+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pupils Behaviour! in General; Hi there, As a newly employed IT Technician, the day has come when i have had to interact with the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Pupils Behaviour!

Hi there,

As a newly employed IT Technician, the day has come when i have had to interact with the children, and i must admit i was over-whelmed!

They can be rather "intimidating", I really do not know what to do or say if a pupil starts playing up, like today i was changing a PSU in a PC and they were pulling faces through the window and knockin the door and running off.

Can anybody give me any advice on what to do?

Im only 19 so im a little shy/nervous to have a go or shout at them i just stare at them with evil eyes.

I know you cant say much to them because....well you just cant can you?

Im at a loose end cuz if you do nothing then they think you're a push over and if you do something you cant do much...... Ive been at my new school about 2 weeks now and this is the 1st day im actually not liking the job (just down to the flamin kids!)

Cheers Guys!

Martin

Thank Post

Re: Pupils Behaviour!

I just play along with them, I'm not a teacher, so I can be a bit more "Pally Pally"!

Thank Post

It's hard to say really, you have to develop you're own style. Look at teachers that you think do a good job and try and take some ideas. I still remember being 19 (that makes me sound really old!) looking after a lunch time open IT room and having a kid hiding under the tables. Without even looking under there I just said in a loud voice, "Reception class is down the hall if you want to play hide and seek or have a nap. Leave now." Whole room laughed nad the kid decided to leave quickly. As you said, becareful being too easy as then it's harder to be taken serious.
    Easier to be hard arse and become softer than soft and then try and be hard arse

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was in the same position for a while. Don't worry about it, they soon level out. Just be fair (but not a pushover). The kids will respect you for that. Also don't treat them like idiots, treat them like you'd treat anyone else.

If they act up, warn them a couple of times and ensure you follow your disciplinary policies (ie, breaktime detentions, etc...). You have to follow through at some point else they will realise that you are all talk and no action.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, as far as im aware i cant give detentions....Im just support staff really.

A good idea is what TechMonkey said, maybe if i open up the IT rooms for lunch times and sit in there then maybe they might get to know me, and then i ca be a bit stricter, but i just honestly havent got it in myself to shout (not yet anyway)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Martin

First found out the punishment procedures etc for example to we have to fill in a green slip with details on and what we did. Next found out how to put a student into detention.

Best way is act confident for example in case of pulling faces go out to them in stern voice "Say if you don't have anything better to do then you can join me at break/lunch and we can discuss your behaviour."

Then when they come back make them write one A4 side of why their behaviour was not appropriate.

When it comes to student saying "your not a teacher you can't do anything" make a show of them and get them into detention..

General advice start of really hard with them and as they get to know you ease of little bit.

As for knocking on the door let me guess they are girls maybe sorry you being young and male won't help.

Try and find the form tutor of said people and have word with form tutor.

Read up on how actors project their voice speaking from diaphragm (trurst me it helps)

Do a google classroom behaviour management techniques ok not all going to be relevant but some will be..

Also go and ask person who is charge of NQT's for advice as they will often be able to help you with ideas and technique.

Most of all don't let it get you down you will be fine...

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Also just because you are support staff doesn't mean you can't give out detentions.

Russell

Thank Post

Only ever once gave a detention where 2 pupils were playing up for a suply teacher. They had deleted each others work and then come to ask me to restore it. I told them that as they had wasted my time looking and loading the files, I would waste theirs and got them in at lunchtime to clean keyboards

Never happend since. But then I treat the kids the same as they treat me(mostly) If they are nice to me I am nice back. I'm not paid to discipline the kids and will only say something if it could cause problems with my work (ie. kids swinging their bags stood next to monitors) But then I have told staff that anyone I find misusing the computers/network will have their access removed...no debate. But I am lucky and am supported by the ICT Co-Ordinator. Talk to the teaching staff and explain that you want support for any discipline you give the pupils. They may be able to suggest ways that will work for your pupils, or at the very least back you up when you do shout/give detention etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    As for knocking on the door let me guess they are girls maybe sorry you being young and male won't help.
    They actually wasn't, they were a group of 15/16 (age wise) lads, i just opened the door and the one chap ran off and i gave the rest "cut eyes".

I might actually look into classroom techniques that is a good idea! - Thanks

Like i was sitting next to a group of 10/11 yr old lads and the one looked at me and said "Are You A Geek?" i just went what makes you say that?
    and he said "You've got a palmtop" i said well there you go you know what it is!, and his reply was "Yeh Duh everyone knows what one is"

God i really wanna smack em (obviously i wouldnt) lol

Its something i think that comes with time but god that time had better come quick!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

"Yes I am a geek" would have been my response. And proud of it :P I've just turned 20 and been doing this since 2003 and it does come with time... slightly more difficult for me as I was a student here before but it does get better

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In the 10 months I've been here I have given half a dozen break time detentions and sent a couple of people to our behaviour manager to be 'blue slipped' which means they get letters home.

Oh and I've done plenty of shouting :-P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There is a BIG twist in this topic which im really sorry but forgot to mention

Im working in a private school, and i get the impression the kids are like "im paying you" if you get me, its over 8,000 quid to come to this school so its a big thing really.

Sorry forgot to mention that part!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't see that as a problem. If their parents knew that their kids were behaving in a less than satisfactory manner then I am sure they would be complaining that the school wasn't doing its job.

It doesn't matter if it is a private school or not, the kids still need discipline.

Thank Post

I generally ignore kids entirely, they don't really exist unless they speak to me directly and politely, then i'm polite and apparently quite funny back.

It's VERY rare for a students to be anything less than polite to me, partly because I control their internet access and by god do they know it! I'm far from popular though.

Perhaps my "style" is just well developed, been working as I.T. support in schools for almost 10 years, god I feel old!

I agree with those that mentioned making a stand, get to staff and get those kids in detention. You're there to do a job not be a target.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    I generally ignore kids entirely, they don't really exist unless they speak to me directly and politely, then i'm polite and apparently quite funny back.

It's VERY rare for a students to be anything less than polite to me, partly because I control their internet access and by god do they know it! I'm far from popular though.

Perhaps my "style" is just well developed, been working as I.T. support in schools for almost 10 years, god I feel old!

I agree with those that mentioned making a stand, get to staff and get those kids in detention. You're there to do a job not be a target.
    Wow - that's spooky. Are you me?

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast