+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63
General Chat Thread, Introducing the Network Kettle! in General; Originally Posted by localzuk You could also be clever, and include a few moisture sensors inside the kettle, so you ...
  1. #16

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You could also be clever, and include a few moisture sensors inside the kettle, so you can see when the kettle is half full, a quarter full etc...
    At this rate they are going to be about 300 each lol

  2. #17

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,089
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    At this rate they are going to be about 300 each lol
    Ah, but you know what geeks are like... Many would totally pay that!

  3. #18

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ah, but you know what geeks are like... Many would totally pay that!
    I'll set him to work on it and report back - maybe we will take it to dragons den afterwards and release apps for android/iphone aswell as computers so its totally universal!

  4. #19
    markcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

  5. #20

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    I did see that - mine is so much better lol

  6. #21


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,134
    Thank Post
    1,307
    Thanked 808 Times in 513 Posts
    Rep Power
    632
    Brilliant but you may need some modifications before your next PAT test.

  7. #22

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Brilliant but you may need some modifications before your next PAT test.
    TBF most of it was hidden in a cardboard box but i took it all out to make a picture - although not amazing water tight!

    I'[m thinking of intergrating it all into the base but needs lots of work for that!

  8. #23

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Also if anybody knows of a kettle which the switch goes up that would be better! saves having to attach the solenoid to the kettle

  9. #24

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,493
    Thank Post
    1,184
    Thanked 745 Times in 647 Posts
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    now i'm thinking wireless network kettle
    A couple of quick modifications and you should be able to get wireless power transmission, too...

  10. #25

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,213
    Thank Post
    2,766
    Thanked 935 Times in 875 Posts
    Rep Power
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You could also be clever, and include a few moisture sensors inside the kettle, so you can see when the kettle is half full, a quarter full etc...
    Yeah was gonna say - keep putting it on and eventually you will have an empty kettle with a big bang and plenty of smoke to follow lol.

    Would need a fail safe so if the water level is below a certain point it will refuse to power on.

    Seeing as you are normally in a server room and have a switch that uses POE , maybe use a POE port to power the kettle as well as network comms to control it lol

  11. #26

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Yeah was gonna say - keep putting it on and eventually you will have an empty kettle with a big bang and plenty of smoke to follow lol.

    Would need a fail safe so if the water level is below a certain point it will refuse to power on.

    Seeing as you are normally in a server room and have a switch that uses POE , maybe use a POE port to power the kettle as well as network comms to control it lol
    a normal kettle (from which this is but with a solenoid on the switch) automatically turns off if there is no water in it - so it would turn off anyway

    unfortuantly POE doesn't provide enough power for a kettle!

  12. #27

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,089
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Also if anybody knows of a kettle which the switch goes up that would be better! saves having to attach the solenoid to the kettle
    You shouldn't need a solenoid at all - wire a relay in parallel into the kettle switch, and you can turn it on/off without the switch. True, it'd mean you couldn't switch it off via the switch if you turned it on via the computer (and visa versa) but it'd eliminate a moving part.

  13. #28

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You shouldn't need a solenoid at all - wire a relay in parallel into the kettle switch, and you can turn it on/off without the switch. True, it'd mean you couldn't switch it off via the switch if you turned it on via the computer (and visa versa) but it'd eliminate a moving part.

    I did think about that - but would need the external switch to be able to turn it off (safety measure really)!

  14. #29

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,372
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 949 Times in 651 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Also if anybody knows of a kettle which the switch goes up that would be better! saves having to attach the solenoid to the kettle
    Take it apart and re-mount the switch upside down?

  15. #30

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Take it apart and re-mount the switch upside down?
    I could do that! just need to work out how to take it apart easily!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PCs dropping off the network
    By SpuffMonkey in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2nd March 2006, 10:10 AM
  2. Howto: Kudos 2005 running over the network
    By ChrisH in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th January 2006, 04:19 PM
  3. Best way to install .exe accross the network through GPO
    By tosca925 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th December 2005, 09:45 PM
  4. Webcams on the Network
    By ATOM in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24th November 2005, 11:53 AM
  5. HOW TO: XP Pro & Office 2003 Over the Network (Get Yours
    By ICTNUT in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd July 2005, 09:15 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •