+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car tyres - new or part-worn? in General; ...
    Thank Post

Car tyres - new or part-worn?

I've always been somewhat concious of how I spent money; when it comes to my cars in the past, I have always gone for part-worns (though the cars have never been that fantastic anyway).

Bit different now that I have a new model Fiesta, owned from new and need to replace the fronties. To get both new & fitted I am looking at around £110 for bridgestone/firestone/uniroyal type brand, though after something a teacher said, I am now seriously considering travelling to some scrap yards seeing if I can get a decent (min 6mm) part-worn.

Does anyone else do this and/or can recommend or advise of what to look out for? I must admit I am a little wary seeing as a car in a scrappie is usually there through damage of some sort, though the potential saving makes it worthwhile looking into.

Thank Post
    forget the scrap yard, look for a tyre fitter who does part worn. I was always % new until I was recomended a part worn supplier. £ fitted and balanced

Thank Post
    I buy new and don't buy top end I buy mid range which will do. I have 205/40/17 which are low profile 17's and I get Khumo's for around 55 a tyre with a little discount.

Thank Post
    When I came to change the fronts on my Saab, the cost was going to be £180 EACH! I checked the book and found there was a "more standard" profile, but would have to change them all. They only cost £35 ea. for Michelins from ATS, then they gave me 25% for buying 4. Cost bit for tracking and disposal and stuff, but I'd really not fart around with part used.

Thank Post
    These 4 spots of rubber might be the last thing between you and fiery death. Personally this is one of the last places i'd look to save money.

6. 5 Thanks to tom_newton:

j17sparky (8th August 2011), MK-2 (4th August 2011), newpersn (4th August 2011), SYSMAN_MK (4th August 2011), Tech1 (10th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Like said above dont go to a scrap yard for them they will sell you any crap use a tyre fitter that supplies part worn, I always buy part worns the place I go in nottingham (happy tyre man) do half worn or nearly new as they call them and I pay £20 for nearly new, they are always great brands and nearly new lol

this is for 14 and 15's but they normally have stock of all sizes upto 22" in part worn

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tyres - Cheap Tyres + Free Fitting at Home or Work UK Wide - etyres < Use them to get the tyres for the mrs, cheapest around (beating most of the breakers for part worn as well).

Thank Post
    i have bought cheaper partwordn tyres in the past for some of my sillyer cars and found them to give less than good grip, the only ones ive had recently are a set of Yoko's but even "part worn" they still had the chalk lines on them, id prefer to pay more for a tyre and know that im not going to start sliding going round a corner and end up sideways in a field/ditch/car/cow(yes the 4th one has happened to me)
    mid range are normal the best you can get, because high end tyres are often a more grippy compound but that makes them softer and last a shorter time

Thank Post
    Tyres - Cheap Tyres + Free Fitting at Home or Work UK Wide - etyres < Use them to get the tyres for the mrs, cheapest around (beating most of the breakers for part worn as well).
    They don't seem to be cheap at all! The cheapest they do for 165/65R13 is about £45 per tyre! My local dealer does £32 per tyre (new economy brand) and a two pounds fitting per tyre.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you including the 40% discount you get as a council employee?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    you including the 40% discount you get as a council employee?
    Nope, I didn't know there was a discount?

Thank Post
    I'm with @tom_newton on this one - your tyres are the one thing between your car and the road. They directly impact stopping distances and don't forget that a part worn tyre may have an unseen weakness and you put yourself at an increased risk of blowout. Of course ALL tyres put you at risk of this if there is a fault, but if the fault exists in a part worn tyre then it has been under strain previously.

I'm afraid that when it comes to tyres and brakes, considering I do a fair few motorway miles travelling between home, my family and my partner and his family I tend to err on the side of caution considering I'm hurtling along a motorway in a tin can...

The price of a new tyre is never higher than my life is worth...
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 4th August 2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    personally i'd look for kumho, hankook or BF goodrich, which are at the budget end of mid range for your vehicle.

Tyres are not all created equal and this is what you pay for.

Thank Post
    I always buy new, I agree with the earlier posts that tyres are one area you should never scrimp on. Many years ago I bought a remould tyre when times were hard... big mistake... especially when the tread seperated from the tyre carcass. Since then I have always stuck to top brands, especially on the high performance cars I have owned. There are bargains to be had if you are prepared to do your homework. You need to be careful too about what your insurance company might do in the event of an accident, they can & do check that you have the appropriate size, speed & load rating on tyres fitted to your vehicle as well as how much tread is left.

Also, be aware that tyres have a manufacture date embossed on the side wall, it is normal to consider replacing tyres once they reach a certain age (varies according to load rating, type etc) but probably should not exceed 7 years....so make sure if you do buy part worn that these are not old tyres....

Thank Post
    As AMLighfoot says - Buy new, the risk of going part worn is too great especially if your car transports your loved ones. Make tyres last longer by decreasing the number of car journeys of less than a mile or so, then the cost per annum average is less.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast