+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What will this mean for wages? in General; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4370446.stm With many underpaid techies and network managers eagerly awaiting their county councils' decision on wages levels what will this ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

What will this mean for wages?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4370446.stm

With many underpaid techies and network managers eagerly awaiting their county councils' decision on wages levels what will this mean? If schools are free to do as they please independant of outside control, will wages still remain low for many?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: What will this mean for wages?

i think in some ways it will benefit in the fact that we can negotiate more as to what wage we want.

these schools will always have to offer same as leas or people wont go and work for them but as they are not limited by lea they staff can negate on wage as the norn in commercial companies...

russ

Thank Post

In my current position, I am almost in this situation already since the school is 'volutary aided' and run by the governors rather than LEA.

I am, however, on a reasonable £20k which is good for a school wage - even though it is slightly low compared to industry.

I think it will depend on the frugalness of the school in question though and of course it will depend upon how many schools opt out of LEA control.

Thank Post

Absolutely nothing to us north of the border. Because Scottish schools are under the control of the Scottish Executive, virtually none of these reforms will affect the way Scottish schools are run or funded. As it is, our salaries are dictated by Council pay scales, and the school does not have the authority to dictate pay levels for any of its staff - teacher or support.

As it is, we seem to be getting the short straw technology-wise (no laptops for teachers style schemes, regional broadband consortiums or anything like that), and a great deal of money appears to have been poured into the Scottish Schools Digital Network over the past few years, and it si still not fully operational.

Tony Blair appears to be bleating on about these reforms, but those if us up in Scotland are getting ignored.

And for those who wonder, I think a large amount of devolution was a mistake.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I thonk devolution was a way of the Blair govt shifting blame from itself for anything going wrong north of the border. He tried to do it with the north of England too. We told him where to go.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

but then what happends with all these lea controled projects like rbc, the new vle funding to put vle in everyschool does the school get the money that lea would have got not likley...

So i think problems have looked at before it goes ahead but then they will force it through like with bsf scheme

Russ

Thank Post

good point about the RBCs
    I'm lucky enough to be in a position where we could go it alone, but we are part of an RBC. They managed to get blacklisted at SpamCop last week, and the filtering service goes on the fritz just about every Thursday...
    What makes it bearable is knowing that without the RBC many schools in the area would be without fast Internet access at all, because they wouldn't be able to afford it; many schools in our county are miles and miles away from the nearest town. With the RBC, we all pay the same regardless of implementation costs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Leuvan. Could you fill in your school detail and location, or just the location if you wish to remain anonymous please? It's nice to know where our posters are coming from.

Thank Post

Sorry - thought I had..
    Hopefully sorted now? (this post should see...)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information