+ Post New Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
General Chat Thread, London Riots in General; Unemployment isn't a valid reason for rioting and arson, but it still needs an overhaul. Being on the dole for ...

Thank Post
    Unemployment isn't a valid reason for rioting and arson, but it still needs an overhaul. Being on the dole for long periods is really depressing, I've done it. You can get a horrible feeling that your worthless, and will never get a job. Many of the people on jsa (like myself 5 years ago) need some practical help to get through the application process, and to get over issues of low self-esteem and low self-worth/ability.

There are jobs out there, I've got a number of friends who have found jobs over the past two years. I can't see why, if the government and the job centers took unemployment seriously, people should be on jsa for more than a few months at a time. When I was on it, all I had to do was go in every 2 weeks and say what I had done to look for work, little evidence of what I'd actually done was needed. I was offered help with cv writing and interview skills, but this wasn't conditional like I think it should have been. If you got someone working with the unemployed person for a couple of weeks, help them apply for jobs, and make them actually go through the process, these people could get jobs, and I reckon fairly easily too. I think at the moment, if an unemployed person can do a job that they are offered they should take it, there is no reason why they can't move on if something better comes along. In most of the world, if you refuse to work, you starve & die. I can't see why in England that people feel they can wait for the ideal job to come along, although having said that that was sort of how I felt at the time. The job centers just need to be a bit firmer.

Maybe we need fewer people doing degrees, and more doing apprenticeships and vocational training. Perhaps businesses and organisations need to take more of a lead in providing apprenticeships, and not wait for the government to dictate what they do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We need Gene Hunt style policing. Some people are Fletcher types and they will not reform.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've just come back from Israel. The police there don't go for the softly softly approach I can assure you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223