+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, VGA to HDMI Adapter / Converter in General; We need three VGA to HDMI Adapters / Converters. Can anyone make any recommendations? We've been advised to steer clear ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

VGA to HDMI Adapter / Converter

We need three VGA to HDMI Adapters / Converters. Can anyone make any recommendations? We've been advised to steer clear of some of the cheaper offerings.

Can any of the Edugeek Suppliers help? PM if you can. Thanks.

We need to add three Panasonic TVs to our digital signage system and they went and purchased a model without VGA didn't they despite me saying what I needed...

Humphhhhhhhh....

Thank Post
    Don’t dismiss the cheap option. When I looked you could buy four for the price of a domestic unit.

I bought one off eBay for a primary school that I support. It was from Hong Kong for about 30. Three years later it’s still working.

Not so for the Phillips TV it was attached to. The sound failed a year ago which was beyond economic repair. I had to sort that out by using external speakers.

3. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

tech_guy (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Not used it but used other startech stuff:

VGA/HD with Audio to HDMI Format Converter - Misco.co.uk

Ben

5. 2 Thanks to plexer:

mrwobbly (31st August 2011), tech_guy (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Not sure if this helps but I use a DVI to HDMI cable at home, not sure if the PC you have or use has DVI out ( obviously take into consideration that there is DVI - I and DVI-D ) so need to ensure you get the correct cable for the DVI type connector your PC graphics card has or uses so it matches the cables DVI connector ( obviously ).

I know you can get those mini block vga to dvi connectors but that would mean purchasing x amount of DVI to HDMI cables and x amount of VGA to DVI convertor block things.

Depending on the DVI type interface will determine if it can pass VGA signal through it to the hdmi end of the cable ( if I recall correctly )

7. 2 Thanks to mac_shinobi:

mrwobbly (31st August 2011), tech_guy (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure if this helps but I use a DVI to HDMI cable at home, not sure if the PC you have or use has DVI out ( obviously take into consideration that there is DVI - I and DVI-D ) so need to ensure you get the correct cable for the DVI type connector your PC graphics card has or uses so it matches the cables DVI connector ( obviously ).

I know you can get those mini block vga to dvi connectors but that would mean purchasing x amount of DVI to HDMI cables and x amount of VGA to DVI convertor block things.

Depending on the DVI type interface will determine if it can pass VGA signal through it to the hdmi end of the cable ( if I recall correctly )
    Correct me if I’m wrong but VGA is analog. DVI is digital.

To get a signal from a VGA source to a DVI input requires a convertor (powered box of tricks) to convert an analog signal to a digital signal. No amount of cables and cable convertors will achieve the desired result.

What you are saying is correct if going from DVI or HDMI source to a VGA input.

From what I read from the OP’s post he only has a VGA source and needs to convert to a HDMI or DVI input.

9. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    The OP hasn't actually said that the system driving the tv's only has vga output and if the graphics cards did indeed also have a DVI output then it's a possible solution.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys but unfortunately we only have VGA out on the PCs. Some things are sent to try us :-/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The OP hasn't actually said that the system driving the tv's only has vga output and if the graphics cards did indeed also have a DVI output then it's a possible solution.

Ben
    Absolutely but the OP was Tech_Guy. (Before I answer I do look at who has posted it.)

He knows his stuff and I assumed he would not have requested TV’s with VGA if he could have connected via DVI or HDMI.

13. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

Thank Post
    Personally if I could I'd get some low profile graphics cards with DVI and a DVI to HDMI convertor. You know it is going to work then rather than mess around with cheap convertors which may or may not work.

15. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    In my case it’s been old laptops given a new lease of life driving the displays.

17. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for the help guys. Usual scenario - job planned and costed and by using a couple of old PCs to drive the content it should have come it at x but thanks to people not buying what I asked or rather making sure they had what I asked for (vga ports) we're now over budget and there's no way I'm upgrading two old PCs. They can just buy the adapters and I can walk away from the job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought, but what other input ports do the TV's have? Aux, composite? There may still be a way around this yet!!

20. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

tech_guy (1st September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwobbly View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but VGA is analog. DVI is digital.

To get a signal from a VGA source to a DVI input requires a convertor (powered box of tricks) to convert an analog signal to a digital signal. No amount of cables and cable convertors will achieve the desired result.

What you are saying is correct if going from DVI or HDMI source to a VGA input.

From what I read from the OP’s post he only has a VGA source and needs to convert to a HDMI or DVI input.
    The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:
    • DVI-D (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
    • DVI-A (analog only)
    • DVI-I (integrated - digital and analog)

As per my first comment - I mentioned it depends on the type of DVI interface ( Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

As per dos boxes comment though - if there are other inputs on the TV we could get it connected in another way

Also I presume getting a video card that has DVI output(s) is out of the question ?

22. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Hi Tech Guy, Sy Electronics are pretty good for converters, splitters etc. Dont work for them and not on commission, but we do use them quite a lot.

Leilani
    Navaho

24. Thanks to Navaho from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread