+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pupils Behaviour! in General; I'm in a Private School too -all be it a prep school, so the kids are younger and more manageable. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts

Re: Pupils Behaviour!

I'm in a Private School too -all be it a prep school, so the kids are younger and more manageable. Arrogance won't be tolerated by the teaching staff and it shouldn't be by you.

You really do need to talk other support staff (the caretaker is probably a good one - he'll have seen it all) and find out what actions you can take. As soon as the kids discover that you do know exactly what you are able to do, they are more likely to co-operate.

One thing I will say is something that I say to my own children... don't react to minor wind-ups like banging on windows.

You're not much older than these kids and they just see you as another lad they can try to wind up. If they think they can do it easily they'll continue. If they can see it has no effect they'll move on to someone easier to wind up.

Selective deafness is an asset - as is razor sharp hearing when they're whispering in the IT Suite.

Good Luck

Thank Post

I just enforce the rules, not just the AUP but general school rules, when i started working at the school, i was 23 and i got all sorts of comments from mainly the girls. soon sorted that out by standing up to them. Im polite and patient with the kids when there sweet, but I can come down on them like ton of bricks when i get shit from them. kids love computers and been the tech support dude i can soon wipe away internet, email or even the computer account. we have a kid recently who refussed to go to lessons. his computer account got dissabled, thus he got bored as he couldnt play internet games, he soon got the idea, and started going to his lessons. I will be enabling his computer account on tuesday. I do lunch time duty, which has been fantastic as i get to know the kids much better. I dont know if any one has noticed this but if you know the kids name and you are giving them an instruction they take loads more notice, were as if you dont they tend to try and walk all over you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    I just enforce the rules, not just the AUP but general school rules, when i started working at the school, i was 23 and i got all sorts of comments from mainly the girls.
    I will agree with this 100%. I enforce the school rules (even if I don't personally agree with some of them) as do the other support staff. It presents a uniform front from the staff to the kids. Remember, girls will be girls, you'll soon get used to it and start to find their behaviour funny.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help guys,

Im just finding it really hard to be able to shout or have authority over the kids.

Is this something that comes with time or does it take you to be that sort of person?

Thank Post

you dont want to shout at the kids, it gets you know where with them, you only ever hear a teacher shout when they feel the disipline is going out the window. You just have to be calm. It will pass over, dont let it bother you. Right now I would concentrate on getting to know the staff and the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having the confidence to be an authority figure comes with time. I agree you shouldn't often shout at the kids. The only time I have done is when they are outrageously badly behaved, the rest of the time it is just a stern, strong voice that is needed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah i suppose just got me quite down today when all this happened, I felt useless and jst stupid really!

When the kids were pulling faces at the window i just went to the door and opened it and he ran off, i just looked at the others and no words would come out of my mouth and that makes me look stupid, oh well!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Ric

I disagree raising voice has a place but use it with care the students know If I have to raise my voice then it means trouble.

But that is why suggest look at how actors project the voice as that is what your after not the pure hurt your throat shouting.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts

I agree about shouting... Remember your own teachers? Remember the ones who went purple in the face and had no control of the class? Remember the teachers who never seemed to have to shout at exactly the same class?

There is a tone of voice that lets them know that you will stand no nonsense but isn't shouting - more of a warning really. My 13 year old calls it my scarey voice. She says it means she's in serious trouble if she carries on! (Doesn't always stop her though; but that's because I'm her Mum!!)

Your confidence will improve with time... and do learn their names. The truly appalling ones are usually easy the first you learn as you here all the other staff disciplining them. Remember that you are a member of staff, you are an adult and that they will be expected by the school to behave with everyone.

Finally, a teacher's tip: Get a copy of "Getting the Buggers to Behave" by Sue Cowley ISBN-10: 0826449786 - It's well worth a tenner.

Thank Post

The only people you should be shouting at are the teachers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tone of the voice.... Well put that is what I meant when I was on about projecting the voice and all...

Just put more elegantly..

But I am going to check out that book...

Russ

Thank Post

I started when i was 20 and had the same concerns. It will come with time.

Talk to them like you would expect to be spoken too. If you start being a dick to them they will be twice of a dick to you, and theres no need for you to speak to them like a child - they will not respect you for this.

Obviously this depends on situation; but answer them back. They will either go bright red and run off, or they will take it as a joke and see you are treating them as an equal, not as their superior. I found the mouthy ones now just like to have a laugh with me rather than trying to wind me.

Dont react, they'll come back and do it again if they think they'll get a reaction.

And probably most importantly (imo) - dont hold a grudge and dont go on what other people tell you. Just because a "bad boy" has a name doesnt mean he actaully is bad, he could be loverly underneath and just happened to go though a rough patch thus earning a name he cant shake (which shouldnt be the case as we are supposed to be the adults, as such we should give 2nd chances).
    Going on what other people opinions are just confirms the childs befiefs that "everyones out to get him", which is perfectly justified if supposedly impartial adults wont give him a fair chance. Ive found that the "bad boys" are fine with me as i treat them how they expect to be treat, like adults.

Obviously theres always one little barstuard who will never get the message, but give everyone the benfit of the doubt and you'll be alright

Thank Post

I suspect that your biggest problem is that, being only 19, you probably find it hard to be authoritative with anyone, especially people so similar in age to you (I had similar here, as I am much closer to the students' age than I am to most of my colleagues!) but what you need to remember is that you are a staff member so you should feel able to act like one. What's more, the students will see you as a staff member (maybe a young and "cool" staff member, but a staff member nonetheless) so wouldn't be surprised by discipline from you. They should offer you the same level of respect which they do to the teaching staff - e.g. politeness, obedience, holding doors open, etc.

The jokes, door knocking and giggles will almost certainly subside once the novelty of a new bloke wears off, and also once they've got the measure of you (and once they've got bored and moved on to other things too). Try not to take these things personally, as I doubt they mean them in that way.

I don't think that being in an independent school (as I am too) means they "own" you and can therefore treat you how they want to. Again, they should offer you the same respect which they give the teachers because, let's face it, they also pay the Headteacher, but I'm sure they'd never act up like that for him!

I can't comment on whether or not you can give detentions, as schools differ on that. At my school, I can't sign the detention slip, however the ICT Co-ordinator is yet to refuse to sign one on my behalf. In one instance, I told a kid off for messing around and the ICT Co-ord (who was also in the room) then had a go at the student for a)messing around and b) distracting me from my work! Also, as others have said, uphold whatever the school rules are. If they see that they can get away with stuff in front of you, then they are more likely to take you for a ride and you will find disciplining them much harder if you later need to.

Treat the students as you would like to be treated; generally I can have a laugh with our girls (even the "bad" ones) yet I still have their respect and they will do as I ask them.

I think that the short answer to you question (which this hasn't been!) is that it will largely come with time and experience, however you should not expect to take any cr*p - you are a member of staff and should be treated like one, feel free to act like one :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Im very grateful to you and everyone on this topic for there reply's! its really greatly appreciated!

I think the problem mainly boils down to age, i think its down to about 1 year ago i was in there place, - a student!, Maybe ive just gotta make the transition to thinking im a member of staff.... :S

Thank Post

How glad I am that I didn't start in a secondary school for this reason. I'm 21 and I think starting in a secondary would have put me off working in education forever.

In a primary school I don't have the trouble of being the same age as the pupils. In fact the only people that are my age are the student teachers who come there from college on a temp basis.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast