+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Astra VXR in General; Originally Posted by michael2k6 I've had a go in a friends renaultsport 225 and i can promise you it shifts. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    I've had a go in a friends renaultsport 225 and i can promise you it shifts. I've had it for a forntight when he was on hol, and it does certainly move.
    I've test driven and just ordered an alfa giulietta cloverleaf, which is meant to be the replacement for the 147 gta, and i loved that, but cant vouch for the gta.

Something else to consider, though a bit brittle is the RX8 231ps - I've had an R3 for a few weeks (same engine different body kit) and that shifts too. Theres nothing like a car that will rev to 9k rpm on the red line that sounds like a bike and has rear wheel drive. If you can get your hands on one, test drive one.
    9k is mental I thought I was doing well with a 8.3k redline

Thank Post
    other thing to look at could be moving to something like a Punto Abarth or a TJet150[bhp] Bravo (2007model) ive got the Tjet120[bhp] and it really shifts (low pressure turbo really does its job and makes it less thirsty) so im guessing the 150 bhp model will be even quicker, according to the book the 0-60 in mine is around 8.5 seconds so 30more ponys should make it super quick

Might be looking at a Mitsibishi Lancer (not the evo) as you can get a 1.8turbo charged petrol version of those aswell and its got a bomb proof Jap engine and the electrics will be more reliable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    other thing to look at could be moving to something like a Punto Abarth or a TJet150[bhp] Bravo (2007model) ive got the Tjet120[bhp] and it really shifts (low pressure turbo really does its job and makes it less thirsty) so im guessing the 150 bhp model will be even quicker, according to the book the 0-60 in mine is around 8.5 seconds so 30more ponys should make it super quick
    ...Or equally an Alfa Romeo MiTO turbo. I've got one with the Tjet150 engine (although its actually tuned to 155bhp) which doesn't half shift 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 6-speed and 40mpg, which ain't half bad for a 1.4 turbo. Gives most things on the road a run for their money, plus it's got the Alfa looks 'n style so it gets the chicks too! (er, just kidding - but it does get a lot of attention).
    Last edited by AlfaTech; 2nd August 2011 at 09:37 AM.

Thank Post
    If you're going for an Astra VXR, surely those above are a totally different ballpark though? 100bhp down and much less focused. IF you really wanted to go for focused fun, DC2 Integra Type-R. Seriously revvy, fantastic handling, very quick.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaTech View Post
    ...Or equally an Alfa Romeo MiTO turbo. I've got one with the Tjet150 engine (although its actually tuned to 155bhp) which doesn't half shift 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 6-speed and 40mpg, which ain't half bad for a 1.4 turbo. Gives most things on the road a run for their money, plus it's got the Alfa looks 'n style so it gets the chicks too! (er, just kidding - but it does get a lot of attention).
    i think the alfa mito looks a bit like a insect at the back, the Fiat/Alfa TJet engines are absolutly superb and they are quite reliable, the only thing i'd say look out for on the alfas and fiats is the stock brake discs are a bit sketchy, upgrading to a set of brembo discs and pads (calipers will be replaced when i can afford it too) is a must.

If your looking for a VXR why not try the insignia variant or if your feeling daring find somewhere with a Monaro VXR import from Australia

Thank Post
    Lol I think the price range might be getting a bit crazy here. But thanks for the comment on the giulietta! Can't wait. And yes, I'd heard the brake fade might be a bit pants, don't have a problem putting Brembo's on if I deem it necessary. I was quite impressed that the 225 had brembo 4 pots, then i realised i've got 4 pots on the mini lol (propper mini) and that a friends Q7 has 8 pots on the front and 6 pots on the back :S

Thank Post
    i dont think the prize is to crazy for the Fiat, i got mine for 3600 with a trade in of a battered skoda fabia with a dead clutch and no back suspension lol
    the only thing i didnt get were the breaks and the alloys, but i know someone at a breakers yard who got me a set of Fiat 17" alloys (luckily he didnt check what the resale value was before he did them me at £50quid a wheel including nearly new yokohama tyres)

but i had ago in a VXR yesterday and i thought it was quite uncomfy, but i am tall and a bit stocky so the racing seats wernt exactly built with me in mind lol

Thank Post
    If you want a car that can go straight in a fast line, and not around corners then go for a VXR

Renault sport Clio 197 - Great car's, not as fast as the vxr but once you get to the twisty bits you will leave them for dust and in fact you will leave most cars in that price range for dust.

Great brakes (312 brembos on front) The FF (full fat) version has a slightly higher ride height than the cup version, but its still a great car and lots of feedback whist giving it the beans (on a track)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12