+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Car Ideas? in General; Originally Posted by Butuz Mine is group 50 out of 50 Butuz What are you driving then Butuz an Aston ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Mine is group 50 out of 50

Butuz
    What are you driving then Butuz an Aston or a Bentley?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    If you're tall, want something with a bit of power but also fairly economical you can't go wrong with a Peugeot 307 dturbo. There's also lots of scope for remapping and upping the BHP.
    Had a 307 1.6HDI, was a nice car, easily did mid 40's mpg round town, and they are cheap to pickup second hand. Did upgrade the the new facelift 308 which is much nicer to drive, even though its' the same rolling chassis.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    What are you driving then Butuz an Aston or a Bentley?
    Either would be nice! It's actually an old 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Just an update,

Looked at a laguna the other day, took it for a test drive and it was smooth. Just waiting for informaion to come though and it night be mine,

1.9dci 6 speed. Plus toys, full service history and only had one owner

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Just an update,

Looked at a laguna the other day, took it for a test drive and it was smooth. Just waiting for informaion to come though and it night be mine,

1.9dci 6 speed. Plus toys, full service history and only had one owner
    I note that the Laguna is about the lowest scoring car in this years Which car review mag...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I note that the Laguna is about the lowest scoring car in this years Which car review mag...
    its 2004 the car im looking at.

Thank Post
    Beware of any Renault with the 1.9DCi engine - they have a very common issue with turbo failures. Google 'renault dci turbo problems' for lots of scary reading.

Having said that, I used to drive a Megane with the 1.9DCi and the 6-speed box and they are lovely to drive. 70 on the motorway at 1700ish RPM in 6th is super-smooth! And they do shift.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Beware of any Renault with the 1.9DCi engine - they have a very common issue with turbo failures. Google 'renault dci turbo problems' for lots of scary reading.

Having said that, I used to drive a Megane with the 1.9DCi and the 6-speed box and they are lovely to drive. 70 on the motorway at 1700ish RPM in 6th is super-smooth! And they do shift.
    What dosnt have problems now adays. its a smooth drive when i drove it

Thank Post
    Don't go near Laguna! I have worked in Car Sales, and have had a Renault myself! When you say what cars dont have problems these days "true comment" - but the Laguna is riddled with many problems. You probably wont find an issue for quite a few months but engine managment lights will start to appear, turbo is a serious issue for diesel renaults as it most probably will need replacing at least once during the lifetime of the car (in most cases). The annoying thing is that I find them very very nice to drive, smooth, and just brilliant to the naked eye! My advice - don't touch! You can buy a 2006 diesel Laguna for £1,800 with low mileage, if these cars had a good reputation the price would be more than double that!

10. Thanks to oalcock from:

newpersn (7th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Too many things to go wrong with recent/modern diesels... Diesel Particulate filters, turbos, turbo waste gates, dual mass flywheels, injector pumps, piezo injectors, to name but a few..... I love the torque of a modern diesel but repair costs can be scary. Euro IV & V emission regulations have forced manufacturers to adopt more and more technology to lower emissions, adding complexity & more things to go wrong.

Renault (& Nissan partners) did have a really bad spell with turbo problems a few years back.

Also, many motorists don't heed the advice from the manufacturers and let the engine idle a while after sustained speed to allow the turbos & their bearings to cool down, this can lead to premature turbo failure. Excessive riding of the clutch can cook a dual mass flywheel & then you have serious trouble too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    its 2004 the car im looking at.
    Here you go...the review for the 2001-2007 model

If you’re feeling brave, you might want to take a punt on the attractively-priced and good-looking Laguna. But there’s a good reason prices are so low – the Laguna's very poor reliability record.
    Owners view:

Rubbish - too many sensors and electical parts that fail. Parts for the Laguna are very expensive and the build quality is rubbish. Not very economical either - was impluse buy as it was cheap, but I've regretted it ever since and I will be replacing it soon.

This is a shame, as the Laguna's otherwise a nice car; it's a pleasant drive, has a comfy cabin and it comes with some strong, economical diesel engines. The Sport Tourer estate is both elegantly-styled and usefully practical.
    What do I need to know?

Is it worth taking the risk, though? Probably not, unless you have a good independent garage with Renault experience nearby who can help you keep your car on the road at a reasonable cost.

This 2001-2007 Renault Laguna is a quietly competent family car that gets most of the important things right – plenty of space inside, a large boot, secure road-holding and a comfortable ride. With the right engine, it can be a sprightly performer, too, and safety standards are good – it scored an excellent five out of five in crash tests.

It’s annoyingly awkward to get in and out of, however, and rearward visibility is poor; plus, the steering on the estate could be better. Last, but not least, don’t forget its appalling reliability record, with a list of faults that stretches from here to next week.
    Track record

Simply, the Laguna is a bit of a dog and it comes very close to receiving Don't Buy status.

According to the 2011 Which? Car Survey, it has one-star reliability, and it was rated one of the worst cars to own - the fifth worst overall, in fact. Don't say we didn't warn you...
    What's it up against?

Our used large car Best Buys currently include Toyota Avensis and the Toyota Prius - although the hybrid car is rather a different ownership proposition (it's reliable, for a start...).

We also rate the 2000-2008 Volvo S60 and the Audi A4 made during the same period as Worth a Look.

Thank Post
    I'd echo sentiments on the Renault. Every one I've driven has been good but i belive the particular problem with that age was to do with a wastegate valve, or the egr valve (can't remember exactly as it was 3 years ago I was looking at them), would stick leading to fairly serious engine problems. That said, if you could stump up getting it changed,m or haggle it into the deal they are nice comfy uninspiring cars to run and own. I've not read the full thread but if it's not been mentioned, I think I got that infor from the "Honest John" site. The bible IMO when looking at and choosing a new used motor.

I ended up with a 127k MKIV golf, 130bhp PD tdi. If you can find one with VW service history the engines are good for 250+ and there's a 150brake version too. £125 a year road tax and 55mpg on my 70 mile round trip commute. Mainly B roads and occasionally it will run up to 65+mpg for a couple of weeks before dropping back to the 55 mark again. Biggest known problem with these are non PD engine oil ebing used at service leading to the cam wearing through the head (or something) but if you look at 150k cars, that should have happened if it was gonna and if it's got VW service history, it should be fine. Mines at 197k curently, fingers crossed it still pulls well. MOT on friday, I hope I've not just jinxed that!!

D

Thank Post
    Well with some news I will be saying soon, but I need a family car, I know a few people who work in reno so ill get some discount on parts

But I have brought the laguna but its going in for a full service before I get it, but will post pictures when I get it,

Thank Post
    Well i spoke to some of you about this over facebook that im thinking of changing my car. Found this in good nick and a good price. Full Serivce history, Tax and mot.

2004 Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI 120bhp. And its smooth to drive. 89K on the clock. Full Serivce history, Tax and mot.

The fiesta had it. Wouldnt start most mornings. Clulch was slipping, and otherthings was going wrong it. So it had to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123