+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BT ordered to block pirate links in General; Originally Posted by Michael I'm not entirely sure why just the one torrent site is being targeted as there are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why just the one torrent site is being targeted as there are thousands of torrent sites out there. It just isn't logical thinking, unless they're that naive the world piracy HQ is all being done from one website. I really hope someone one day from the movie industry wakes up and reads these forums!
    It isn't a torrent site - its a usenet index site, so it is decentralised and easy to block. Also, it is a test case really, and now they have their victory there will be more such cases and more sites being blocked, but like a hydra, more will appear (much like the way the US and UK governments are attempting to fight terrorism too it seems).

And I wouln't hold my breath over the last part - the movie industry is controlled by people sitting in offices shouting orders at the people below. Those people below don't want to rock the boat, otherwise they'll be thrown overboard. Just look how long it took for a service like Spotify to appear! Companies have been trying to get such services off the ground for more than a decade, but due to a fundamental lack of understanding by the record companies, they were always impossible to create due to the massive fees demanded for each song played. It is only very recently that they have managed to get licenses that allow them to exist, and that was basically because one of the record companies bought the company!!

Thank Post
    £10 it pops up under a different name in a couple of weeks time.

Look at The Pirate Bay. How many times have they been raided, taken to court, jailed etc and their skull & crossbones are still flying. :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't a torrent site - its a usenet index site, so it is decentralised and easy to block.
    Well you could argue then that it's a torrent search engine if you like, but as soon as you block one URL you can create another and create a clone/mirror site many times. It will be an experiment with zero results. As you say, there's a fundamental mis-understanding how it all works and I think a combination of reducing prices and targetting the site owners (not ISPs) is how it should be done.

Thank Post
    It isn't a torrent site - its a usenet index site, so it is decentralised and easy to block. Also, it is a test case really, and now they have their victory there will be more such cases and more sites being blocked, but like a hydra, more will appear (much like the way the US and UK governments are attempting to fight terrorism too it seems).

And I wouln't hold my breath over the last part - the movie industry is controlled by people sitting in offices shouting orders at the people below. Those people below don't want to rock the boat, otherwise they'll be thrown overboard. Just look how long it took for a service like Spotify to appear! Companies have been trying to get such services off the ground for more than a decade, but due to a fundamental lack of understanding by the record companies, they were always impossible to create due to the massive fees demanded for each song played. It is only very recently that they have managed to get licenses that allow them to exist, and that was basically because one of the record companies bought the company!!
    You mention spotify but BBC News - Spotify sued over music streaming technology

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Ah, yeah, I was reading about that - that is the USA for you though. Any possible success ends up in court, as it will be infringing on someone's patent somewhere. The patent in question here is potentially flawed anyway, as it is pretty broad and obvious. I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't push for that patent to be scrubbed due to its broad definition.

ie. the patent describes what any person with any inkling of computing knowledge would do to build a centralised music service. Substitute 'film' and it would describe a film streaming service... Not to mention, prior art pretty much already existed, as I believe BT was working on something very similar around the time the patent was issued.

Thank Post
    My two thoughts are-

As with many things today education is the key - if people are taught that stealing is wrong (and movie piracy in all senses is stealing) then they won't steal (at least in an ideal world!).

and......

Yesterday I bought a pizza online from Dominos, it was simple and painless just dump in PayPal details and boom 15mins later the Pizza turned up - people like me want things to be simple and easy, going onto Amazon buying a DVD and waiting for it to turn up is one big pain and it takes time. Even most (legal) movie streaming services that I have used seem to want to know everything and anything about you before they even let you touch a film and even then you can't download it for use on any device you want as many times as you want.

So my real point is....Movie world take after Dominos and make things simple and easy to buy!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    As with many things today education is the key - if people are taught that stealing is wrong (and movie piracy in all senses is stealing) then they won't steal (at least in an ideal world!).
    To steal (verb) - Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

A digital file is a copy, not depriving the original of their own copy - it is therefore NOT theft. It is copyright infringement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To steal (verb) - Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

A digital file is a copy, not depriving the original of their own copy - it is therefore NOT theft. It is copyright infringement.
    so what you're saying is Indiana Jones didn't "steal" the artifact, he merely infringed it's copyright by leaving the bag of sand

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    so what you're saying is Indiana Jones didn't "steal" the artifact, he merely infringed it's copyright by leaving the bag of sand
    Everyone knows that he was not stealing it! It's a historical artefact and belongs in a museum!!!!!

Thank Post

Just using simple terms

and I guess if you want to look at it like that you did steal (maybe duplicate is a better word) it because the 0s and 1s that were once on the servers hard drive are now on the person who downloaded the file.
    This way just because something is digital it dosn't mean there something physical (to steal) somewhere along the line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just using simple terms

and I guess if you want to look at it like that you did steal (maybe duplicate is a better word) it because the 0s and 1s that were once on the servers hard drive are now on the person who downloaded the file.
    This way just because something is digital it dosn't mean there something physical (to steal) somewhere along the line.
    I think I agree more with localzuk on this. If your car is stolen, you no longer look out your window and see your car, it's gone, it is now in the possession of someone else. But if somebody came round and copied your car, then your car is still there, but there is now another copy of it (with same number plates) elsewhere. You are inconvenienced but not at a loss.
    Much in the same sense of the term ID theft. It's not technically theft as people won't now look at you and think "wow, he's gone, i don't know who this person is" it's more ID cloning or ID fraud.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just using simple terms

No, still wrong... If I go out and see someone waving their arm around and I duplicate that behaviour precisely, I have not suddenly stolen their arm waving. The 0s and 1s you talk of are still on the server exactly where they were before, except now there are 2 sets of them.

Its even difficult to say how much piracy actually loses the music/movie industry, as they use the overly simplistic method of '1 download = 1 lost sale', which is preposterous as every person you'll ever talk to who has pirated something will say that they wouldn't pay for it anyway, so no sale was lost.
    Last edited by localzuk; 29th July 2011 at 01:30 PM.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

MK-2 (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    dont get me wrong there always good and bad against site blocking by ISP, but things that should no question be defiante is the sites that sell or propmoste stuff that really wrong like child p0rn it makes me sick when you got people out there like that, it needs to be stopped and i think ISPs should block stuff like that without a doubt or even deny any form of access to it, the hosting companies should look into what they hosting too since it effects their image too but ones that host it themsleves should be arrested.

That my opuion on blocking for things like gambling or adult themed websites etc then it up to the home owner to block or not but there should a url block list provided in the router and category url submisson on the routers / modem routers by standard and should support wildcars so it makes it easier for everyone.

i have also noticed when things do get blocked, eventually the sites goes down and dont renew but the website blockers companys dont take this off their list unless it been asked to be looked into.

that my opuion sorry for slight off topic

Thank Post
    No, still wrong... If I go out and see someone waving their arm around and I duplicate that behaviour precisely, I have not suddenly stolen their arm waving. The 0s and 1s you talk of are still on the server exactly where they were before, except now their are 2 sets of them.
    To be totaly honist this is wayyy outa what I was thinking when I used the word steal
    Just using simple terms in referance to my education point - after all would you rather want to try and explain to a 5 year old what Copyright Infringement is or what stealing is?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be totaly honist this is wayyy outa what I was thinking when I used the word steal
    Just using simple terms in referance to my education point - after all would you rather want to try and explain to a 5 year old what Copyright Infringement is or what stealing is?
    That's where our education system falls down - we treat children like idiot and try to dupe them into believing things that aren't true instead of actually explaining things to them properly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast