+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Feeling very sad! in General; We got back off our jollies in the early hours of Monday last week and the outlaw (mother in law) ...
    Thank Post

Feeling very sad!

We got back off our jollies in the early hours of Monday last week and the outlaw (mother in law) told us that one of our two cats had been grouchy for a few days prior to us returning home.

We thought that she, the cat was just being a mard like she normally is when we've been away for a more than a few days.

By Tuesday she still wasn't right so I took her to the vet who said that apart from the obvious loss of some weight there didn't appear to be any obvious signs of anything wrong. So he decided to get some blood tests done of which we received the results on Friday and they again weren't conclusive as to what the problem was. So we arranged for her to have a scan and a bile acid test for this morning.

However, last night she was walking into the lounge and basically collapsed on the floor between the two sofas. So I got in touch with the out of hours vet who recommends we take her in, immediately.

The poor little girl was basically suffering liver failure possibly due to a tumour. All the of the options given to me by the vet were basically prolonging the inevitable so at 10.15pm last night she was put to sleep.

She was 10yrs old and smaller than the average cat at that age.

Poor thing!
    Last edited by bodminman; 16th August 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So sad. As a constant pet owner since a child, I know exactly how you feel.

It's of little consolation now, but you should be thankful that it wasn't a long drawn out suffering.

Take it easy.

3. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

bodminman (16th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Ah! What a choker. You do get attached to them. I dread the day anything happens to our cat.
    Keep your chin up and make plenty of fuss of the other one I'm sure that one is wondering where the other one has gone.

5. Thanks to steve_nfi from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Condolences, I had something very simmilar with one of my cats a few months ago where the liver failure was congenital so it only lasted until it was around 18 months before the issue kicked in. It is a nasty thing to happen and I mirror the statment above that at least it was quick because it is something that causes suffering and giving it an easy way out was the kindest thing to do by far.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    A ginger cat of our had the exact same thing, live failure due to a tumour. He was suffering with it for awhile and going off his food so we had to take him in and have him put to sleep.

9. Thanks to Butters from:

Thank Post
    Same thing happened to my dog

11. Thanks to JoeBloggs from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that. Its always a huge loss losing a pet. I've had pets all my life except for the last couple of years. When my childhood cat was put to sleep I was basically inconsolable for at least a week (and then my gran died the week after, so it wasn't a good year!)

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Not that it helps any but at least you have piece of mind that it had a long, happy or content life being able to live in a warm house with caring owners as apposed to something that could be a lot worse

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    its seems to be always the kidney and liver that suffers with cats, except my late cat who died of a stomach infection caused by hair ingestion from over grooming. Damn i miss her so much.

17. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    My condolences. The last Cat I lost was after a long battle with diabetes...

19. Thanks to maveriick from:

Thank Post
    I can sympathise we sadly lost our family cat Gizmo a couple of weeks ago...he was 21! I was 13 when we got him!! We think he had a tumour, but seemed OK and slipped into a coma then died in the night..he had never had to go to the vets in his life! I know we will all miss him, my dad especially! just remember all the times she made you laugh at her!!

21. Thanks to Tcsltd from:

bodminman (17th August 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel.

When I was a lot younger, we took in a jet black cat called Lady (VERY fussy with what she would/would not eat). Her owners lived a few doors down and she would come into our house & garden whenever possible and basically made it her "home from home" (her owners were fine with this). However, the chap got a job in Canada and the family announced their emigration plans. They had two other cats that they found homes for, but no one wanted Lady. My dad had a soft spot for her so we adopted her and had her for a good many years. She had such a lovely temperament. Dad would open my bedroom door in the morning before school and she would sit next to my bed and meow to wake me up. When I woke up, she would not jump onto my bed unless I told her to come up, then slept there for most of the day.

When she got older, every whisker turned white and she looked most amusing!

Eventually when she got really old, she came down with kidney failure and would not move or eat anything, even prawns which she used to go completely nuts for. We took her to the vet and had her put to sleep so she did not suffer. I spent most of the day crying about it.

23. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Sorry to hear of your loss its not nice when your pets go, I know I still miss our last cat who got run over We often think of him when our current cat does random things similar to what he did

25. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just read this @bodminman.

As an animal lover I'm gutted for you. We have three Yorkie's in the family (spread over three houses). The eldest was my wife's when she was living at home with her parents and is on his last legs. She had him as a pup when we were courting. It will be sad to see him go. The other two are young.

Reminds me when we had our Yorkie. We named him 'Mac' - we brought him home from Knockinwood Kennels in Kidwelly and he was out of sorts. He died overnight - with liver failure (we later found out). My father-in-law said we had to have another straight away or else we would never have one again for fear of the same things happening. Llew has been with us now 7 years.

It's never nice. Will you get another?

Gareth

27. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    @bodminman:

The wife and I have had cats ever since we got married, Maine Coons were our favourite, dark chocolate brown with long beautiful fur.

First one called Cassey was so beautiful yet so vicious, she would only let you stroke her when she wanted it bless but she was ours for 6 years then she got run over so we decided to get another one, instead we ended up with 2, brother and sister Maine Coons again, Sam and Sophie we called them, again Sam was so loving and would go down the hill to the next village to tom about but whenever i wanted him to come in I would stand at the top of the hill and whistle, he would come hurtling up the bank at full speed meowing all the way. Sophie was the shy one and some what smaller in statue but never the less was full of love until our children came along and our son at 4 would not stop chasing her around the house, he used to shout sobas! sobas! (he couldn't say sophie) she got fed up and decided to move next door after they enticed her in with food.

Anyway Sam got run over at about 8 years old but our Sophie (we have just lost her) lived to the grand old age of 22.

We have taken on another cat called Kizzie who was taken in by the RSPCA after druggies had her from a kitten and sorely abused her, she was then taken from the rescue home by a young lady and kept for 8 years until her now husband wanted to move in with her but having a cat phobia it wasn't possible so my wife who works with the young lady said we would have her for 2 weeks while they went on holiday, 2 years later and lots of TLC as she would not let anyone touch her without clawing their hand off and she is the most loving cat we could ever have had.

I really feel for you when this happens but just remember the good times and all will be well and if you can get another (not to replace) but one from the cat rescue centre (when you are ready) and you will always remember every cat you have nurtured.

I hope this has not bored you but you brought back so many good memories I just had to share, thank you.

My condolences to you for your loss

29. Thanks to bossman from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast