+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Caravanners in General; Originally Posted by Earthling Didn't have a touring van, but my parents had a static caravan at Aberavon during the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Didn't have a touring van, but my parents had a static caravan at Aberavon during the early to mid-60's, when I was 10 -14 years, thereabouts. We spent most weekends there during the spring/summer and Sept-Oct. Quite near to your neck of the Principality, Gareth.
    Yes - not far at all. I was walking on that very Aberavon beach the other day. We used to have massive family get togethers on that beach once a Summer. Everyone - aunties, uncles, etc etc all met for one day and brought picnics. Back in the 70's early 80s. It went downhill for a while but NPT are investing more in it. My Gran went into a nursing home overlooking the beach a few years ago. Alas she is no longer with us but her being there took me to the beach quite a lot.

It was a lively old place then, the camp-site was in between the Sandfields housing estate and the oil-refinery (whatever it was). I can remember the Afan Lido being built, along with various pubs/clubs along the seafront. Miles of clean sandy beach, sand-dunes, sunshine, dirty Bristol Channel, Beatles songs on the fairgound juke-boxes, Rolling Stones, Swinging Blue Jeans et al.
    Well I guess you know the Afan Lido was burnt down the other year. I've not kept up with developments so do not know if it's being rebuilt. A Harry Ramsden's opened up the other year and lasted about 9 months with their stupidly expensive fish and chips. There is an Apollo Cinema there - that's cool. A nice cafe and chippy now on the front. Always very busy.[/quote]

I looked on Google Earth the other day and the campsite was gone, the refinery (whatever it was...gone), and the housing estate overflowed onto what was the campsite.
    Any idea what the post code was back then?

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    We used to go to static caravans/chalets at Landanwg,(every whitsun) Pembrokeshire and Angelsey, as well as static camping in Brittany and the South of France when I was a child.
    Mr wITch and I took the children to static caravans in Cornwall, Devon, and to tents at various points in France when they were small.
    We have very good memories of it all but I don't really like camping in tents at all. I would consider my own camper van -fancy a converted T4 or similar. I'm not good at sharing facilities as you have to when camping.
    I would like to drive a camper around the States or Canada one day with mrwITch

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Time for some ridiculous camping advice...

This is my van last year at Newgale, west Wales.
    Reverse a Kangoo into an awning and hey presto... one motorhome.
    Caravanners-jinnantonnixx-albums-stuff-picture14305-dscf1435.jpg

It's quite 'cosy', but it works.
    Caravanners-jinnantonnixx-albums-stuff-picture14306-dscf1436.jpg

I bought a nice bell tent last year, really heavy cotton. Can't find any photos, but it's really easy to put up and recommended. The weather's been so bad I only used it twice last year and haven't been anywhere this year.

Anyway, some actual sensible advice. Camping beds are usually terrible, and those polycell mats are purgatory.
    I bought some (oddly named) 'carp beds' (watch for typos) used by fishermen.
    This is the actual bed I bought (though I had it for 79 last year).
    TF Gear Chill Out 3 Leg Bed - Fishing Bed Chairs Fishtec
    Seriously, I've slept in worse hotel beds. They're fantastically comfortable.

4. 2 Thanks to jinnantonnixx:

ButterflyMoon (18th June 2012), jdoyle (16th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    <SNIP>

Any idea what the post code was back then?

GJE
    I'm not awfully sure we had postcodes in those days. I'm talking 1963-67. If there was apostcode, I don't know what it was.

Thank Post
    Well me and the wife have just bought our first caravan, and now getting rid of the trailer tent. Rather spur of the moment as we were planning a honeymoon abroad, but decided for the price we can get a caravan and use it a lot more, and next year won't be so bad to get away. I use to caravan when I was younger, but now i'm 29 and we decided it would be a cheap way to get away more. We're going to kendal in july for a weekend, and looking for somewhere for the bank holiday weekend in august, but can't really decide at the moment. We're taking our daughter who is 2 in august, she loves being in the caravan thanks to grand parents taking her away in the motorhome.

Caravan is a 94 abbey county somerset 4 berth and i'm using the BMW 523i to tow it. 20 miles drag home and it was fine.

Thank Post
    Yay - Shed Dragging

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Harve View Post
    Well me and the wife have just bought our first caravan, and now getting rid of the trailer tent. Rather spur of the moment as we were planning a honeymoon abroad, but decided for the price we can get a caravan and use it a lot more, and next year won't be so bad to get away. I use to caravan when I was younger, but now i'm 29 and we decided it would be a cheap way to get away more. We're going to kendal in july for a weekend, and looking for somewhere for the bank holiday weekend in august, but can't really decide at the moment. We're taking our daughter who is 2 in august, she loves being in the caravan thanks to grand parents taking her away in the motorhome.

Caravan is a 94 abbey county somerset 4 berth and i'm using the BMW 523i to tow it. 20 miles drag home and it was fine.
    Welcome to the clan. Some nice sites over the bridge if you are up for travelling.

GJE

rad
    Thank Post
    Caravanners-sr0077.jpgCaravanners-sr0080.jpg
    Pictures from our Wedding day. Can the weather brighten up please so we can use her fully.

Thank Post
    I'm very much of the if you want to get away from it all, then camp, mentality...

The way i look at it is that the cost of a caravan adds up to lot of nights in a travelodge and a lot less grief!

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

jdoyle (18th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information