+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car tyres - new or part-worn? in General; Originally Posted by tom_newton These 4 spots of rubber might be the last thing between you and fiery death. Personally ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    These 4 spots of rubber might be the last thing between you and fiery death. Personally this is one of the last places i'd look to save money.
    So every time you buy a new (to you) car I assume you replace all four tyres, since they're technically part worn?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Looking at etyres the same tyres I currently have on my car are 92 with the 40% discount it brings them down to the price I currently pay at my local tyre place.

Ben

Thank Post
    If the tyres are a good brand with plenty of tread, no sidewall damage and not remoulds im happy as Gibbo says you wouldnt buy a used car and immediately replace all the tyres if they all have good tread them them surely?

you can buy top end tyres and have them fail, I had 22" continental on a range once cost 205 and that failed after 300 miles, so new tyres wont keep your family safe lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    So every time you buy a new (to you) car I assume you replace all four tyres, since they're technically part worn?
    Hardly the same - given at this point we're talking about replacing tyres, and there's a direct choice between new and used. There is no "do nothing" option. With a second hand car (our last 2 have been new, the wife is a petrolhead and very demanding ) I would certainly consider replacing all four feet, or asking the vendor to do so.

Thank Post
    I take my tyres very seriously. Last year I walked away from a nearly new Mercedes C-Class with 11k miles on the clock because the main dealer had re-shod it with cheap imported tyres.

When you have had a tyre break up, or had a blow-out at speed as I have done you look at these things differently. Our current car tyres will be changed well before they are legally worn.. Our Motorhome tyres (all 5, inc spare) will be changed at 5 years (tyre age) regardless of how much tread is left.

Thank Post
    Last time I purchased a car of any value (97 nissan 200sx) I did change all the tyres within 2 months. My current car I left until they needed replacing, but I wouldn't change old tyres for part worns.

Many part worns are legal, but have had puncture repairs or been removed from a written off car. They have been taken off another car for a reason. How often do you take good tyres off a car and replace with another?

New tyres come with 8mm, part worns around 5mm (unknown consistency) and the legal limit 1.6mm. Work out the per mm.

Thank Post
    @Theblacksheep raises a good point - I was thinking about that earlier actually - ultimately, a part-worn tyre may end up as a 'false economy' in that they might cost 1/3 less but you replace them twice as often.

Another thing to consider is the grade of rubber you buy. Luckily for me my other half works in the service department at a well known dealership chain in Hampshire so he knows what's what. A cheaper, budget tyre is likely to be a softer rubber which gives a nice soft ride with little road noise but wears faster. You can get softer 'high end' tyres but you would have to specifically choose these for the 'driving experience' and in those circumstances I can't imagine money is much of a worry. A harder compound tyre tends to wear slightly slower but the trade-off is road noise. I tend to choose the harder compounds for my car (2001 Model 2.2l Vectra) - If the road is noisy I turn up the radio! lol Radio is free - tyres are not!

Have a chat with someone in a proper tyre centre, not Quik-fit as they will be able to tell you which are harder, which are softer and which are in the middle - sometimes a more expensive tyre with a harder compound will last longer so you get more miles for your money.

Another tip is to make sure you service your tyres regularly - keep them appropriately inflated, check them for nails, stones, bits of glass, bulges etc etc. Also make sure your tracking and balancing is checked regularly as diffy tracking or an unbalanced wheel will affect the life of the tyre. I'm pretty sure you can get free or very cheap tracking and balancing checks done - I know F1 near where my parents live tends to be quite helpful. My Dad is quite cheeky - he takes his car down for a check and gets a quote from them then my other half sources them for him from his contacts in the trade. I'd feel bad about it except if F1 tyres weren't so overpriced they'd get the custom. So it's their own fault really.

Thank Post
    Alot more responses than I expected so thanks for that. Seems quite unanimous that most folk just won't entertain part-worns. I'm wondering though if this is because they really aren't worth it or if it's because of a single bad experience? Admittedly I can't disgaree with the comment about scrap yards not necessarily knowing if the tyres are 100% undamaged (or previously "repaired").

FTR, when I mention part-worn I mean specifically where the wear is fractional and has at least 6mm remaining - the false economy statement is certainly true for say 5mm and below.

Thank Post
    I've used part worn tyres from a local dealer for the last 7/8 years, first on a BMW 323 (2.5litre), then on a Polo. I don't expect them to last as long as new tyres but I do expect them to generally be better quality than some of the cheap tyres you can find. You need to inspect them critically and if you don't like the look of them (marks on sidewall, cuts etc) then just ask for another. The savings over new tyres can be huge (used to be 800 for new tyres for the BMW, as opposed to about 130 for a full set of part worn). Most of the tyres I've picked up look to me like they have had less than 1000 miles on them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Silly silly - part worns are NOT advisable. If new ones go wrong, you have a guarantee... if you live to claim it.
    The 17s on my Accord only cost 180 for a set - just avoid some of the daft names like Michelin, Pirelli etc. I usually plump for Hankooks.

Thank Post
    Costco do new Michelins at a decent price, including fitting. May be worth the membership fee for tyres alone in some cases.

Thank Post
    If any tyre place is decent they will not do part worns. I do some IT work in our local place hence my cheap prices and they can't believe people come in asking for part worns and they are often paying more than a budget brand from the garage where I do bits.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As for people who say it's no different to the "part worns" already on your car - the big difference here is that you know the history of the tyres on your own car. I hope!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Tyres - Cheap Tyres + Free Fitting at Home or Work UK Wide - etyres < Use them to get the tyres for the mrs, cheapest around (beating most of the breakers for part worn as well).
    I have been using etyres quite happily for the last several years, including only a couple of months ago - but recently a colleague found that Kwik-Fit was around twenty quid a corner cheaper (for Bridgestone ER300s) fully fitted!!!

Seems like there is a lot of competition out there in the current economic climate, so i reckon a bit of ringing around and haggling will come up with come very good prices on new tyres (whoever you call).

mb

Thank Post
    I buy budgets. Not had any hassle with them. Last as long as the others. I only drive a little fiesta with 15" mondeo GTI Alloys (low profiles i think not sure)

but at 45.... bit costly but i wouldnt put part worn on doing 45 miles aday

Car just costed me 90 last month on rubber for the back wheels.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast