+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Barcode Scanners and Microsoft Access Database in General; Hi All, I was wondering if someone can just help me get an answer to the following scenario. I want ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Barcode Scanners and Microsoft Access Database

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can just help me get an answer to the following scenario.

I want to be able to keep track of Completed Stock and Potentionally RAW Materials using a Bar Code Scanner and allowing that to input a location/item number into the current database.

I am currently in the process of moving the system from Access Database/Sage Line 50 to Microsoft Dynamics AX so the future vision is for the barcode scanners to some how talk to Dynamics.

So, I have an Access Database How Simple is it to modify it slightly so that I can add a Barcode next to Finished Stock... and how do I link it to know where it is in the warehouse or which site.

Or is it difficult and I should probably leave it to continue manually for now and approach this again when AX goes Live Properly in November.

Ta V/Much

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are better programs than access, although I assume you are using it for the fact that its bundled into office?

Adding a barcode section is a walk in the park

Add the relevant field into the relevant tables (make it a primary key if need be) and link across the tables
    Then in your form add it in. Getting a barcode reader to work with access is a little bit more tricky and requires a bit of fiddling with your table code.

*edit*

Also thinking about it, if you get a barcode scanner, get one that does not require software to run but rather is detected by Windows as a HID (Human Interface Device). USB Scanners work best for this.
    Last edited by nephilim; 4th August 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    There are better programs than access, although I assume you are using it for the fact that its bundled into office?

Adding a barcode section is a walk in the park

Add the relevant field into the relevant tables (make it a primary key if need be) and link across the tables
    Then in your form add it in. Getting a barcode reader to work with access is a little bit more tricky and requires a bit of fiddling with your table code.

*edit*

Also thinking about it, if you get a barcode scanner, get one that does not require software to run but rather is detected by Windows as a HID (Human Interface Device). USB Scanners work best for this.
    Thanks Mate,

Access is something that has been in here for 10+ Years It was being migrated to AX and now I'm thrown in during part migration and you know about the issues the other month so AX Migration all went and now i need to pick up some peices to the puzzle.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right you can definitely add in the field and such like and input it into your forms etc, but make sure they are linked through your database otherwise you will have a headache.

There is some code you need to do to get your Barcode scanner working, a friend of mine is digging it out as we speak but not sure how long he will be.

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

EduTech (5th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Right you can definitely add in the field and such like and input it into your forms etc, but make sure they are linked through your database otherwise you will have a headache.

There is some code you need to do to get your Barcode scanner working, a friend of mine is digging it out as we speak but not sure how long he will be.
    Cheers Mate,

Drop me an email when you get some info, Hopefully my DB Skills are up to scratch!

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    He basically said go to this link Managing inventory - Access - Office.com not much help, mind you its late and I will nag him in the morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    I remember reading a few articles on EE some of which are solved ones , think they had to add the serial port object from the tools window and interface with the bar code reader using the port or serial port object ( MSCOMM object / control )

barcode scanning using VB6

That was vb 6 so id assume in VBA in the toolbox you should be able to find or add the MSCOMM control - USB is universal serial bus hence serial so you would have to give that a go, obviously it outputs the scanned data as a string so would then just be a case of coding it to insert said string into the relevant field which shouldnt be that hard
    dim output as string
    output = barcode scanner out
    txtCode.text = output

or you could assign the barcode scanner output string directly to the text field

If not I know you can use the MSCOM via API afaik in VBA via modules etc so might be able to google and find a way to do it without the control ?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...b-4eea7fb21104

Thank Post
    We have been using barcodes scanners with custom written MSAccess, VB and Web based applications for a while.

The type of barcode scanner we use just sends the string it reads as a keyboard input (used to be called "wedges" and had to be connected between the ps2 cable of the keyboard and the PC, but USB has done away with the need for this), so all you need in your appilcation is a text field that the information can be read into. You just then need to substitute the string for whatever unique reference you have for that item in your query and job done. Same process for MSAccess, VB and Web based items then. The same theory can be applied to USB swipe card readers - in fact the application has no idea where the input is coming from because it all just looks like a keyboard entry (and can be a keyboard entry if the scanner fails to read / is not present)

We have managed to use this technique with bluetooth connected barcode scanners and ones with wireless connections to base stations without any problems.

Unless I am missing something?

Thank Post
    Exactly, a barcode scanner is treated as a keyboard, so just design the form as if it were for text input. Anywhere you can type, you can scan a barcode. Just need to look at cursor focus to make the form open with the relevant field having cursor focus.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can just help me get an answer to the following scenario.

I want to be able to keep track of Completed Stock and Potentionally RAW Materials using a Bar Code Scanner and allowing that to input a location/item number into the current database.

I am currently in the process of moving the system from Access Database/Sage Line 50 to Microsoft Dynamics AX so the future vision is for the barcode scanners to some how talk to Dynamics.

So, I have an Access Database How Simple is it to modify it slightly so that I can add a Barcode next to Finished Stock... and how do I link it to know where it is in the warehouse or which site.

Or is it difficult and I should probably leave it to continue manually for now and approach this again when AX goes Live Properly in November.

Ta V/Much

James.
    I see similar threads about barcode scanner. Check:
    Free Barcode Scanning Software?
    Database with a Barcode Reader

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread