+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Cheap Aircon Solution? in General; Just having a look at trying to cool down our small server room (read small walk in store cupboard/area) and ...
    Thank Post

Cheap Aircon Solution?

Just having a look at trying to cool down our small server room (read small walk in store cupboard/area) and wondering if there is such a thing as a cheap portable small aircon unit we could plug in there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts

Thank Post
    Don't forget that you will need to vent it outside. They are a bit noisy as well but they do work.

Thank Post
    We did a deal years ago with a company called "Just Coolers" in Bournemouth. I'm not sure if they have just an internal unit available but a google will turn up their site. I think most effective Air-con needs an external unit but if you do find an internal, I imagine it's going to need regular emptying!!

Hope this helps

David

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    We did a deal years ago with a company called "Just Coolers" in Bournemouth. I'm not sure if they have just an internal unit available but a google will turn up their site. I think most effective Air-con needs an external unit but if you do find an internal, I imagine it's going to need regular emptying!!

Hope this helps

David
    It's not just the water that needs extracting, it's the heat. Otherwise, you'd just be pumping it back into the room. Shame you can't bottle it and save it for the winter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    I think most effective Air-con needs an external unit but if you do find an internal, I imagine it's going to need regular emptying!!
    Our server cupboard is currently coooled by a portable unit from Argos, similar to the one listed above, costing around £150. It's keeping our servers cool enough for the moment until some proper air conditioning can be installed. It vents via a long, flexible tube, so you'll need a window or a hole cut in the wall for that to attach to - ours came with a block of stiff foam that you could cut to wedge in to an open window instead of cutting a hole in the wall. Ours also has a continuous drain option where we can attache a hose to drain water - handily, the server cupboard randomly used to have a sink installed so we happened to have drainage available.

The unit cools but doesn't have much oompf by way of fans, so the air in the room isn't circulating very well - you might want to get a couple of fans or something installed to help it along.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    It's not just the water that needs extracting, it's the heat. Otherwise, you'd just be pumping it back into the room. Shame you can't bottle it and save it for the winter.
    oh yeah, and that. My bad

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't reckon a cheap portable system is the best answer. A local Air Con installer of good reputation installed a smashing wall mounted Fujitsu Inverter system in our small server room this year and I believe it came to well under £2K. The beauty being it works a treat and will have regular maintenance so it's not going to give me Legionella

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have just had a price for a local company to install an Air Con unit in a server room for me that is quite small. I have used Daykin in the past and they are very very good air con units.

I have not got the exact price yet from the supplier but an estimate from them was around the 2k mark.

Regards,

James.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, forgot about it having to vent outside which is a problem as the room is in the middle of the building and no windows! Anyway removed the window about the door to day to at least let the warm air generated vent. If thats not enough may just purchase a wall fan and point it at the servers to aid air flow and the space above the door will allow for air flow. Now to find a small wall mountable fan

Thank Post
    Could you get a bathroom extractor fan and fix it in the gap above the door?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread