+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Windows 8 beta due next month? in General; The Windows 8 rumour mill seems to be hotting up at the moment and many sites are now speculating that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 beta due next month?

The Windows 8 rumour mill seems to be hotting up at the moment and many sites are now speculating that W8 beta will be offered to attendees fo the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference 2011 in mid-September. Given this I wonder how soon after this we will be able to see it as a download on our various TechNet and other Microsoft subscription services?
    With it's multi-chip and platform/device support it's going to be a BIG beta I suspect and seeing as the interface is a lot differant to current Windows versions in certain configurations it will be intersting to see how schools and companies will fit it in, but seeing as many have either just finished or just beginning the migration to W7 we shall have plenty of time even after the final release to test and assess it.

2. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

TheScarfedOne (2nd August 2011)

Thank Post
    That'll put the later Windows 7 adopters in an interesting position... will it be worth going to 7 or hold out a bit longer and jump to 8

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better to go to a proven system like 7 than a big jump to 8.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Very true, I'm glad I've let others take the pain of Windows 7 redirection issues and profiles... wonder what MS have in store for us next time round

What's interesting is how much of a fragmented market that we might have in a year or so time... loads of people still on XP, a decent chunk of 7 then some early adopters on 8. All with a mish-mash of Office 2007 and 2010... that'll be for users to figure out as they move between machines at home \ work!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Very true, I'm glad I've let others take the pain of Windows 7 redirection issues and profiles... wonder what MS have in store for us next time round

What's interesting is how much of a fragmented market that we might have in a year or so time... loads of people still on XP, a decent chunk of 7 then some early adopters on 8. All with a mish-mash of Office 2007 and 2010... that'll be for users to figure out as they move between machines at home \ work!
    I think that those still on XP will still have the lape to W7 to make as W8 may just be a bit too much, but my guess is that the technologies in W8 will be at least a generation beyond XP, and whilst you can still do 'most things' with XP given some faffing and tweaking, W8 will provde many services (I'm thinking mainly along the lines of remote facilities) right out of the box.
    I also suspect that the take up of W7 was proberbly actually helped a great deal by the early problems with Vista, most of which have been rectifed by service packs and advances in hardware since it's launch. With many IT types playing with Vista at an early date (and swearing at it) with a view to potentially rolling it out, it actually addressed the very issues that W7 presented (profiles etc.), so when W7 was launched most of the leg work was done for potential adopters. W8, however is, I suspect, going to be a different beast altogether.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    W8 is apparently going to be based on their mobile technology so it will be installable to all manner of devices whilst remaining light at the core.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    It is what we are currently doing, we have almost upgraded our whole system to W7/2008R2 and so far we have had little issues, our big test in september is when the kids come back but so far seems all good.

W8 will be a year out before we consider using it on laptops for staff who are always our testers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We found early adoption to W7 ironed out the bugs and provided useful intel to MS regarding bugs with GPOs etc.

Also allowed us to get things tested in depth and gave us a better understanding, rather than letting everyone else do the job and us not learning much.

W8 will be a wait and see jobby as it took MONTHS to get things right with W7.

Thank Post
    That'll put the later Windows 7 adopters in an interesting position... will it be worth going to 7 or hold out a bit longer and jump to 8
    Personally i'd still say it's a no brainer to make the move, there were some major changes that needed to be made from the transition to 7 from XP (profiles and policies to name a few) but i'm willing to bet 8 will be very much like windows 7 in it's background setup, most likely working with everything windows 7 adopters have put in place allowing for a smooth transition.

Moving to a proven system like windows 7 now and having that all in place gives people a lot more freedom when it comes to the choice of moving to 8 - basing that purely on guess work mind you, but i'm willing to bet it'll be a fairly accurate guess.

Must admit though, the move from XP to 7 for me personally only encountered one issue that took me a while to overcome and that was a printing problem (which i now know what purely driver related) i spent 6-7 months testing and configuring everything from WDS to the software for our images before a user ever touched it, beyond that it was almost faultless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Personally i'd still say it's a no brainer to make the move, there were some major changes that needed to be made from the transition to 7 from XP (profiles and policies to name a few) but i'm willing to bet 8 will be very much like windows 7 in it's background setup, most likely working with everything windows 7 adopters have put in place allowing for a smooth transition.
    You'd hope so but MS stuff never seems to work that way

Thank Post
    Very true

Thank Post
    Yep!

Not only that we use SIMs and a lot of software here and the companies don't always support new OS's for at least 6-9 months some even a year. So for us the smartest thing to do is stick to Windows 7. You also have to remember the mistake OS's like Vista/98 which were short lived. We are so glad we did not go down the those routes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I reckon I'll wait for Win9 once 7 is in place here... I've got a theory that MS software is like Star Trek movies - only every other one is any good, usually.

We have Win7 now, is good; before that, Vista, not so good; XP, great; ME, shocking; 98SE, great; 98 original, meh; 95 great (for the time!)

Same with Office... 2010 seems good, 2007 got a bad rep, 2003 was great and had massive acceptance, that 2000 never got, because everyone was still using '97...

So by that logic, 8 will be a testing bed to help them get 9 right

Thank Post
    There was nothing inherently wrong with Office 2007, just a massive UI jump. Now a lot of people have gone through that change from toolbar to ribbon 2010 is quite simple in comparison and comes with some nice new toys to make the change worthwhile so it's win-win

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I reckon I'll wait for Win9 once 7 is in place here... I've got a theory that MS software is like Star Trek movies - only every other one is any good, usually.

We have Win7 now, is good; before that, Vista, not so good; XP, great; ME, shocking; 98SE, great; 98 original, meh; 95 great (for the time!)
    But you missed out Win 2K which was perhaps the best thing they've ever released!

Anyway the new reboot Trek movie is technical an odd number (and 13) and it was good!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread