+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Help me buy a car! £3700 for a large diesel hatch/estate in General; ...
    Thank Post

Help me buy a car! £3700 for a large diesel hatch/estate

I've got £3700 to spend on a car. I've been searching high and low for a couple of weeks and I think I want a 03-05 Mondeo Ghia 2L Diesel with around 60-80k on the clock, although I have seen some Audi A4s and VW Passats with slightly higher mileage/lower spec for a similar price.

What would you spend your money on? Low mileage Ford or a high mileage German machine?

Thank Post
    What about a Skoda Octiva Estate i hear they are very good for the price worth a look.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    High Mileage German Machine - No brainer for me, especially when you are talking about a diesel engine.

Even if they are not quite as sound spec-wise as the Mondeo lets face it Fords are so boring!

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A Passat or A4 would hardly be a bundle of excitement! To be honest, as much as I like VWs I'm giving serious thought to getting a Ford for my next car because you get a lot more for your money, in the second hand market at least.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking at a diesel Mondeo for £3000 which will get you quite a good one. I would have been in the market for a VW or Audi A4, but repairs are hideous if something goes wrong, and you get lots of goodies as standard in a Mondeo

Thank Post
    What would you say was good mileage for a Mondeo at around £3-4k then? Should I be after 55k miles or are they still ok at 80k+?

After 2 weeks of research, I'm usually completely set on what I want to the exact detail when it comes to Music equipment or PC hardware, but this is really throwing me...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Jonesy View Post
    What about a Skoda Octiva Estate i hear they are very good for the price worth a look.
    I will second this - very good for the budget, same engines and build quality as any VW and damned reliable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    A Passat or A4 would hardly be a bundle of excitement!
    Compared to a Mondeo........really???

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A well maintained modern diesel engine will easily clock over 180k, as for price you can see here what you can get for 2.7k near where I live: 2005 FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi 130 LX 5dr [6] Diesel Estate
    You should also remeber that car prices can be regional as well with some areas being cheaper than others (although not by much sometimes).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anything with German or Japanese engineering and you are sorted, the mrs has rarely had a fault with her Mazda before she sold it and rarely had a fault with her VW before she sold that. We switched to a Hyundai and have had a fair few problems (car goes through oil like lightning despite there being no "fault").

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I would also say, is look at how they hold their value.....

You get more Ford for your money because they do not hold their value as well in the second hand market whereas both the Audi and especially the VW's do. I have just been looking at the diesel VW Golfs TDI's and even on high mileage ie 140 000 they are still £3k - £4k.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself Ben is are you wanting to sell it later on for any real money. If not then the Mondeo is a great option, if so then the Audi or VW with over 120 000 on the clock would still sell for at least £2k.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    What I would also say, is look at how they hold their value.....

You get more Ford for your money because they do not hold their value as well in the second hand market whereas both the Audi and especially the VW's do. I have just been looking at the diesel VW Golfs TDI's and even on high mileage ie 140 000 they are still £3k - £4k.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself Ben is are you wanting to sell it later on for any real money. If not then the Mondeo is a great option, if so then the Audi or VW with over 120 000 on the clock would still sell for at least £2k.

Hope it helps.

Chris
    I was looking at a mk4 GT TDI but they really hold thier money! Bought a Corolla T-Sport in the end

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    I was looking at a mk4 GT TDI but they really hold thier money! Bought a Corolla T-Sport in the end
    Ha I know I am still looking!

Chris

Thank Post
    Hi all,
    Mondeo driver here.
    I had the estate version you're looking at for a little while. It was a ghia and had about 60k on the clock and drove like it was new. It was a company car though so had full servicing by ford up to that point.
    I've now got a 58 plate titanium mondeo hatch and it's done 90k in 2 years 6 months, and again, still drives like its new.
    The only thing i'd say about them (all duratorq ford diesel engines) is they have dual mass flywheels which are known for throwing a bit of a wobbly occasionally. The newer the car is the less likely you are to have a problem but the difference lies between the 130ps engines in the 05 plate type model, the 140ps model on the 07 onwards and the 160 ps on the 10 onwards. So if you can get one that's had a new one at some point, do.
    To test it on a test drive, get to about 1200 RPM in 3rd and floor it. Check for engine rumble (you'll feel the feedback through the wheel and your feet) and see if it struggles.
    Also make sure it starts perfectly. When they start to go it sounds like the starter motor is disengaging a little too early and doesnt start right.

But, I wouldnt let the above put you off too much. Just worth a check when you're testing the. Otherwise, they're spot on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    I was looking at a mk4 GT TDI but they really hold thier money!
    I can agree with that was very pleased with what I got for my MK4 Golf GTI (was the 150bhp Diesel they did) and that was on Part-Ex as I needed to shift it quick for a few reasons like needing a new climate control system at a cost of about £900 and various other very expensive bills coming up due to the age. Went a nice way towards the VW that has replaced it

As has been said if you want to run it into the ground then a Ford will be fine but you'll get £50 at the end and have to smile, get a VW you might get £600 instead and be happier

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast