+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Annoyed/upset/don't know how I feel about it in General; So my Fiancé works in the care industry, the client she works for has just been taken over by a ...
    Thank Post

Annoyed/upset/don't know how I feel about it

So my Fiancé works in the care industry, the client she works for has just been taken over by a different company. the company she was working for had her working 12 hour shifts starting at 8am finishing 8pm, and some 2pm untill 8pm shifts, this new company doesn't work like that, the shift pattern is 8am until 3pm and 3pm until 10pm.

When this company came in to do interviews we were on holiday so her interview was about 2 weeks ago. one member of staff has said all she wants is 8am till 3pm shifts Monday to Friday, leaving my fiancé and other members of staff 3pm till 10pm shifts. Basically she struggles to get home after 730pm as there are no buses from the village where she works, only thing to do is walk its about 3/4 miles home but most of it is country roads with no lights and barely any paths. On a selfish point i work 8am till 430pm basically means we won't get to see each other, until after 10pm when if im honest ill be heading to bed not long after plus if she doesn't get a driving licence sharpish im going to have to go an pick her up at 10pm, which I do at the moment but shes finishing at 8pm.

Is it really fair to give one member of staff what they want and then just make the rest of them work around her? Am i being selfish that i want to see my fiance when I finish work, there is a possibility she could work monday to friday 3pm till 10pm some weeks. Anyone else every faced something like this? any comments would be very helpful.

not sure if this has helped getting it out my head or not...

Thank Post
    Not sure where the company stands about making staff work different shifts but I don't think you are selfish at all. To be honest I find it hard at the moment when I get home at 5pm and my wife doesn't get home until 7-8pm. I know it's not too late but we don't see each other in the mornings as I am gone really early. This does make spending the weekends together much better though!!

Maybe it would be an idea if she discusses her concerns to the new bosses? If they can be flexible for one person then surely they can for someone else who has special requirements?

3. Thanks to gl3nnym from:

neilmc (18th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Yea see this might only be 2 evenings a week, but then again it could be 5 days a week, plus 1 weekend out of 4 yea we have 3 weekends together, but still no evenings together, and only 2 days out of a week will make that time more special but theres always the worry as to what will do to the relationship < Thats the biggest worry on my mind... im sure it will all work out well in the end though.

Thank Post
    Shift rotation sounds like the best solution. 1 week earlys, 1 week evenings, 1 week nights and rolling like that. I've seen that done a lot.

As for your relationship. I wouldn't worry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Joebloggs is right. Shift rotation works well. Your relationship shouldn't suffer as it should help you to talk more when you see each other.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    car pooling with a work colleague or because it is shift work that wouldn't work ?

Thank Post
    My other half works in healthcare also doing 12.5hr shifts, i find it difficult sometimes with the late finishes and frequent weekend work but as its only 3, sometimes 4 days a week its not so bad. If she were to switch to the shifts you're other half is having to do I wouldn't be happy either - a mixture would work out pretty well but all lates really isn't on

I'd push for a mix or seriously consider moving on, whats the point of having the morning/most of the afternoon off when no one else is around and realistically you'd need to be getting ready for work by 2pmish anyway

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread