devices, but then the argument could also be if everybody drove to the letter of the law and didn't speed, there would be no income for these devices and they would be removed

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Trying to get the case thrown out on a loophole sounds like a much less likely plot than trying to get the penalty lessened by being apologetic, pointing out that she's been perfectly safe up to now, that it was a fairly reasonable mistake, not in a risky area, and that losing her license would have a huge impact on her life - disproportionate to the crime.
    Agree - this is the best route to take IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post

We have two cameras, one each side of the road, set up within 100yds of the local middle school gates - and there are two on the main road through the next village where children going to 4 different schools walk, as well as a 20mph limit next to the local first school. So there ARE some in the correct places.

16. Thanks to witch from:

speckytecky (10th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    But then by that argument you could say that if everybody in the UK drove with a mobile phone in their hands, its a cynical ploy to catch them because technically its wrong but almost universally done.

If the law says that after that sign it is xMPH and you do that speed before the sign and get caught, that is the law, whether liked or not.
    You're comparing apples with oranges. The phone thing is a clear safety issue, putting a mobile van out to catch people who speed up slightly too early is a money making exercise.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're comparing apples with oranges. The phone thing is a clear safety issue, putting a mobile van out to catch people who speed up slightly too early is a money making exercise.
    Call them apples, call them oranges but both are illegal. Just because most of us don't drive holding a phone but have probably sped up before a speed change sign doesn't make it any less illegal

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Phone's and speeding up n a clear stretch of road for a speed limit sign are two completely different leagues. It's like saying forgetting to use your indicator to turn at a junction and running a red at a level crossing are equal.

No-one is innocent, I highly doubt anyone on here with a licence has never broken a traffic law and at some point have sped up for a post, failed to slow down in time for a post or parked somewhere they shouldn't. There is one post on my drive home that goes 60 to 30, I still miss it out of genuine error.

As for 20 zones don't get me started on those. Fair enough during the day near a school, but surely such zones shouldn't be enforced at weekends, school holidays or when there is no chance of any kids going through the gates? Some traffic law lacks common sense.

Thank Post
    putting a mobile van out to catch people who speed up slightly too early is a money making exercise.
    If it is, then it's making money out of fools and those fools choose to be fools so they should put up with the consequences of that instead of whining as if they are being served up some outrageous injustice. And if they are NOT fools, then they are inattentive idiots who, being incapable of spotting a large speed sign, should have their licences revoked on the spot.

Speed limits are set for many reasons, not just safety. Some drivers seem to forget that they share the environment with many other users who all have different requirements. The house near the speed limit sign doesn't want to put up with the extra road noise of a faster car and why should they? The horse riders have every right to expect not to encounter vehicles exceeding the limit before the signs. May complainers seem completely unable to comprehend that there might be any other criteria other than that THEY think it's safe for them.

Speed limit signs are placed where they are - if you choose to accelerate beyond the posted limit before you pass them, then take your punishment like a grown-up and stop whining like a baby.

<please check your troll-o-meter before dialling in the neutron yield>

21. Thanks to pcstru from:

Tech1 (12th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast