+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 goes PPV. in General; Originally Posted by nephilim Get rid of crap tv and over paid actors - wipe out eastenders and they will ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Get rid of crap tv and over paid actors - wipe out eastenders and they will save enough money to pay for the F1
    just get rid of the gold/wimbledon thats like watching paint dry and esp wimbledon coverage 3 channels at once at point was way overkill

Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    They could look at some of the other tripe they show and fund, rather than something that brings in millions of viewers each episode/show. How's about axing BBC4? I still have no idea what that channel does as it's never got anything on worth showing> Why not combine BBC3 and BBC4 into one channel and have it air all day?
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    I'm with localzuk on this. BBC is a service. Look what happens when the lowest common denominator is catered for. ITV1. Yes, it has its place. I can't think where, but I'm being kind.
    BBC is going to end up like itv a waste of space there are 2 programs on all itv channels i watch btcc and tv burp thats it. get rid of f1 and what do i watch on bbc dr who odd documentaries and torchwood.

Making the lottery pay something/more for their prime time tv coverage would be a good start

i refuse to give phone hackers inc any money to watch yv its a lot of money for on average one event every 3 weeks as i dont want football/rugby/cricket

Thank Post
    I'm sure I heard some comment at one point about Bernie wanting to keep F1 free to air. I guess this is the best compromise they could come up with.

If this is how it's going to be, I think I'm going to start watching BBC3's highlights shows on a Sunday evening, as well as the races, just to get myself used to it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Then they wonder why Movie / Game / TV piracy is ripe on the internet.......Duuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr.

Then they wonder why apps for mobile phones and such took off - because they cost a few quid. People don't mind paying that. I bet if they charged say 3 to watch the race people would pay it - I would and I'm a real tight ar5e.

4. Thanks to mattx from:

nephilim (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I bet if they charged say 3 to watch the race people would pay it - I would and I'm a real tight ar5e.
    I wouldn't but then again I don't pay for Sky Box Office movies. I refuse to pay (my mother pays it but let's not split hairs here) anything other than basic subscription costs and TBH I think some of the crap that's on Sky, I don't even think that the basic costs are really worth it anymore. When I move into my own house, I very much doubt I'll actually bother with a TV anymore, except for using it for DVDs and as a huge computer monitor.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thing is why should we pay for something that was on free to air TV for the last however long (as long as I remember).

Initially it was on BBC but Bernie didn't like that he was not making much from advertisement revenue*
    He then switched to ITV and after millions** of fans complained because of the adverts he switched it back to BBC
    He is now switching to sky to get more money in advertising revenue

* He takes a 40% cut of all advertising fees broadcast during qualifying and the race
    ** 3.8 million fans in the UK alone complained to the FIA and ITV about the race having adverts

Edit - I have access to German Satellite TV and as such don't have to worry about adverts as they are not shown during the program - however when they do show adverts they last like 10 minutes!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have Sky Sports for the speedway coverage and their commentators are utter garbage. Who hires the PR officer for one of the league's clubs as an expert and regular commentator? I expect the same to happen with their F1 coverage.

And adverts. More adverts. I like the BBC covering sport as you get no bloody adverts.

Thank Post
    ....and the problem with SKY adverts is that they go on for 5 mins sometimes - thats about 2.5 laps on some circuits.
    It was bad enough on ITV when the adverts came on - it's going to be complete and utter sh1te when SKY get it. It could be worse though - Virgin Media could get it....... Anything with Branson's involvement is just as bad.

Thank Post
    Just of interest, does anyone watch F1 on their 'mobile device' ?
    Can you actually see what's happening ?
    BTW - I almost bought an ipad yesterday - that will shock some of you.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    BTW - I almost bought an ipad yesterday - that will shock some of you.......
    Oh dear lord! The end of the world is nigh!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh dear lord! The end of the world is nigh!!
    It almost was for my wallet.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So an *entire channel* catering to different segments of the country should be scrapped to appease a single market? The entire budget of BBC4 is around 54m a year. If that is the sort of money that is being spent on F1 coverage, I'm glad they have come to this new agreement!
    Yup that was the cost of the F1, well maybe not exactly to the but i read something online that was basically scrap BBC4 or keep the F1 as they cost the same. Its not cheap you know and all the botox and makeup costs money for Jake

If they did less repeats on BBC3 that would free up space and time for the good stuff from BBC4, so im not saying just kill all the shows and the channel, kill off some of the junk from the main BBC channels and then use that sapce to move stuff around and then slash some of the random junk that gets pittance of viewers for something that gets many millions. Now we can do product placement in the UK TV sector the Beeb can bring some cash into that, so stop covering Jakes iPad in plastic and stickers to make it un-ipad like and let it be an iPad and charge Apple a fortune for it, or get an Android slate from Archos and stick Tweetdeck on it job done etc.... Good Product Placement could bring the beeb a lot of money back into the pot, get them in overalls like they did on ITV and have sponsors on them thus more money for the Beeb. Where there is a will there is a way

13. Thanks to john from:

DAZZD88 (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Think I may stick up my own Sat dish and point it to the Astra 19.2E - FREE feed [ ok not in HD ] but FREE. [ I think ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sky will not run adverts through the race...

No adverts during races on Sky - Yahoo! Eurosport

Thank Post
    Seems Bernie needs the cash rather than the free to air. Anyone else seen this gem? Bung sir? That'll do nicely!

Thank Post
    but surely less viewers means that teams are in a weaker position to renew/gain sponsorship so less money coming in that way as i cant see viewing figures going any way other than down so splashing vodaphone all over the car will reach less people so be worth less and sponsors may just leave entirely

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast