+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 55 in a 30 limit! in General; For the person caught at 105MPH you are so lucky your not in NZ, you would have been thrown in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the person caught at 105MPH you are so lucky your not in NZ, you would have been thrown in jail for that. Our law enforcement/traffic enforcement is so insanely strict on that kind of thing that I a honestly suprised the local cops have not yet sumarily shot someone for speeding.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @J17sparky speed is directly linked to the probability of a crash so there is an immediate fix there ... if you want to reduce crashes then people should slow down. In areas where there is an increased risk already (and where this is proven due to analysis of crashes / collisions / incidents) then an even lower speed is enforced. The reasons why it seems a tad unfair that the speed in built up areas is not in keeping with on motorways is that the severity of injury and risk of fatality increases so much. it is a bought balancing act and the speeds that are in place today are still there due to significant research ... not just political decisions / bureaucratic people.

Speed is not the only factor though, as you quite rightly say, but there is also legislation to try to deal with other aspects too ... use of mobile phones, instructions / guidance about having regular breaks, etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    Like I said in a earlier post, I make the decision not Prof whateverhisname is based on weather conditions, my cars condition and other traffic. If you service your car, keep it under warranty and if the garage tells you you need to change some tyres or brakes soon, tell the garage to keep the car 1-2 more days and do any work required. In other words keep your kit well maintained. Some people just get a car through it mot and don't bother replacing things unless forced by a mot failure.
    You make the decision based on your own experience and expertise ... and yet you attempt to rubbish other experts who have a far wider understanding? Wow ... I would love to be a teacher in your place, telling you that you know bugger all as *I* can make whatever decisions about how I use my IT ... and I bet you even like to tell a Judge that he knows bugger all about the law too, should you get what you deserve and be hauled up in front of one.

Why should a garage tell you that you need to look at your tyres? Surely an expert like you does a First Parade on your car each day? Checking all fluids, tyre pressures, condition of tyres, ensuring all indicators and lights are working, etc? If you don't then how you can fully claim to know that your car is in perfect working order?

4. 5 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

CESIL (10th September 2011), elsiegee40 (10th September 2011), localzuk (11th September 2011), mac_shinobi (11th September 2011), witch (10th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    GD lets just agree that cars are a rubbish topic, the car is a total anomoly in modern society, they give people freedom, move at high speeds, make noise and travel about full of highly combustable liquid. They travel around in unfenced off areas and the govenment can't apoint security guard to x-ray you at each end of your journey and tell you what a privilage it is that they are letting you do something of your own free will.

As it has been said before if cars were invented today no govenment would let its citizens have that much power and responcibility. The saftey nazis would blocade the govenment to prevent them existing at all and if they were somehow forced through they would be limited to 5km/h anyway.

The car itself is at odds with the western govenments of the world which all ascribe to the overtly oppressive nanny state framework imposed by the no risk, no looser, fluffy safety cornered society of today.

Yes speed can be an atributing factor, as can thickwitted pedestrians, distractions, alchohol, drugs and crappy roads with shocking surfaces and bad camber. Laying all the blame on speed is wrong as is the assumption that the balance is right now given advances in technology of cars, roads etc. It could be higher or lower depending on the circumstances but the sole targeting of speed is of limited help.

In reality the only way to make the car truely acceptable to the padded corners mindset of today is to ban it outright. Stupid, yes but that is what you get when the sheep are in charge.

Back to the OPs topic I with them luck with their daughters situation and I hope that the punnishment they meter out is as fair as possible and that your daughter is able to learn from it without it costing her future oppertunities.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

GrumbleDook (12th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I did say I have yet to see any evidence...I am quite happy to be proved wrong so if you can show me the ticket I would be very interested to see it...

You don't say whether your your trustworthy friend was caught by an automatic system or a real person...if he demonstrated the sort of attitude towards the police that you do then I am not surprised he got done...
    How do you know what attitude I show towards the police? Are you a stalker? Are you following me around with a a camera coz that's the only way I can think you would know me from Adam. Otherwise you are just making assumptions which would just make you an idiot...
    Last edited by j17sparky; 10th September 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @J17sparky speed is directly linked to the probability of a crash
    But it's nowhere near as simple as that, otherwise motorways would be the most dangerous roads but all evidence says they are by far the safest. Speed relative to driving conditions; be that weather, traffic, road design and maintenance, etc.

Don't get me wrong, speed has obviously got something to do with it but speed seems like the only thing the police seem interested in doing you for, and like I mentioned, until another factor comes into play speed can never result in an accident.

Today I saw a tractor type vehicle with rubber cat tracks towing a massive plough. I went to overtake it on a dual carriageway road but it just pulled over into my lane. It was only when it was in my lane that I realised it was in fact indicating but due to the fact it had around 20 flashing amber lights on it I couldn't spot the indicators. It then turned onto a 70mph 4 lane road which is by far the busiest in the area... A vehicle with tens of large spiky bits of metal, with inadequate indicators, doing a maximum of 30mph on a 70 - now to me that's far far more dangerous then doing 20% above the limit.

Like I said, speed is so black and white. I just wish they would focus on the cause of accidents rather than the contributing factors to how much damage is done as a result.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 10th September 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Thank Post
    How do you know what attitude I show towards the police?
    Do you mean apart from your accusation concerning fraud and corruption?
    especially when the top 2 or 3 rungs of the ladder are up for corruption and fraud

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got a Primary and a secondary level school in my Crescent - never seen any speed enforcement here in the 13 years I have lived here. Seen some clear cases of speeding and a heap of cases of idiotic driving - particularly people who should have their licences removed forever for being inconsiderate and dangerous gits by pavement parking (when dropping off or picking up little darlings) in such a way that if ever there was need for an ambulance or fire engine to get through then it would be a case of bif bash bang!

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Agree - this is the best route to take IMHO

We have two cameras, one each side of the road, set up within 100yds of the local middle school gates - and there are two on the main road through the next village where children going to 4 different schools walk, as well as a 20mph limit next to the local first school. So there ARE some in the correct places.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    You make the decision based on your own experience and expertise ... and yet you attempt to rubbish other experts who have a far wider understanding? Wow ... I would love to be a teacher in your place, telling you that you know bugger all as *I* can make whatever decisions about how I use my IT ... and I bet you even like to tell a Judge that he knows bugger all about the law too, should you get what you deserve and be hauled up in front of one.

Why should a garage tell you that you need to look at your tyres? Surely an expert like you does a First Parade on your car each day? Checking all fluids, tyre pressures, condition of tyres, ensuring all indicators and lights are working, etc? If you don't then how you can fully claim to know that your car is in perfect working order?
    ...and breathe...
    (ta for saying it all though) _
    Last edited by witch; 10th September 2011 at 11:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts

Car passed the MOT a few months back and I do check Oil, water, tyre pressures etc. Had one of those tyre companies as part of a work initiative come around and had a note on my car saying that one or two of my tyres were low / worn and also may split, this was literally after it passed its MOT and they swapped one of the tyres in order to pass the MOT. The tyres seemed ok to me with the tread worn away but not to the point it was less then 1.6mm.

Yet here I am still with the same 4 tyres and its still going strong.

Thank Post
    I also feel driving well below the speed limit to annoy faster drivers is also dangerous driving and asking for an accident.

I don't agree with doing 70 in a 30. But my personal feeling is if you have a clear road, a safe road, a good car and are willing to take the chance on a mobile camera unit then perhaps 40 in a 30 isn't the worst sin imaginable.

Around Birmingham we have four lane straight roads, which are 30 zones. Anywhere else in the country they'd be at least 40. It's all there are as a money making scheme for the local authorities.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I also feel driving well below the speed limit to annoy faster drivers is also dangerous driving and asking for an accident.

I don't agree with doing 70 in a 30. But my personal feeling is if you have a clear road, a safe road, a good car and are willing to take the chance on a mobile camera unit then perhaps 40 in a 30 isn't the worst sin imaginable.
    Most of the time its that my speedo may show 70 but when using my tom tom it shows 68 so not sure which one is more accurate and the people who are going faster, are literally doing that to the point where it is well over the speed limit ie 80 mph plus

Thank Post

These experts base their decisions on averages, average drivers ability, average weather conditions, average cars. Until someone provides evidence based on good quality saloon cars, BMW, Mercs, SaaB etc, that have run flat tyres, well maintained and serviced, good condition expensive tyres, some tyres can cost upto 400+. You then do tests on the M1 or M6 which is mainly straight and you would have conditions similiar to what I do late at night coming back from watching Palace play up north.

I pay good moeny to a quality main dealer garage to look after and maintain my car, if they tell me something needs fixing then its done usually under warranty, either way it gets done. Also I don't need to check manually if theres any issues with the car either a duff light or tyre pressure then it tells me on the dash. Technology moves on. To me the biggest safety improvment is run flat tyres before a blow out at 90+ meant you were in real trouble.

I have been to court several times in my life to date and always found not guilty, I would never tell a Judge or a magistrate that, that would be silly as they are about to make a decision that could effect your life. I have stood up in court and accused the cps and local police of being useless, the magistrate laughed, asked me to go next door to the police station so some paperwork could be checked with my car rental company, upon my return the usher took my paperwork in, then came backout and told me I was free to go home and the case was chucked out.
    You see I trust and respect the court and traffic police its the berks making the stupid rules that cause issues, if the foot soldiers don't like the rules the will not enforce them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Jose - as someone who works in IT, it is kind of surprising you have so much trust in technology. You seem to think that current technology somehow suddenly negates unforeseen circumstances. You rely on your car to tell you of problems with various things. For example, run flat tyres provide zero protection against serious danger at high speeds. They are only rated up to around 55mph for most brands, and up to about 70mph for better brands. The ones supplied on BMWs are Bridgestone, and are rated at 50Mph for 100 miles.

Your car computer can tell you about oil pressure and tyre pressure, sure, but can it tell you that the tread on the inside of your front left tyre is worn? Can it tell you that some berk in a Porsche will pull in front of you when you're going 110mph? Or that the engineer that you pay good money for forgot to tighten a nut somewhere? Or that the model of car you're driving has a design flaw? All those things happen, and none of them can be displayed on a little LCD display on your dash.

Your attitude is one of arrogance and selfishness, and it will bite you in the arse at some point. Relying on technology is a folly, and most people in IT should know this!

17. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

GrumbleDook (12th September 2011), mac_shinobi (11th September 2011)

Thank Post
    The ones supplied on BMWs are Bridgestone, and are rated at 50Mph for 100 miles.

That information tells you what speeds are safe after the puncture and for how long, it is not the maxium speed that the tyre can be used at before the original safety aspect of having run flats become void. The main positive thing about run flats is that your tyres don't burst at high speed if somrthing goes wrong. Remember this thread is about speed and safety not how long you can drive on tyre after the puncture. The information you have cut and pasted is about how long tyres last after something has gone wrong not if the safety aspect can withstand high speed.

You are right on one thing though, the garage could have made a mistake but if you start thinking like that then where do you draw the line, stop flying just incase the planes engine fails?. Its a managed risk based on following correct procedures on servicing and maintaining my car, you must admit I can't do more than I've been doing from a servicing and maintaining prospective.

Someone could suddenly pullout, if you read the thread you will see that I keep mentioning traffic conditions, you would drive not at high speeds past cars in the middle lane, yould wait untill you are well past them and then put your foot down its called common sense. Also one tactic I use to improve safety and reduce my chance of getting pulled over is to find a berk in Porcshe or like car and follow them from about 15-20 seconds back, this great if there is a problem up head they will put their brake lights on so you will have longer to react and also they stand more chance of being pulled over. Very good at night on the M40, so you have the porsche in the middle lane doing lets say 110-115 then your a good distance back but can still see their rear lights, this is nice and safe.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast