Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Caravanners in General; I used to have a VW camper, but south Wales != southern California, so I sold it. Back to tent ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a VW camper, but south Wales != southern California, so I sold it.

Back to tent now, but I've been intrigued by these fellas...
    Little Guy Teardrop Trailers - Home

Thank Post
    Caravans are tempting but it's the storage of it for me, we just don't have the space for one. We have a lovely Outwell 5 man polycotton tent which does us great, have everything organised to be ready to go so if we decide last minute to head off and can get the tent up and everything unpacked in 30 minutes with just 2 of us.

Thank Post
    When youngster is a bit older, go to Caravan Club site at Longleat and enjoy
    Si

Thank Post
    I have a VW T4 van that i converted last year. Great for going away for weekends and chilling out in the sun

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    When youngster is a bit older, go to Caravan Club site at Longleat and enjoy
    Si
    Believe it or not we booked Longleat the other week for August.

Gareth

Thank Post
    We've got a 1973 VW Bay Type 2 (there's pics on edugeek somewhere from when I first got it), and although it costs us a fortune each year on welding and all sorts of mechanical problems, I wouldn't swap her for anything :-)

Took her out for the first time this year last weekend, went to a campsite called Nant Hill in Prestatyn (please excuse spelling) ahead of taking her away over half term next week to York.

Looking forward to plenty more weekends this year sat by the Van :-)

Thank Post
    My van is a Subaru Sambar tiny engine but it is the dogs. Great MPG and fun to drive. I have a rock and roll rear seat that converts into a 3/4 double bed. I also have an old (great condition) Harrison awning which works well for the day stuff ie cooking, sitting about in the evenings etc. Am heading down the Yorkshire coast soon for a few days. Summer though I think may be heading to Argyll and some good walking.
    Last edited by ButterflyMoon; 28th May 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a Bailey Ranger 460\4 which we had from new about 6 years ago and tow with a Honda CRV. Stopped at C&C Cardigan Bay site at Easter which was a very pleasant location.
    Going to the Tavistock Site in the summer which will be the first big trip with our new puppies. Just had to cancel a trip to Delemere Forest as they will be too young and not fully jabbed up .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Caravans are tempting but it's the storage of it for me, we just don't have the space for one. We have a lovely Outwell 5 man polycotton tent which does us great, have everything organised to be ready to go so if we decide last minute to head off and can get the tent up and everything unpacked in 30 minutes with just 2 of us.
    Is that the Bear Lake? We have the smaller Trout Lake which is great, but the sloping corners make the main living area feel a bit small when the door is closed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Almost a year since I posted the question. Since then we have changed our Bailey Senator for a Bailey Olympus 525. The little one is too young to travel abroad without a thousand service stops in between so we are staying in the Uk..

Gareth
    I have to disagree. My parents got their fist touring van just after my sister was born (I was 2). We had a 12' Astral Ranger followed by a 12'6" Forest Sherwood.

My father took all his leave in one go and we toured Europe every summer. Dad built a sort of frame with plastic mesh in the side which attached with bolts, turning the bottom bunk into a cot for my sister. It was a fantastic way for us to see the world... all in the days of plastic car seats, no DVD players or ipods and no air-con

Aged about 7, I can still clearly remember going down the west side of Italy via Florence and Rome to Naples... going up Vesuvius in a chairlift... back up the East side via Venice and then round into Yugoslavia visiting Dubrovnik and Sarajevo amongst other places.

The Alps were brilliant for holidays when we were small and also the Ardeche Valley in Southern France.

There didn't seem to be anywhere we didn't take our van. As we grew older we used to go down to Sort in the Spanish Pyrennees, towing through some fairly dodgy mountain passes, for a Canoeing Festival and then head back into Provence for sun, wine and good food

Compared with other children our age, my sister and I were incredibly well travelled and we could never have afforded it without the caravan.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th May 2012 at 10:50 AM.

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

garethedmondson (16th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post

Compared with other children our age, my sister and I were incredibly well travelled and we could never have afforded it without the caravan.
    Hear, Hear! We never got as for as you've been but we did loads of the UK, France and Italy in a caravan from being nippers. and it was a fantastic childhood! These were the days before we had electric hookup so everything was gas or 12v Still remember the old gas lights in the van and watching french cartoons on an ancient black and white 12v television before the parents woke up.

Thank Post
    Didn't have a touring van, but my parents had a static caravan at Aberavon during the early to mid-60's, when I was 10 -14 years, thereabouts. We spent most weekends there during the spring/summer and Sept-Oct. Quite near to your neck of the Principality, Gareth.

It was a lively old place then, the camp-site was in between the Sandfields housing estate and the oil-refinery (whatever it was). I can remember the Afan Lido being built, along with various pubs/clubs along the seafront. Miles of clean sandy beach, sand-dunes, sunshine, dirty Bristol Channel, Beatles songs on the fairgound juke-boxes, Rolling Stones, Swinging Blue Jeans et al.

Occasionally, we'd drive into Swansea on a Saturday evening to the cinema.......that's where I saw 'Zulu' for the first time.

I looked on Google Earth the other day and the campsite was gone, the refinery (whatever it was...gone), and the housing estate overflowed onto what was the campsite.

Everything changes, nothing stays the same forever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    Is that the Bear Lake? We have the smaller Trout Lake which is great, but the sloping corners make the main living area feel a bit small when the door is closed.
    Sorry, didn't see this! We have the Outwell Columbia River, it's the polycotton version of the Nevada M. I think they only made it for a year and ended up paying not much more for it than the Nevada M's were going for. I know what you mean about the sloping corners, but it's fine for us, just the 2 of us in a 5 man tent gives us plenty of space!
    Only problem is, we were away a couple of weeks ago and we walked past a caravan sales place where we stopped for a coffee and then had a browse, Mrs Teejay now wants a caravan...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Didn't have a touring van, but my parents had a static caravan at Aberavon during the early to mid-60's, when I was 10 -14 years, thereabouts. We spent most weekends there during the spring/summer and Sept-Oct. Quite near to your neck of the Principality, Gareth.

It was a lively old place then, the camp-site was in between the Sandfields housing estate and the oil-refinery (whatever it was). I can remember the Afan Lido being built, along with various pubs/clubs along the seafront. Miles of clean sandy beach, sand-dunes, sunshine, dirty Bristol Channel, Beatles songs on the fairgound juke-boxes, Rolling Stones, Swinging Blue Jeans et al.

Occasionally, we'd drive into Swansea on a Saturday evening to the cinema.......that's where I saw 'Zulu' for the first time.

I looked on Google Earth the other day and the campsite was gone, the refinery (whatever it was...gone), and the housing estate overflowed onto what was the campsite.

Everything changes, nothing stays the same forever.

I think your referring to the oil refinery/ICI chemical processing plant by the sounds of it, the sandfields has undergone a fair amount of restoration and regeneration works in recent years from what I have seen in visits to the area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @elsiegee40 - Point taken. Knowing my boy I think 23 months is too young at this moment in time :-)

However - it is on the cards for next year.

GJE

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information