+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Near Miss in General; Being an ex-biker myself I'm well aware of the dangers, but the moron who nearly totaled himself and my wife ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Near Miss

Being an ex-biker myself I'm well aware of the dangers, but the moron who nearly totaled himself and my wife and I on the Fosse Way this afternoon needs his a$$ kicking all the way to Brighton. He must have been doing 100mph and was overtaking and missed us coming the other way at 60mph by millimeters. Dork head.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Bet that was scary - glad you are OK
    Something similar happened to mrwITch and me once - the guy coming the other way was overtaking a horse box and he swung out too late and didnt see us - he swiped the car all down one side - both tyres exploded, the doors were squashed in and the dog ended up on the dashboard (she was OK). I've never been as terrified as I was at that moment.
    When I wrestled my way out of the car and ran down the road shouting expletives at him, he looked at me and asked if it was a company car - when I admitted it was, he said "so's mine, so that's OK then"
    He nearly didnt live any longer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...asked if it was a company car - when I admitted it was, he said "so's mine, so that's OK then"
    My mum had someone pull out and crash into the side of her while she had a young child and a 1 year old baby in the car. The driver didn't seem bothered and said "oh well, that's what fully comp is for". Turns out she was a mid wife in a rush to get to the hospital. Great attitude, wonder what she'd say to the mother if my mum had flipped it (which she very nearly did)... "oh well, you can just have another eh"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Scary experience Tech_Guy. Some crazy gits about. On the other hand what I appreciate is a savy motorbike rider who acknowledges that the driver of the car in front has seen him / her in their rear view mirror - moved closer to the curb to allow them room to overtake then once past gives a wave of acknowledgement. Invariably these folk are wearing full leathers not the numpties who wear jeans and a leather jacket on the bike. I'm just back from a week in Wales and my experiences of drivers on roundabouts there left me wondering if many drivers had ever passed a driving test - indicating seemed to be an option not the rule!

5. Thanks to speckytecky from:

michael2k6 (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I'm finding at the moment that's it's the kids on mopeds that do my head in. No proper gear, tearing down on a wet road wearing just trainers and jeans with no gloves. For some reason they want to race me when it comes to a set of lights - Hmmmm 650 v a 100cc hairdryer.....Morons.
    Gave such a mouthful to one the other day as he did the ultimate biker sin and did no life safer look as he pulled out right in front of me - the look on his face when I started calling him all the names under the sun.... He even had the nerve to say " us bikers should stick together " to which I replied it's little pricks like you that give us a bad name. I told him to get off his hair dryer, take a proper biking course before he has to be scraped off the tarmac using a shovel.

Thank Post
    Glad you are undamaged!

Having just been through the biking test system, I have to say that the driving test, although harder to pass, doesn't seem to be particularly good at discriminating good from bad drivers. The hazard awareness video test is a joke; you have to click on things that as an experienced, safe driver, I have described as "Not hazards, but bl00dy dangerouses". To top it all, the Govt are going to fiddle with the system again. Neither my instructor, nor the "off road" examiner were at all confident that the mess wasn't going to be made worse.

Must say, it is good to be back on a bike after 25 years! (Guzzi Breva 750)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Glad you are undamaged!

Having just been through the biking test system, I have to say that the driving test, although harder to pass, doesn't seem to be particularly good at discriminating good from bad drivers. The hazard awareness video test is a joke; you have to click on things that as an experienced, safe driver, I have described as "Not hazards, but bl00dy dangerouses". To top it all, the Govt are going to fiddle with the system again. Neither my instructor, nor the "off road" examiner were at all confident that the mess wasn't going to be made worse.

Must say, it is good to be back on a bike after 25 years! (Guzzi Breva 750)
    The whole thing of riding a bike these days is nothing more than a delibrate attempt by governments to make it as difficult as possible. Not only difficult but very expensive too. The whole idea [ well used to be ] of riding a bike was that is was a cheaper mode of transport, less tax, less insurance, less petrol etc etc. Now as more and more people take it up as it's quicker to get somewhere and in some cases cheaper the government know they are not cashing in so try to make it as difficult as possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread