+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Household Monthly Expenses in General; Hey, Been looking at trying to get setup with my own place, and working out some mortgages etc, but was ...

Thank Post

Household Monthly Expenses

Hey,

Been looking at trying to get setup with my own place, and working out some mortgages etc, but was wondering how much people are paying per month on other general expenses.

Obviously things like council tax I can find out, but things like gas/elec/water/insurance etc.

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With ebico for gas and electric. On prepaymebt meter.

Gas I put in 30 a month (even over the summer) and it helps throughout the winter months.

Electric I put in about 35 a month, I use I'd say 1 a day or thereabouts.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

Steve21 (21st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also water rate depend on your supplier
    Insurance is dependant on what's being covered and such like.

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Hi

Have a look at the cost of living sites for a uni near you like this one and it will give you an idea of the costs in your area.

Living costs — Oxford Brookes University

Then have a contingency fund and remember that winter is more expensive than summer and when the bills hit depends on how you are charged. Try and spread you bills over the year so you dont run out of money and try and avoid all your bills in one month.

Richard

7. Thanks to ricki from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Also water rate depend on your supplier
    Insurance is dependant on what's being covered and such like.
    Do you find on meters you're always topping it up more, or do you find your 35~ constant?

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

Have a look at the cost of living sites for a uni near you like this one and it will give you an idea of the costs in your area.

Living costs — Oxford Brookes University

Then have a contingency fund and remember that winter is more expensive than summer and when the bills hit depends on how you are charged. Try and spread you bills over the year so you dont run out of money and try and avoid all your bills in one month.

Richard
    The problem with these is looking at the list, electric/water/gas/internet etc is all 0 as it's in the price of the accomodation And even with that they manage to spend 250~ a week :O Hope no-ones spending that much! lol

Steve

Thank Post
    Hi

Electrics about 35 - 40 per month
    Gas about 75 per month
    Water is about 500 per year normally two bills
    Internet have a look here Home & Mobile Broadband Packages | TV & Phone Bundles - Virgin Media Shop it will give you some ideas.
    Rates are about 20 per weak for a small house band a

Please remember bill depand a lot on size of house and how many people in it.

Richard

10. Thanks to ricki from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On meter I am not constantly topping up. Once a month is all I do and it works out fine. In winter months I top up the same regardless and I usually have a surplus from the summer months which helps a lot. I don't vary how much I top up unless prices go up substantially.

12. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Obviously things like council tax I can find out, but things like gas/elec/water/insurance etc.
    I've never had a place of my own with gas, I've always simply had electricity. My previous flat, a one-bedroom rented place, which had an energy effciency rating "just above that of a small tent with a single-bar heater in it" according to the chap who came out to do a survey, used to cost around 70 a month for electricity (water was included in the rent of 530 a month). Household insurance cost just over 100 a year - that was in a low-risk area (handily situated between the insurance firm's offices on one side and the police station on the other - I figured if the insurance firm sets up in the area you can't go too far wrong). If you have the funds available up-front it's worth paying for the insurance all in one go if you can, otherwise the standard procedure is that the insurance firm issues you a loan that you then pay back each month.

In the new-build place I now share with my girlfriend, electricity for general use and heating costs around 35 a month - the place is so well insulated we only had the heater on one day over Christmas. When you rent or buy a place now you get given an energy efficiency rating, which it's worth taking notice of because it definatly makes a difference to your monthly bills. If you're buying somewhere of your own you can get assorted grants and assistence with wall/roof insulation and roof-mounted solar panels.

14. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    On meter I am not constantly topping up. Once a month is all I do and it works out fine. In winter months I top up the same regardless and I usually have a surplus from the summer months which helps a lot. I don't vary how much I top up unless prices go up substantially.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I've never had a place of my own with gas, I've always simply had electricity. My previous flat, a one-bedroom rented place, which had an energy effciency rating "just above that of a small tent with a single-bar heater in it" according to the chap who came out to do a survey, used to cost around 70 a month for electricity (water was included in the rent of 530 a month). Household insurance cost just over 100 a year - that was in a low-risk area (handily situated between the insurance firm's offices on one side and the police station on the other - I figured if the insurance firm sets up in the area you can't go too far wrong). If you have the funds available up-front it's worth paying for the insurance all in one go if you can, otherwise the standard procedure is that the insurance firm issues you a loan that you then pay back each month.

In the new-build place I now share with my girlfriend, electricity for general use and heating costs around 35 a month - the place is so well insulated we only had the heater on one day over Christmas. When you rent or buy a place now you get given an energy efficiency rating, which it's worth taking notice of because it definatly makes a difference to your monthly bills. If you're buying somewhere of your own you can get assorted grants and assistence with wall/roof insulation and roof-mounted solar panels.
    Thanks both!

Will have to knock up some rough totals later, and see how it goes with estimate mortgage payments

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Will have to knock up some rough totals later, and see how it goes with estimate mortgage payments
    Just to add another option, there might be shared ownership scheme houses / flats available in your area. My girlfriend owns around 35% of the flat, on which she has a mortgage, and pays rent on the other 65%. Once she's paid off the mortgage on the 35% she can see about buying more of the flat, which lessens the rent. This seems to be working well, as we have a nice flat in a nice area that we can afford, but people's experiences vary - some housing associations aren't good at responding to requests for repairs and so forth, and some new-build places these days seem to be thrown together rather hurridly, so do your research before buying.

17. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mortgage payments tend to be less than rental payments I found, so if done properly you can save a bit as well.

19. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Not sure how useful this will be to you since it is for four adults, but here's ours...

Code:
                    Per Month
    -------------------------
    TV License         12.13
    Gas                76.69
    Electricity        60.04
    Council Tax       123.41
    Water Rates        34.16
    Home Insurance     20.29
    Broadband          29.90
    Phone              18.60
    Total             375.22

21. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

Steve21 (21st August 2011), talksr (28th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I guess you own your house and dont have to pay for it now Arthur?

23. Thanks to nephilim from:

Steve21 (22nd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Can't help you with costs as mine wouldn't be relevant but I would say DON'T skimp on insurance payments, will you? Contents insurance can be really reasonable now and it is not a good idea to think you can get away with not taking it out. Also, dont forget your TV licence.
    To help reduce costs, make sure that you have done all you can in the way of insulation etc - even down to draft excluders on the doors and letterbox covers - it really makes a difference.

25. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    TV License
    Gas
    Electric
    Water
    Council Tax
    Contents Insur
    Building Insur
    Broadband & TV
    Mobile
    Car Insurance
    Petrol
    car maintenance (25pm for tax, mot, servicing costs)
    Credit Card Payment
    Rent / mortgage
    Special bank account (mine is 15pm for break down cover, mobile insurance, travel insurance etc)

27. Thanks to JoeBloggs from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast