+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cars are so expensive in General; Took car in for a service today and to see what the problem was with the car jerking all the ...
    Thank Post

Cars are so expensive

Took car in for a service today and to see what the problem was with the car jerking all the time, turns out needs new spark plugs some tubes or something and other parts replacing costing me in total 302.00 wonderful when you have a wedding to pay for.
    Wish I knew more about cars, as when they speak to me about it on the phone I have no idea what they are going on about. little bit gutted first spend on credit card and its gonna be expensive booooo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Jesus! what car do you have....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Find a local mechanic who comes to your house. If you go to somewhere like Checkatrade or get a recommendation you will be fine and it will be cheaper than a garage. TBH you could do some of it yourself - fitting spark plugs is pretty easy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Jesus! what car do you have....
    54 plate Ford Focus nothing spectacular

This garage came recommended, 3rd garage in Linoln that I have tried and I can never find any which seem to be as reasonable as the ones where my parents live, but thats 2 hours drive away so not very practical.

Thank Post
    Ask for the old parts they have replaced to be returned to you & make sure you get a fully itemised bill & check every line item. Garages usually charge a silly amount for oil, especially if synthetic.... you might find it cheaper to provide your own next time.

Service & repair costs quickly ramp up; Main Stealers will often stick you 40-60+ just to plug the car into a diagnostic computer ; they will also try to charge you 7-10+ for a litre of top-up engine oil(without asking you), not to mention 5 for disposal of old engine oil. If you can be bothered, ask for the old oil back & take it to your local council waste disposal site, who will dispose of it usually for free!

Thank Post
    crumbs, just took my car in for MOT:
    New front pads, rear hoses, rear suspension spring, front ball joint and back half of exhaust and some other bits and bobs all bought fitted for 400 inc mot fee.
    Not bad and all for a BMW!
    Can't say it would be the same at any major chain

Thank Post
    I would take it elsewhere and get a second opinion before paying out 300+

Spark plugs and cables would cost a lot less than 100 brand new and would take a mechanic 10 minutes to fit... you didn't put what else was wrong so that must be whats bumping the price up. How much do they charge for the service? Normally around the 80 mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I would take it elsewhere and get a second opinion before paying out 300+

Spark plugs and cables would cost a lot less than 100 brand new and would take a mechanic 10 minutes to fit... you didn't put what else was wrong so that must be whats bumping the price up. How much do they charge for the service? Normally around the 80 mark
    The cost of the service was 112, which I kind of expected, its costing 84.86 for parts, 40.00 for checking on the diagnostics computer, and about 52.50 for labour.

Only reason I went to this garage is because they are recommended another garage I have been to is the other side of the city this one was practical for getting to work aswell as working 30 mins outside the city needed picking up so it was good for getting a lift to work aswell, and the garages near work are more expensive as they are in a little village. Kinda gutted at the price but have never been able to find somewhere which is reasonable.

Thank Post
    I'd make sure you get an itemised list of what's been replaced... plugs and leads (which is what I'm guessing are being referred to as the cables?) are low cost items and quick to replace. What else did they do on the service for 112... oil change, coolant etc or literally just the items you mentioned?

Replaced the plugs, leads and air filter on my ZR for 40 (and that was good quality NGK plugs as well) using a combination of eBay and local motor factors
    Last edited by gshaw; 7th September 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Its just the interim service, so its mainly just the oil changed and full over all to check everything else is ok. and the other items are to do with the jerking of the car to try and fix that, as far as I understand not really that good with cars so they never make sense to me

Thank Post
    I've got a 2010 SUzuki Swift and had it in for it's first service a few months back and the only materials that were used were oil and a filter and the bill still came to 170!

I rang and complainted and they waffled on about all the visual checks that were done blah blah blah!

Won't be going back there again!

Thank Post
    Seems quite pricey especially as a full service would include a plug change anyway and wouldn't cost much more.
    As stated above get the old bits back, as an ex mechanic i know some of the dodges that went/go on. (not by me though)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    I've got a 2010 SUzuki Swift and had it in for it's first service a few months back and the only materials that were used were oil and a filter and the bill still came to 170!

I rang and complainted and they waffled on about all the visual checks that were done blah blah blah!

Won't be going back there again!
    Main Stealer by any chance?

Thank Post
    Yep it sure was!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Took car in for a service today and to see what the problem was with the car jerking all the time, turns out needs new spark plugs some tubes or something and other parts replacing costing me in total 302.00 wonderful when you have a wedding to pay for.
    Wish I knew more about cars, as when they speak to me about it on the phone I have no idea what they are going on about. little bit gutted first spend on credit card and its gonna be expensive booooo
    I feel your pain. Cars are expensive but IMO, although a lot of money it's not terrible. I often buy my own bits for servicing as my golf PD engine needs a special oil to maintain the engine. cost's me 40 for oil and filter and my local charge me 1/2 hour labour so it's abotu 75 total for my oil change.

Based on what you've said, I'd think you might have saved a bit by doing that but not much. I'd think plugs from camberly auto factors would be about 5 each (20), oil filter between 7 and 15 so say 10 for example. 5 litres of oil costs me 35. If it had HT leads that's going to be about 30-40 if bought yourself, hoses tend to be silly money if they are preformed as often it's main dealer only unless it's a generic piece of pipe (not often) You can assume they'll charge a bit on the parts too but you are over 100 already. I'd be gutted to have to spend the money but I wouldn't feel robbed. In my experience, a recommended garage is a good thing if you trust the referer.

My MOT on friday was 450!! It broke down as 48 for the MOT, 120 for a new CAT (pleasantly surprised, was expecting 300+), 30 worth of CV boots, 27.50 for the oil change and a couple of hours labour to change the boots and CAT. Can't really grumble at any of that for a car with 197,500 miles on the clock and another years motoring but certainly made my butt twitch when I handed over the reddies just insurance in Jan to look forward too now

Happy trucking
    D

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast