+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Edugeek Rep in General; Hi I really don't think this site benefits from neg/positive rep. Surely then 'Thank You' for a post is enouh ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Edugeek Rep

Hi

I really don't think this site benefits from neg/positive rep. Surely then 'Thank You' for a post is enouh to show you are happy. If you are not happy then you don't give thanks.

Once again we see today a member receiving a negative rep for posting an anectode. Was there a need to give neg rep? There was no offensiveness in the post so what was the issue?

The anonymous nature of the rep system needs to go.Just my opinion. I k ow some people love their large rep but personally it doesn't bother me one jot whether I get positive or negative. The 'Thank You' that I sometimes get with a name is a lot nicer.Gareth

2. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

Netman (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    iPad formatting is bad.

Thank Post
    The problem is not negative reputation. The problem is people making posts wingeing about the fact they received negative reputation in the vain hope that others will then give them positive reputation in return.

5. 5 Thanks to RingOfFlame:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), GREED (28th July 2011), Netman (27th July 2011), Rawns (27th July 2011), SimpleSi (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For once I agree with RingOfFlame - we've had loads of these posts now - and I'm thinking that people should stop making them. Sure, if you get a neg rep for a post, but the person doesn't explain, post in that thread asking for them to come forward and explain why your post was seen negatively, but posting a general thread like this makes no sense. If you have an issue SPEAK TO AN ADMIN. Complaining about the rep system in public just annoys people.

I get neg repped all the time, as I seem to rub some people up the wrong way, but that's life - the rep system isn't damaging the site, it is just something there as a bit of fun. If it doesn't bother you one jot, then why post about it?

7. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), RingOfFlame (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also agree, i dont think its a bad thing. I bet it makes a few people think twice about what they post on here...

9. 2 Thanks to FN-GM:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), RingOfFlame (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As above with ringofflame and localzuk. As many people know if I rep I sign it, and either give a reason in the post or in a PM. Leave it as it is as it isn't harming.

Yes I may have posted about it but looking back, it doesnt affect me as a person.

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im with the last posts - if you have a problem with the way the site is working, please message the admins. The feature is there for that reason! Failing that, drop one of the Mods a PM.

If you get Negative rep'd, report the post and we will look into it.

This kind of discussion really shouldnt be going on in public, doesnt help with the professional image of EG.

13. 2 Thanks to TheScarfedOne:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), witch (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Flippin 'eck - seems that rattled some feathers. I take your points but @scarfacedone - calm down a little.

An opinion is what I posted. My opinion for discussion. Take it or leave it - or give me negative rep (that's fine).

Some people are so touchy :-)

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    As above with ringofflame and localzuk. As many people know if I rep I sign it, and either give a reason in the post or in a PM. Leave it as it is as it isn't harming.

Yes I may have posted about it but looking back, it doesnt affect me as a person.
    ROTFLMAO

Just seen my Rep!!!

Apple: Love it or hate it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TheScarfacedOne has made me think about what I posted. It is just my opinion. I dont think it benefits people to be negative. Ever. I like to be positive - albeit I fail miserably.Each to their own I guess. :-)Have a nice evening poeple.Gareth

17. 2 Thanks to garethedmondson:

Netman (27th July 2011), RingOfFlame (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talk about taking things out of context. Yes I got people to bump it up, so have others. Look at my more recent posts, yes I have moaned about beg rep, but when many people say its undeserved then Yeh, of course I won't be as happy chappy. You should be happy ring of flame as I agreed with your post which I think is a first. But hey you seem to want to annoy people so I shall leave it.

19. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The trouble is that people are always very, very quick to say something bad about something. The same people will be very slow, or just never actually bother to say if they are particularly happy with something.
    With reputation on a forum however that problem is quite easily solved. I'm sure I'm right in saying the majority of people give positive reputation or thanks (which is part of/adds to the rep system). This is a good thing surely, as it means to show we are grateful to each other for opinions, help and advice, or even to say thanks for the funny thing.

I posted not too long ago to show amusement that I'd received my first negative rep. Was it deserved? Not my place to say - it offended someone, it was their prerogative to do so. But it did make me look at that post again and ask myself why, which again is a good thing.

We can be thankful for some things - I can probably be thankful that the recently deleted AW thread was quickly removed because I know I'd have personally received a raft of negative reputation from it, purely because I know full well my feelings on the matter as a parent are very strong and I made that more than clear.

I will however agree that perhaps the anonymous side of reputation is maybe not a good side of it. I do agree with it on the more random forums that have a huge mix of young and old, however on a forum such as this where we are generally far more grown up about things, perhaps it might be worth a shot. Are we likely to go on a revenge trip for the sake of a negated post?

21. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    The problem is that the system is used for silly purposes, take any apple thread as an example. People seem to neg rep people just because they don't agree with something, not because its offensive or its factually incorrect.

Personally, I couldn't care less about pos/neg rep.

23. 2 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), RingOfFlame (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Personally, I couldn't care less about pos/neg rep.
    I suppose take it with a pinch of salt, you can't please 100% of people 100% of the time. If people feel the urge to neg rep, upto them. There isn't anything you can do about it, as long as you havent gone out of your way to say something controversial and you've put forward your honest thoughts and beliefs there isnt anymore you can do than that.

25. Thanks to RTFM from:

Thank Post
    I guess it's generally because if you get +rep you can see that someone has found your post useful/interesting/funny... If you get -rep but with no reason you dont know if it is because your information was wrong/rude or if someone just didn't agree with what you said. I dont see the point in -rep for disagreeing with someone as everyone has their own opinion.

If you get a reason why any rep (+/-)has been given then it is much more constructive.

27. 2 Thanks to penfold:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), TheScarfedOne (27th July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast