+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Redundancy of IT Staff and outsourcing whole ICT in General; Hi guys, I was wondering if the management at school, where I am currently workng as a network amanger, decide ...

Thank Post

Wink Redundancy of IT Staff and outsourcing whole ICT

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the management at school, where I am currently workng as a network amanger, decide to outsource ICT support and management to an outside comapny is there a way for us a stechies to keep our jobs the would be within a legal right to get rid of us?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    If I recall, yes i.e. look at when companies move support to india, so I guess so.

Only thing why is this happening? outsourcing isnt great but can half work in a private company but it just doesnt work in a school. I saved 10k when I started at my school by getting rid of outsource support plus jobs down from 10 - 15 a day to 1 a day (I mostly do strategy/ project work now)

Only reason I would think they are outsourcing is to get rid of you (Not saying you re a bad IT Guy!) its a good sidestep to get around the issue.

Thank Post
    You need to read up on TUPE - Transfer of undertakings (TUPE) - Acas - by the sounds of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Yes, they are legally obliged to use TUPE - but there is a clause that they can get rid of you anyway for 'economic, technical or organisational' reasons which they need to prove.

Thank Post
    They can also move you across on TUPE and then work to make you sign a new contract, ie tempt you with more holiday or higher pay. when you're under a new contract all bets are off.

Thank Post
    Thank you guys for yur prompt replies.
    I don't think the school has a reason to get rid of ICT staff for economic reason, as I know that money isn't a problem here. Also, they can't do it for technical reason either, as I've been here for 11 years and have been running the network with no issues. But I will look into TUPE and ACAS to see if there are any other areas I need to watch!

Any more advice in terms of watching my back, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Without being too arsy if the school has plenty of money and you're running the network fine then I'd question why you think the school might want to get rid of you personally and fix that.

Thank Post
    May be because SLT might think things could be even cheaper and better with outsourcing! Things have happened in the last academic year which I don't like and can't mention here. Also,there is a member of staff who's got in for me and tried to cause problems, that's why I am always suspicious what migh happen next!
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Perhaps you might need to gather as much information so as to enlighten them to the costs involved by getting the ICT outsourced. It can seem cost effective to start with but then the major upgrades can outweigh the previous savings, also the response time to logged calls, they most likely would have to wait quite a while rather than getting imediate response to urgent issues.
    Fight your corner..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Perhaps you might need to gather as much information so as to enlighten them to the costs involved by getting the ICT outsourced. It can seem cost effective to start with but then the major upgrades can outweigh the previous savings, also the response time to logged calls, they most likely would have to wait quite a while rather than getting imediate response to urgent issues.
    Fight your corner..
    I will definately fight my corner as I need it to keep my job!, thanks.

Thank Post
    Network Managers can be vunerable in outsourcing situations; An outsourcing provider may argue that they can remotely manage the schools ICT service & achieve economies of scale (by eliminating the local network management role) thus providing savings which can be passed back to the 'customer'.

What will be missing in any quantity will be the 'free' technical advice, design & consultancy & local knowledge provided by most experienced network managers.

Outsourcing companies quite often bid low.... & prune costs to the bone to make the deal look attractive, clawing back costs (& profit) afterwards by charging for all of the things that were conveniently left out of the contract to keep the price low.

If it comes to a direct fight, you need to make sure when the school is comparing the cost of their existing ICT service vs Outsourced that they include absolutely everything they need in any draft contract & get this is priced in.

I heard of one school who had a managed ICT service where the school got invoiced if they used a projector in a classroom after 4pm..... they failed to spot the clause in the contract for projector use only covered school hours....

12. 2 Thanks to broc:

armadillo (30th August 2011), Sylv3r (30th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having been in the same situation myself, the way around is is that they will most likely say that the outsourcing company will be taking on the work you cant do, and teaching the rest of the staff to do the stuff you normally would do (Add users, MIS stuff, printer fixing etc). Thats how they got around it with me, and the fact that they paid double my wage for this is ridiculous!!

Thank Post
    In this case they can still make us redundanteven though there is plenty of work for to do?
    Was the reason for chaging things at your school economical or else?
    Tahnks for your help.

Thank Post
    If I even got a wiff of someone here saying 3rd party support (taking any amoutn of my jobs) I would jump ship ASAP

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, there was plenty to do at mine (recabling, building a new suite, fixing GPOs etc) and I still got made redundant! Was not impressed to say the least but hey ho!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast