+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 50 of 50
General Chat Thread, Car tyres - new or part-worn? in General; The thread has made for very interesting reading and thanks to all that have expressed their view. FWIW, I ended ...
  1. #46
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,101
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    The thread has made for very interesting reading and thanks to all that have expressed their view.

    FWIW, I ended up buying 2 new Bravuris tyres (a sub-brand of continental I believe?) for £55 each fitted. In the end it was a combination of wanting the guarantee of new tyres on the front particulaely, and also needing to do something immediately as they were borderline illegal!

    In saying that, it's not put me off considering part-worns in future (particularly on the back tyres).

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    860
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    In saying that, it's not put me off considering part-worns in future (particularly on the back tyres).
    That's an interesting viewpoint. From what I understand, with a FWD car, the back tyres are actually more important from a safety point of view - it is much harder to keep control of the car in the event of a rear tyre failure compared with a front failure.

  3. #48
    Gibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    893
    Thank Post
    206
    Thanked 343 Times in 238 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    From what I understand, with a FWD car, the back tyres are actually more important from a safety point of view - it is much harder to keep control of the car in the event of a rear tyre failure compared with a front failure.
    That's also what I was taught.

    Motorists get their tyres “back to front”! - News & Events - TyreSafe

  4. #49
    dgsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    1,101
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 90 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Interestng, and explains why the move-to-front approach is used by some. Unfortunately for me, I get all my punctures on the back and i've had to replace the 2 mich. tyres on the rear within 6 months of buying the new car (and with 90% tread left) which has left me wary about buying new/top-end on the back.

  5. #50

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Interestng, and explains why the move-to-front approach is used by some. Unfortunately for me, I get all my punctures on the back and i've had to replace the 2 mich. tyres on the rear within 6 months of buying the new car (and with 90% tread left) which has left me wary about buying new/top-end on the back.
    Unlucky... this happened to my wife last October when she picked up a puncture in her new car with only 70 miles on the clock. The local tyre specialist said he could not repair it, however he could sent it off for a 'major' repair which involved patching on the inside & vulcanising the repair. If I recall correctly, it was £20 or thereabouts for the repair, but a lot cheaper than the £110 for a new one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. New car choice- Fiesta zetec-s tdci OR ibiza tdi?
    By bondbill2k2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11th January 2012, 12:25 PM
  2. New Site - Part 1
    By alan-d in forum Web Development
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14th May 2009, 09:19 PM
  3. How many schools host there own website? or part of?
    By lalalalalalalalalalala in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14th February 2007, 10:51 PM
  4. New storage server? or something else?
    By Teth in forum Hardware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 6th February 2007, 10:11 AM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23rd December 2006, 09:36 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •