+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Violent games reduce anger - discuss in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta The problem is that any studies that have been done - and there have been a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The problem is that any studies that have been done - and there have been a few, in all fairness - all concentrate on short term effects.
    Any time I've seen videogames blamed for violent behaviour it's usually a case of "%person did something extremely violent, they play %game, %game caused this."

Never any questions on how mentally stable a person they were or if they have ever had violent episodes in the past.

Plus, they usually end with something like "%person has %Mental_health_issue."
    Which, when you look into it more, could be the real cause of the violent behaviour.

Thank Post
    FIFA has cost me more controllers than any shoot em up, nothing winds me up more than people quitting because they're losing or the in-game referees deciding to bias completely towards the other team...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Any time I've seen videogames blamed for violent behaviour it's usually a case of "%person did something extremely violent, they play %game, %game caused this."

Never any questions on how mentally stable a person they were or if they have ever had violent episodes in the past.

Plus, they usually end with something like "%person has %Mental_health_issue."
    Which, when you look into it more, could be the real cause of the violent behaviour.
    Rinse and repeat with comic books, rock n roll, television, movies, the printing press etc... any new development gets to go through this fun. I think we're coming out the back end of it now with the recent First Amendment decision in the Supreme Court though, that was a big putdown for all the legislative bullsh*t that was being dredged up for political means. If so, we've even gotten away without the equivalent of the Motion Picture Production Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or the Comics Code Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - I don't think the voluntary ratings system is anywhere near as restrictive as either of those were, and the damage that the CCA did to graphic novels is untold. They've still not really hit mainstream acceptance as an art form, even despite recent Marvel films - how many people are still ashamed to admit to reading comics after their teenage years?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You'll enjoy this article on Ars today, then.
    Heh, I was channelling a bit of Kuchera actually. And I agree with his points.

That and the Diablo 3 news (dumbed down the "fiddle with stuff, cos it's rpg-ish" and requiring you to be online to play) hacked me off.

Thank Post
    Tough one this, like many things a bad driver behind the wheel of a car can cause some serious problems. A person who has had a real bad day can decide to go 100MPH down the motorway and really not care.

When it comes to games, I have played my fair share of them - including blood, gore, explosions, call of duty (Including the scene where you gun down innocent civi's). Yet am I a psycho or do I have anger issues - Nope. My other half does not play games (Or enjoy Die hard films) but wind her up and she can seriously pick up some anger (worse then I have seen in most women).

My nephew can play some violent games and he is 12, but he is very responsible and only jokes about gunning down with a machine gun. He is a Soft heart as well, he could be a real bully because he is so tall compared to his year but because he has a loving family he has not got any anger issues.

My boss not long ago said that Anger, Hate, Death and Murder has been around since the dawn of time and we as a people will always be violent. It will not take over night to remove it, so when some kid copies a game then he mentally would probably copy a film or a tv program just as much.

Thank Post
    As I was growing up (Physically, not mentally ;o) ), I was given my first console which was a Spectrum 128k. I spent a few hours on there playing all kinds of games from racing, puzzle, shoot-em-ups, all whilst supervised by my parents (One was army and wasn't around as much as he'd like, the other was) who made sure I wasn't spending too long on them and knew the difference between reality and gaming. At the time, I remember hearing how music and books were the latest evil (This was 80's-early 90's).

Fast-forward a few years, I was then on the Commodore and the Sega Master System - again, playing all kinds of death-dealing games, racing around, etc, again under the watchfull eye of my parents. Around this time, films were the latest baddies (Child's Play was in the papers over the Bulger/Venables killings, etc, parents leaving kids in front of the TV watching 18+ films with no0one around, etc).

Near the end of 95-00, I was playing GTA (Original and London!), Doom, Duke Nukem, and other 18+ games, but always supervised by my parents who made sure I knew that the games were just that - games. They would buy them me every now and then (I'd save up, they'd get them), but they always took a vested interest in what I was playing, when I was playing it, and if they thought it was too much, they took would ban it. I think films and music were in the news again - Eminem had just started out and people were up in arms over his views on drugs/women/violence.
    As I got older I would then start playing Resident Evil, heading over to my mates to play Goldeneye - we were then trusted to play games ourselves, and to know the differences between gaming and reality.

Enter 2000/2010, I'm a mature-ish man who still plays games, plays games with his nieces and nephews, takes an interested view at what they watch/listen to, and they also know the difference between gaming and reality (The reality is that they REALLY are rubbish at COD, and I've someone I can beat!). Their parents will buy the odd 18+ game for them, but will make sure that it's not too much for them, and at least one adult is around for them.

No matter what game I played, someone was around to make sure it wasn't going to make me into a piano-string-carrying-loon, or have me mowing down hookers for money.
    Too many parents now will buy their children an 18+ game (I see this at a youth-group I run) and will just leave them to their devices. For the most of them, they turn out ok. But the odd one I've had to have words with.
    Sadly too many parents will just sit their kids in front of a game and leave them too it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12