+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, On a diet...... in General; I am currently trying to loose weight and get fit! Can anybody help me with these questions; *Today I have ...
    Thank Post

On a diet......

I am currently trying to loose weight and get fit! Can anybody help me with these questions;

*Today I have totted up my calorie intake (for breakfast and lunch) and it is 465. In the gym this morning, I burnt a total of 320, does this mean that in theory my intake is now 145 or does it not work like that?

*Is it wise for me to still intake 2500 calories a day while going to the gym daily, or would it be healthy for me to have less calories and go to the gym? (daily recommended allowance)

I know it sounds quite an effeminate post, and I know this isn't a health forum - but you lot always seem to know everything about everything!

Thank Post
    I ve lost 14 pound sin two months, squash and cycling plus about 1500 cals a day (but its a very strict diet but very nutitional)

Thank Post
    I'm not an expert on these things at all but my missus goes to Slimming World and she's lost loads of weight over 12 months. That has been just by eating properly too. I bought her a gym membership but she never went.

She's never been fat but she put weight on after i got with her without me even noticing but now she's back to the same weight as before.

There's a plan called the extra easy diet and it seems to work! Check it out

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Simplistically, if calories out > calories in you will lose weight (from stored fat).

It's far more complicated (unfortunately). You body will consume more calories after a workout as the metabolism is still elevated, so calculating calories expended is quite tricky. Also, as you become 'good' at an exercise, your body will become more efficient at that activity, making calorie calculations even more difficult.

However, if you drastically restrict calorific intake, you body will do what it can to preserve fat (famine mode). This probably isn't your goal.

I'm pretty fit (cycle + exercise every day) but struggled with a couple of extra pounds. I got the Paul Mckenna Book "I can make you thin" and lost about 12 pounds since Christmas (slowly, but it's just fat loss - I can see that). Turns out I was wolfing my food. A simple change made all the difference.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 9th August 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    if you do not eat atleast 1500 calories a day you will gain weight this is because 1500 calories is the minimum intake your body can handle any less than this and your body enters starvation mode and keeps hold of as much fat as it can.

remember that going to the gym increases your metablism so if you burnt 320 calories at the gym in one session you will continue to burn more calories than normal for about 8-12 hours after excercise so dont take that 320 calorie burn as the maximum you would of lost.

recomend a healthy varied diet, aiming for atleat 1500 calories a day upto 2000 calories with exercise and you will lose weight and tone up.

6. Thanks to Flakes from:

AWicher (9th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I ve lost 14 pound sin two months, squash and cycling plus about 1500 cals a day (but its a very strict diet but very nutitional)
    On most days I don't know how I managed to intake 2500 calories anyway, it seems a lot!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    if you do not eat atleast 1500 calories a day you will gain weight this is because 1500 calories is the minimum intake your bady can handle any less than this and your body enters starvation mode and keeps hold of as much fat as it can.

remember that going to the gym increases your metablism so if you burnt 320 calories at the gym in one session you will continue to burn more calories than normal for about 8-12 hours after excercise so dont take that 320 calorie burn as the maximum you would of lost.

recomend a healthy varied diet, aiming for atleat 1500 calories a day upto 2000 calories with exercise and you will lose weight and tone up.
    I m doing quite well, squash (sport) is 1000 cals an hour. I eat alot of chicken, fish, turkey, veg drink, green leafed salads, soya with cearel and dont touch any bread brown or white!

Thank Post
    the simple maths, is put in less than you are burning, but make sure they are worthwhile calories,

Plenty of protien for muscle repair, minimal amounts of refined sugar, a good amount of carbs such as pasta and rice. and minimise the saturated fat intake. be sure to get enough water on, and enough salts.

my suggested calorie intake is around the 1800 mark as i have a fairly sedentary job at the moment, and i'm cycling a lot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    On most days I don't know how I managed to intake 2500 calories anyway, it seems a lot!
    dont forget to count in drinks tea and coffee depending on how much milk you take can be 30-50 calories a drink. did you know that getting it wrong by 100 calories a day can add upto 2 stone in weight within 1 year? (embarrassing bodies fact channel 4 lol)

Thank Post
    I read that a cup of coffee with full fat milk only contains 7 calories, is this incorrect then?

Thank Post
    I have looked again - 24.5 calories in instant coffee with semi skimmed milk and 2 sweetners.

Thank Post
    Dont drink coffee and have soya milk, plus no added sugar robinsons when thirsty. Remember when ona diet dont feel it is any actually diet, I m not watching my cals I m just feeling better and know Im eating better with losing alot of cals

Thank Post
    What about tea?

Thank Post
    There is also the fact you are "Burning" calories just to keep you alive, and this will vary from person to person.

Thank Post
    oh, and i can +1 on the cycling!! bloody good sport. I signed up for this Cycle to work thing last year, and can't thing of a day i don't want to be out cycling now

I'm no cavendish, but hay.

SportsTrackLive | awicher

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast