+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, It's official - IE users are thickos! in General; I've aways said that only an idiot would use IE and I've been proven correct! It's official: IE users are ...

Thank Post

It's official - IE users are thickos!

I've aways said that only an idiot would use IE and I've been proven correct! It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers ? The Register

<smug on>
    I've been an Opera user for over 10 years, since version 3.5!
    <smug off>

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My IQ is 146...I use Internet Explorer and Chrome...I just proved that article wrong.

Thank Post
    Well it is The Register, kinda typical of a red top paper...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    from one of the comments there:

Another thing worth considering, is that many users are forced to use IE at work or on public terminals while very few people are forced to use the other browsers. As such, most of the non-ie browser users explicitly chose to use their given browser, while a proportion of the ie-users don't have the choice.

Thank Post
    I use IE by choice and I'm not 'stupid'. I have all three 'main' browsers installed and the one that causes me the least amount of hassle is IE. Although it must be said that Firefox has it's uses - particularly where certain javascript applets are concerned. I loathe Chrome passionately though. The interface is horrible, the 'under the hood' settings are too 'generic' and not specific enough. Firefox at least has a good degree of customisable settings and in many ways outstrips IE in performance. But sometimes it's a bit of a pain - the addons in particular kinda irritate me.

Personally I think it's wrong to brand someone 'stupid' by their choice of browser. The choice of browser is irrelevant - it's a personal comfort thing. Like a pair of tatty old shoes that are a bit rubbish but really comfortable. Just cos they're tatty doesn't make you a tramp...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My IQ is 146...I use Internet Explorer and Chrome...I just proved that article wrong.
    On what scale is it 146? Organisations like Mensa prefer to use percentiles to group intelligence, as there are so many scales and they all differ.

Eg. 'top 1%' etc...

However, this study is entirely flawed due to one thing - bored workers taking the test on their work machines. It skews the results.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Does this mean Mac and Linux users are smarter because they use an OS which doesn't have Internet Explorer?

As one commenter pointed out...

The sample is still based on people with nothing better to do with their time than complete an IQ test online, and the article suggests that these people have either searched for it or are the type who blindly click on adverts.
    People with higher IQs wouldn't have even bothered with the survey in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    I've been an Opera user for over 10 years, since version 3.5!
    You paid for a browser when others were free and then put up with that huge banner ad in versions 5.0 to 7.0.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    On what scale is it 146? Organisations like Mensa prefer to use percentiles to group intelligence, as there are so many scales and they all differ.

Eg. 'top 1%' etc...

However, this study is entirely flawed due to one thing - bored workers taking the test on their work machines. It skews the results.
    It was a Mensa test, however I couldn't afford the membership at the time. I just barely got above the required 144.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    It was a Mensa test, however I couldn't afford the membership at the time. I just barely got above the required 144.
    Indeed, but as I said, Mensa prefer to use percentiles, only including the 'number' when put in context of the scale it was on. Mensa make use of 2 tests/scales, namely the Cattell III B and the Cattell Cultural Fair III A. Minimum levels for membership on each are 148 and 132 at the moment (as they accept members from the top 2% of the population). However, IIRC, the level was around 144 for the III B when I took it around 10 years ago.

All kind of irrelevant when talking about browsers though - bright people rarely take IQ tests when bored online!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    bright people rarely take IQ tests when bored online!
    exactly,i spend my time catching up on the hollywood gossip sites instead......

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are portraying IE users as dumb, but singing the praises of IE users with Chrome frame installed? Makes no sense?

It's amazing how much flak IE still gets from the uninformed who still think it is the piece of garbage back in version 6. MS has changed as a company, their products have also grown up and I put IE and Firefox at about the same level of preference. My work machine uses both browsers equally, at home I used Chrome then swapped to IE as the endless updates got boring. In fact I used to hate IE9, now I love it.

Admittedly the IE developers could do with being a bit nicer to the web standards people and towing the line a bit more, but IE9 isn't something to just leave at the wayside because of the name. I have yet to see Ubuntu developers offer a browser choice instead of just installing Firefox as default...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I have yet to see Ubuntu developers offer a browser choice instead of just installing Firefox as default...
    It's in the documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebBrowsers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to see Ubuntu developers offer a browser choice instead of just installing Firefox as default...
    You've kind of missed the point of why MS offer a browser choice now - because they were legally forced to due to them engaging in anti-competitive behaviour. Ubuntu, as far as I know, has over a dozen browsers available from the default repositories (ie. a choice), but also doesn't have any form of monopoly and isn't trying to use that monopoly to leverage their way into other markets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I loathe Chrome passionately though. The interface is horrible...
    You won't like what Mozilla are thinking of doing to Firefox then...

Thank Post
    Firefox should remain the default browser in Ubuntu 11.10. However, this could change in the future...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/f...ntu-11-10-uds/

We're going to be discussing the default browser in the default app session, which we haven't had yet.

The original session was scheduled to discuss switching to a browser other than Firefox or Chromium, due to the release cadence of those browsers. However, we already decided before UDS that there is no chance of that, so we didn't want to waste everyones time by having a session for it
    It will be interesting to see what Canonical choose to do with the next Ubuntu LTS release (12.04), now that Mozilla support only the current version of Firefox (previous versions are EOL'd).
    Last edited by Arthur; 1st August 2011 at 12:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast