+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 goes PPV. in General; Yes, it's almost true. From 2012 the BBC will be showing only HALF the races live. Thankfully those will include ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries

F1 goes PPV.

Yes, it's almost true. From 2012 the BBC will be showing only HALF the races live. Thankfully those will include the first and lace races, Monaco and Silverstone but that's besides the point. If you're anything of a fan you're expected to fork out for Sky Sports.

Sod that. Sod the BBC, especially as they've been pulling in record viewing figures this year. Nnnnngh!

2. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

speckytecky (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Where did you hear that? can't see a thing about it on F1 Fanatic or their forum

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Where did you hear that? can't see a thing about it on F1 Fanatic or their forum
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

5. Thanks to PeteW from:

Jamman960 (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dam Well i have sky sports so no issue unless it go to real ppv i.e pay per race. Saying that I am sure lot more people will use other means to watch the race. Now I wonder what contract Martin and other guys have will Martin move over to Sky...

Russ

Thank Post
    But fear not. When they aren't showing F1, we will be able to watch live Super League Tidliwinks.

Thank Post
    Well that's just peachy, isn't it?

Let's have a look at that quote shall we? (In an uninformed, angrily off the cuff kind of way, of course...)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Slater
    We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.
    It's not really though, is it. It's lodging part-time with the Beeb.

The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.
    A fact that I bet Sky love. Lets nick all the viewers that are hooked and make 'em pay for it!

With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.
    Not quite 'all' the action though, is it? Highlights are not the same as watching the full race. You don't get the atmosphere, the development of the race - the tension and excitement are lost when edited.

I'm pretty disappointed with this announcement. I can see why it's been agreed (costs and what have you), but it's going to reduce the amount of access and enjoyment I can get from F1. Personally, if I had access to Sky Sports, all I'd watch is the F1. If there's only one race in a given month (rare, but it happens), I'd be paying a lot to see that race and that's money I can't afford.

But then, if the BBC can't afford the F1, how can I expect to?

Thank Post
    The BBC is a joke sometimes, they wouldnt show just 45 minutes of a football match.
    They are saying they are saving money but I bet the same amount of money has been generated with sky paying what the BBC didn't to get the whole lot.

I don't see all the presenters/commentators going to sky so there coverage is going to rubbish.

The BBC should just launch a sports channel where f1, football and other minority sports can get a fair showcase.

Thank Post
    I have sky and pay for skysports1 only, the one channel costs me like £6 a month which im happy with as i get to see alot of premeriship football and now the formula1 aswell. the worst thing about the BBC coverage is the commentary team so hopefully it will change for when sky show it.

Just hope it is actually shown on SS1 and not SS3 or 4 which are the "lesser" channels :P

Thank Post
    I'm shocked and horrified by this. Guess I'll be finding something else to occupy a few hours on Sundays from next year.

Thank Post
    Will they also be doing what ITV used to, i.e. putting in adverts during the race including on one occasion four laps from the end?

I don't have Sky and can't see me forking out for it either.

Thank Post
    Do sky show adverts during sports coverage? haven't bothered with sky sports before now, also do they generally stick each sport on a specific channel or would they alternate between ss1&2? the sports pack is an extra £20 if both are needed by the looks of it and I'm guessing that if you don't already have the HD pack you'll need that also if you want it in HD... another £10

so all in all around £40-50/mo minimum argh! - think I'll be hunting for live streams or other "alternative" options next year unless the wife agrees to renew sky and the extra charges - I'd better get her a good birthday present first lol
    Last edited by Jamman960; 29th July 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Thank Post
    They have adverts during the Cricket (but done between overs etc), but not during a football match.
    I can see F1 being on SSP2-4 at times, as there will be a clash at least on Sundays with their "Super Sunday" football.
    They may move Soccer AM and Soccer Saturday to other channels so that Qualy is on SSP1... but it depends on what Sky see as their larger fanbase, Football or F1
    Last edited by Hawkeyez; 29th July 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Yes, it's almost true. From 2012 the BBC will be showing only HALF the races live. Thankfully those will include the first and lace races, Monaco and Silverstone but that's besides the point. If you're anything of a fan you're expected to fork out for Sky Sports.

Sod that. Sod the BBC, especially as they've been pulling in record viewing figures this year. Nnnnngh!
    Monaco is one of the dullest GPs.

Just another reason for me to follow the advice of a well known kids show in the 80's.

"Why don't you just switch off your TV set, and do something less boring instead."

Thank Post
    Show all of it or none of it you dopes. Worst decision ever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Show all of it or none of it you dopes. Worst decision ever.
    Fear not, your TV tax will now fund even more re-runs of Homes under the home and other property ramping tosh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast