+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Redundancy of IT Staff and outsourcing whole ICT in General; Having worked in a large outsourcing company and having worked on the proposal/contract side, I can tell you that the ...

Thank Post
    Having worked in a large outsourcing company and having worked on the proposal/contract side, I can tell you that the legality to your employee contract and whatever local laws state. It might be as simple as "your job is now redundant", and that is that....
    Now in saying this, it is often better to retain key (if not all) staff as it would be poor practice to get rid of all staff....In fact if a company that I was trying to bring over suggested that we retain no staff, I had to add 15-20% or more to the bid price as a risk reserve for contingency....it is a high risk move to go down this path....

Whether or not outsourcing will happen depends on how committed management are to going down this path (often it can be bloody minded stupidity or just a cost bottom line), and if they are willing to live the SLA's that are agreed upon. I can tell you, that outsourcing companies manage to the contract and the contracted SLA's and nothing else. Your management need to understand the difference between what the outsourcing SLA's means compared to what is currently offerred....there is often a large chasm here. This is where you need to "help" in the understanding here by having proper baselines for all aspects of support.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if the management at school, where I am currently workng as a network amanger, decide to outsource ICT support and management to an outside comapny is there a way for us a stechies to keep our jobs the would be within a legal right to get rid of us?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    If I even got a wiff of someone here saying 3rd party support (taking any amoutn of my jobs) I would jump ship ASAP
    Why would you say that? I have a mixture of fulltime and 3rd Party Support. For example, I have 200hrs p.a. with a services company to provide everything from consultation services, implementation services and "help I do not know what on earth is going on here services"...and it works well.... It is no different to the model any company uses these days...
    I get a $200-$250 an hour resource for 200 hrs a year at a cost of $25,000. To me that is one hell of a bargain and a very clever way to supplement resources without the need to permanent staff...They usually arrive withing 2-4hrs depending on the urgency of a problem (and this is still within my teams agreed SLA structure).......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Having been in the same situation myself, the way around is is that they will most likely say that the outsourcing company will be taking on the work you cant do, and teaching the rest of the staff to do the stuff you normally would do (Add users, MIS stuff, printer fixing etc). Thats how they got around it with me, and the fact that they paid double my wage for this is ridiculous!!
    hmmm...you know the secret....don't tell anybody....lol...

Being the "Contract Manager" is a good deal....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Network Managers can be vunerable in outsourcing situations; An outsourcing provider may argue that they can remotely manage the schools ICT service & achieve economies of scale (by eliminating the local network management role) thus providing savings which can be passed back to the 'customer'.

What will be missing in any quantity will be the 'free' technical advice, design & consultancy & local knowledge provided by most experienced network managers.

Outsourcing companies quite often bid low.... & prune costs to the bone to make the deal look attractive, clawing back costs (& profit) afterwards by charging for all of the things that were conveniently left out of the contract to keep the price low.

If it comes to a direct fight, you need to make sure when the school is comparing the cost of their existing ICT service vs Outsourced that they include absolutely everything they need in any draft contract & get this is priced in.

I heard of one school who had a managed ICT service where the school got invoiced if they used a projector in a classroom after 4pm..... they failed to spot the clause in the contract for projector use only covered school hours....

This advice is correct....and it is the "end-user" who notices the most change.....

Thank Post
    Well I do have printer service contracts etc.. but if someone took over general server management I know I wouldnt have long left

Thank Post
    Thank you guys for yur prompt replies.
    I don't think the school has a reason to get rid of ICT staff for economic reason, as I know that money isn't a problem here. Also, they can't do it for technical reason either, as I've been here for 11 years and have been running the network with no issues. But I will look into TUPE and ACAS to see if there are any other areas I need to watch!

Any more advice in terms of watching my back, would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Do you know why they are outsourcing?

Its interesting we almost went down the BSF route in fact we were in the process of just starting when the Gov stopped it (thank god). Even our Head didnt want to out source us - he wanted all the new kits/money though. After a lot of research and time we spent in to it and also Outsourcing IT this school just will not go down that route because it is not worth the cost. Even our external skill site looked in to it and realised it would just be too much. What happens when some one wants a simple password reset? projector clean? or basic IT support where a cable gets plugged in. Although the staff would have to be more independant I just do not see how it can benefit.

Thank Post
    Thank you very much for your comments guys.
    I agree with companies sticking to SLAs and nothing else will be provided without incuring more costs, I've seen in an academy down the road, therefore the school would loose vital extra services which are usually provided as part of the package from internal ICT staff.

I won't jump ship yet, as I'll wait until a decison is taken and of course watch my back as not to lose any redundancy cash!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    What happens when some one wants a simple password reset? projector clean? or basic IT support where a cable gets plugged in.
    These are all standard services that would be provided by an Outsourcing service provider, using onsite technicians. Where it gets interesting is when the school decides if wants to upgrade from say Office 2007 to Office 2010, or introduce a set of iPads or similar tablet devices. Unless the contract includes upgrades at no extra cost the school will have to pay extra. The school may find it is locked into having the Outsourcing company supply & implement new hardware at whatever pricing they set.... these are areas where the costs start to stack up.

Thank Post
    *mthomas08 "Do you know why they are outsourcing?"

They haven't outsourced yet- I heard it in the grape vine a couple of months ago!

Thank Post
    if it comes to it, set yourself and your technicians up as an external contracting company and compete for the contract... if you don't get it, the outcome is the same, if you do, then thats great. lets face you have a unique selling point, prior knowledge.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    if it comes to it, set yourself and your technicians up as an external contracting company and compete for the contract... if you don't get it, the outcome is the same, if you do, then thats great. lets face you have a unique selling point, prior knowledge.
    Thanks for your advice; the idea crossed my mind a few times!

Thank Post
    Thanks for your advice; the idea crossed my mind a few times!
    You will probably find that you will not meet the financial /risk criteria to actually do this......not saying it is not possible, just not probable.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12