+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, e-petition demands axing of benefits for rioters in General; I haven't signed it, but after discussing it with an old uni friend, I think it would be a bad ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't signed it, but after discussing it with an old uni friend, I think it would be a bad idea - it would make people worse and not be a suitable punishment.

Instead, we need proper sentences when these people go through the courts. Last I read, the longest sentence given so far is 8 months, which means they'll be out in 4, and those 4 months will be spent in a cushy cell, with access to TV, games consoles, etc... They'll also pick up new criminal skills during their stay, from the other inmates.

Thank Post
    Agreed it will just cause them to steal as they simply don't want a job to support themselves. You need to cure the cause; people leave school knowing that they are entitled to a flat, they have a kid, realise they will be worse off if they get a job and end up in the trap. Once you have a few generation of this it is very hard to get people out of that mindset.

To me there is no easy quick fix. There has to be a point where we bite the bullet and push through the hard times which will follow from any action taken to combat this. One solution I can think of is dole is only handed out for 6 months, after that you either have to get a job or do community work. If you refuse you're put in a jail*. The criminal record you get is not to be used against you, ie you do not have to mention it to employers. Once people realise the choices are; get a job, work for the community, or go to jail...

* This "jail" could be educational or manual working possibly.

Obviously this is a simplistic plan and will cause trouble in the short term, but imo this has been a long time coming and it needs to end at some point, so why not now?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th August 2011 at 12:14 PM.

3. Thanks to j17sparky from:

jamesfed (11th August 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12