+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Got to love the local butcher in General; Rang up for some priced of some meat, as I always like to use the local butchers where possible, and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries

Got to love the local butcher

Rang up for some priced of some meat, as I always like to use the local butchers where possible, and he let me know this gem of info!!

5lbs of unsmoked back bacon for £10
    2.2lbs of bacon bits for £1.99
    1lb of diced pork for £2.99
    1lb of diced beef for £3.99
    1lb of diced lamb for £4.99
    1 whole chicken diced up for £3.99

Tesco/Asda/Morrisons cant compete with that!

Whilst I wouldn't get the bacon, I cant believe the price he is offering for them!!! (All local, I know the farm where the meat comes from) Absolutely awesome!

Thank Post
    1lb diced beef @ Asda, £3.84: Cookies Detecting

1lb diced pork @ Asda, ~£2.81: Cookies Detecting

The lamb is about 25p per lb more expensive though: Cookies Detecting

Not sure how you've worked out the supermarkets can't compete?

(Edit: links might not work, but they were all supposed to point to each product at Asda)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tbh its so close in price I would always go for local butcher, I have found supermarkets can be very variable in quality although ymmv.

Now I have an urge to go to my butcher for a gander.... they make the best burgers in town.

Thank Post
    When it comes to nice steak and sausages, the local butchers is the way to go! Even better now as a lot seem to start using chip & pin machines which used to be rare when they are in the middle of nowhere!

Our local butchers makes his own special sausages. One week, the special was what he called the "jalapeño love boat" - a huge footlong sausage made with pork and jalapeños plus herbs and spices. A small sprinkle of breadcrumbs as well and they were still about 99% meat.

Tasted amazing too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Not sure how you've worked out the supermarkets can't compete?
    I think he may have meant quality wise compared to the water and preservative full meat the supermarkets sell.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Our local butchers makes his own special sausages. One week, the special was what he called the "jalapeño love boat" - a huge footlong sausage made with pork and jalapeños plus herbs and spices. A small sprinkle of breadcrumbs as well and they were still about 99% meat.
    WANTS!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    WANTS!!!!!
    Westonzoyland Butchers if you fancy a day trip out.

He did sweet chilli beef sausages once too and they were amazing! I was sold as he puts samples out for people to try! I may have "double dipped" with the samples.

Thank Post
    We always use our local butcher when we can.
    Mainly because the wife loves to get deals on quanitty and then pack the freezer out with meat.. lasts for months!

They will usually do a good deal for things like "A whole lamb", cut up into bits of course. Or half a pig.
    We drew the line (and the Freezer would have bust!) at 1/4 of a cow, because that was TOO much meat still.

That and the last time I was in there I heard words from the butchers mouth that I haven't heard in a shop for years.

"and that'll be £X, £X-5 for cash"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The "local butcher" vs "National conglomerate" were put into sharp relief for me, a few years ago.....

My sister is an accountant, and was doing a software install and start-up for a food company in Suffolk. Whilst she was there, she asked about the quality of the meats that the supermarkets buy, and was told this......

A Quality - Waitrose, M&S

B Quality - Sainsburys, Asda, Morrison

C Quality - Tesco, Safeway,

D Quality - Aldi, Lidl

I'm pretty sure that's how it went.....But it got me thinking. If you have a good local butcher, it is much more worthwhile to use them, as you can pretty much guarantee the quality of the meat, whereas if Tesco / Aldi are the closest supermarkets, there's no saying what the meat will be like. Also, you are keeping your money in the local community

Thank Post
    I've been told first hand that the grade is much the same for watercress.
    A) M&S Waitrose
    B) Sains
    C)CoOp

Extrapolate for any foodstuff I suppose.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Local butcher, local meat, far better taste.

Also, like for like at the tesco/asda/morrisons butchers are more expensive than the shelf prepackaged meats (I dont buy the pre-packaged shelf stuff as to be honest its a waste of packaging, has a high water content, and tastes awful compared to the fresh stuff from my local butcher). Add to this I know where the meat comes from (its all less than 15 miles from my house) and he will do a deal if I buy in bulk.

Once bought £50 worth of BBQ meat from him, ended up with 100 pork ribs (40 chinese style, 40 bbq style, 20 plain), 40 burgers (100% beef), 40 sausages (they have next to no padding out, I think its like 5% breadcrumbs to prevent them from exploding, 10 pork and apple, 10 chilli beef, 10 cumberlands, 10 lincolnshires), and 20 chicken drumsticks (all BBQ).

Also if you order in advance, you can get kangaroo (yes I know it is not local) and any other animal you can find. If you have a deer (for example from roadkill), you pay him a "leg of venison" and he will butcher the rest up for you however you like!

12. Thanks to nephilim from:

Rawns (26th August 2011)

Thank Post
    I go to my local butcher as much as possible but go to Waitrose to get most other things...

One thing I have found out is that if you like beef, the Dry Aged Beef from Waitrose is actually quite excellent and well priced compared to other people doing dry aging.

Also look for rib roasts as these are often priced a LOT lower than rib eye steak yet it is where the rib eye comes from and you get the bone which adds SO much flavour!

And one more thing, check out the cheaper cuts of beef, Onglet, Feather etc as these produce wonderfull steak as long as you cut it right before cooking... last time I checked feather blade/feather was coming out at about £8 a kilo from Waitrose so might be cheaper still from the local butchers.

last thing, get your hands on some pigs cheeks.... braise in a pot with a bottle of red wine, onions and chorizo for about 3 hours.

win

14. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

Rawns (26th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Forgot to mention that last weekend, we went to a friends house for a BBQ and one mate went to his local butchers and bought some minted lamb steaks for the occasion. Not only were they really think cut steaks and coated in locally made mint sauce, but the butcher told him exactly which farm the lamb came from and when it was slaughtered.

It would take a lot of convincing to change my mind about supermarkets providing meat that's just as good. There have been occasions where I've treated myself to a 15 day matured extra special rib eye steak from Asda, and yes it's been lovely, but the equivalent from the local butcher have been eve better!

Even if you buy the extra special air dried back bacon from Asda, you can fry it and still have all that nasty white stuff seep out of it. I never get a trace of it from the butchers bacon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Forgot to mention that last weekend, we went to a friends house for a BBQ and one mate went to his local butchers and bought some minted lamb steaks for the occasion. Not only were they really think cut steaks and coated in locally made mint sauce, but the butcher told him exactly which farm the lamb came from and when it was slaughtered.

It would take a lot of convincing to change my mind about supermarkets providing meat that's just as good. There have been occasions where I've treated myself to a 15 day matured extra special rib eye steak from Asda, and yes it's been lovely, but the equivalent from the local butcher have been eve better!

Even if you buy the extra special air dried back bacon from Asda, you can fry it and still have all that nasty white stuff seep out of it. I never get a trace of it from the butchers bacon.
    with all due respect you can not really compare Asda to Waitrose....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    with all due respect you can not really compare Asda to Waitrose....
    And why not?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast