+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
General Chat Thread, DVD Piracy Ad in General; You wouldn't steal a TV - evidently lots of people would...
  1. #1

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199

    DVD Piracy Ad

    You wouldn't steal a TV - evidently lots of people would

  2. 4 Thanks to MK-2:

    CAM (12th August 2011), dhicks (12th August 2011), Gatt (14th August 2011), korifugi (12th August 2011)

  3. #2
    Jamman960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London/Kent
    Posts
    987
    Thank Post
    186
    Thanked 194 Times in 156 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    It'll be interesting to see how much of the goods can be recovered - surely even the worst parents would consider tv's looted in the recent riots to be too hot to handle and most will notice when little johnny's tv is suddenly bigger than the one in the lounge

  4. #3

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,043
    Thank Post
    1,395
    Thanked 644 Times in 500 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    259
    I'd love to see the end of DVD ads...I struggle with the concept of having endless anti-piracy messages/adverts that can't be skipped.

    Last time I was at the cinema (Inception) I was greeted with Jaime Winston (exactly..who?) on screen warning about piracy.

    Correct me for being reactionary here but surely the people that need instructing/lecturing/warning about piracy aren't the people buying legitimate DVD/Cinema tickets!

    If I'm being really reactionary I'd even claim that such measures tip my favour the other way...after all you don't have to wade through this muck with copied material.

    Not endorsing Knock-off Nigelism, but food for thought for those at BBFC...like they're actually reading this!

    The fully legitimate and always genuine media purchasing Wolfman

  5. Thanks to CPLTD from:

    sted (12th August 2011)

  6. #4

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I'd love to see the end of DVD ads...I struggle with the concept of having endless anti-piracy messages/adverts that can't be skipped.

    Last time I was at the cinema (Inception) I was greeted with Jaime Winston (exactly..who?) on screen warning about piracy.

    Correct me for being reactionary here but surely the people that need instructing/lecturing/warning about piracy aren't the people buying legitimate DVD/Cinema tickets!
    exactly the point, this is still true now. buy a dvd and you get treated to five mins of "DONT BE A PIRATE".....erm im not, i just paid a tenner for this dvd!


  7. 3 Thanks to MK-2:

    Gatt (14th August 2011), mac_shinobi (12th August 2011), nephilim (12th August 2011)

  8. #5

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,043
    Thank Post
    1,395
    Thanked 644 Times in 500 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    259
    the best advert I've witnessed at the cinema (avatar,inception) is a trailer for the film you've just spent nigh on 10 to watch...before you watch it.

    I want a job at the BBFC, watching flicks, passing censorship judgements...and gnawing on popcorn.

    Farewell IT!

    Mary Wolfhouse

  9. #6

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,643
    Thank Post
    895
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    444
    I went to see Super 8 last weekend (personally I wouldnt bother if I was you) and I had to endure Take That singing one of there pieces of pap saying it was inspired by the film Three Musketeers if a film can inspire that junk then I wont be watching it....

  10. #7

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I went to see Super 8 last weekend (personally I wouldnt bother if I was you)
    I know what you mean, it's like Lost in film format. Unanswered questions and a monster you won't see (or be disappointed when you do actually see it)

  11. #8

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,286
    Thank Post
    225
    Thanked 405 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    exactly the point, this is still true now. buy a dvd and you get treated to five mins of "DONT BE A PIRATE".....erm im not, i just paid a tenner for this dvd!
    I have a friend (yes really, no it isn't me) that goes and buys a DVD/blu ray, sticks it on the shelf/in a box out the way and then downloads a quality rip from the net. This then gets burnt to disc or stored on a media server. Easiest way to get the best viewing experience and he feels he is legal. He understands that in theory he isn't but he is very strict about only downloading what he has bought.

  12. #9


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,578
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 853 Times in 732 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    exactly the point, this is still true now. buy a dvd and you get treated to five mins of "DONT BE A PIRATE".....erm im not, i just paid a tenner for this dvd!

    http://cdn.thenextweb.com/shareables.../piratedvd.jpg
    it really is silly ive got to the point where i put a disk in then go make some food and come back that way i dont have to put up with the rubbish. I can see why people do download film rips just so you dont have to sit through that ****.

  13. #10

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,827
    Thank Post
    875
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it really is silly ive got to the point where i put a disk in then go make some food and come back that way i dont have to put up with the rubbish. I can see why people do download film rips just so you dont have to sit through that ****.
    What gets me you have to pay for the pleasure.

  14. #11
    markcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    586
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

  15. #12


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I have a friend (yes really, no it isn't me) that goes and buys a DVD/blu ray, sticks it on the shelf/in a box out the way and then downloads a quality rip from the net. This then gets burnt to disc or stored on a media server. Easiest way to get the best viewing experience and he feels he is legal. He understands that in theory he isn't but he is very strict about only downloading what he has bought.
    I'd do it the other way around and wait until I've seen the movie and only pay for it if I believe it is worth it. The amount of pap I've watched in the least few years is unbelievable, and at 20 a pop for a DVD...

  16. #13
    JoeBloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    544
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 75 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    To be fair not many DVDs are 20 a pop... I've seen a few new releases go out at around 12-15. Blurays however go out at about 20!

    If you wait a short time they come down in price a lot. I also look on Play.com for DVD / Blu-Ray bargins!!

  17. #14
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,075
    Thank Post
    812
    Thanked 353 Times in 277 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    280
    I can't see the point of Blu-Ray tbh. Even on my large telly I was still happy with standard def. That thing was a waste of time, I bought it when I played my 360 more, I am back on PC again and the 360 and telly collect dust.

  18. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    269
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 69 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Even the IT crowd version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg) looks a bit tame now...
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 12th August 2011 at 11:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. shibboleth & AD
    By russdev in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th November 2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Script to change user email in AD (or Exchange)
    By SpuffMonkey in forum Scripts
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 8th November 2005, 10:31 PM
  3. NetOp - Deployment via AD
    By ajbritton in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th October 2005, 09:09 PM
  4. AD User Manager
    By Dos_Box in forum Downloads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th September 2005, 09:56 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th September 2005, 09:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •