+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Starting a food journey...join me :) in General; nephilimsfoodjourney | Just another WordPress.com site < thats the link to my "food journey", as I will be going out ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries

Starting a food journey...join me :)

nephilimsfoodjourney | Just another WordPress.com site < thats the link to my "food journey", as I will be going out and about more often, I will have the chance to explore more local restaurants and what have you and will soon branch further afield. Join me on a voyage of discovery about the "local" restaurants who use local products in their own way

2. 2 Thanks to nephilim:

garethedmondson (27th July 2011), Rawns (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great! Will keep an eye, however I can't help but think of that Simpsons episode where Homer becomes a food "critic"

(Not comparing you to homer btw!)

4. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

nephilim (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No I will critique food as I see fit (if you look at the bit about the lamb...my god one piece felt like I was eating a tyre! lol)...I will dish out criticisms as applicable

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    also I will accept requests to critique restaurants within 20 miles of dunstable

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Go to one of these pubs

Choose your King Henry's Tavern

They do great steak meals at a great price as well. I normally go to the old red lion in Welham which is out Leicester way

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

36Degrees (27th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Want Far Eastern food? Well, there's Bury Park, I'm sure you'll have a fine selection there. The food is nice though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lmao, actually bury park has a few decent restaurants off the main road and I don't mean the 20 chicken and chips places spaced within 150metres!!!

Thank Post
    The best job in the world - being a food critic! Eat food, say is shockingly bad and get paid.

Will you be reviewing local "dubious quality" venues like kebab houses and burger bars?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I use them, then yes. Only fair all companies I use for food get a fair crack at the whip

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Go to one of these pubs

Choose your King Henry's Tavern

They do great steak meals at a great price as well. I normally go to the old red lion in Welham which is out Leicester way
    I've just had a look at the menu and now I want to head towards Leicester rather than home right now to get a steak!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One comment on the blog so far and here it is

This is the problem with blogs on the internet. You are playing critic to points that don’t need raising. You have posted unnecessary information about your visit (‘however she said it was quite sickly and pushed her over the edge in terms of “fullness” and made her feel a bit bloated’ – well indeed. I’d imagine she would be full after attempting to eat a starter, a main, and a pudding, but I can’t see what bearing this has on the restaurant in question) but at the end of the day, it is your opinion and that cannot be argued.

What can be argued, however, is that fact that you have made a multitude of errors in your post. It is full of spelling mistakes, and grammatically incorrect sentences (some of which I had to read three or four times and still could not make sense of them). This post was quite frankly a terrible read. It took so much effort, and the end result was complete disappointment.
    I shall answer each point raised as follows - I assume its someone from here as I have only posted the link here

Firstly thank you for raising this, it allows me to better critique the food I am having. Granted I am not an official food critic, nor do I profess to be one, just a regular person who the restaurants do not know to be a critic, and it allows for fair comments on the food as no special attention has been made.

Next the IP Address used to make the comment is American, so yes you will think there are spelling mistakes when I using British English, add to the fact I am dyslexic and grammar along with spelling has never been my strong point (no contest here!)

Thirdly - the comment about the Mrs who said her pudding was sickly, well the courses prior to the pudding were not large portions, infact they were on the small side, and if a pudding is sickly to her and made her feel bloated, why not mention it? It has a bearing on the restaurant as it means they have produced a very rich pudding which can cause upset stomachs and bloatedness.

Thankyou for the comment whoever you were as it allows me to make a better one next time (which will be tonight/tomorrow depending on when I get back and how tired I am). Tonight it is an Indian restaurant in Luton called Papa J's (not to be confused with Papa Johns)

*EDIT*

I decided not to publish the comment btw. Also King Henry's tavern menu looks quite similar to a Hungry Horse menu and is a tad overpriced for what you are getting (The hungry horse near me does a special 26oz steak for £19 which includes all the trimmings - potatoes, chips, peas, tomatoes etc etc)
    Last edited by nephilim; 27th July 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Thank Post
    lol, I dont really understand the need to post that(the comment not your post @nephilim). I wouldn't expect a perfect written peice as (as far as I know) you are not a professinoal critic, nor claimed to be. But then I took it as a little tongue in cheek and you were just writing up your experiences in places while you were experiencing different foods around your area.

The article actually got me thinking that I would try and broaden my eating habbits at home by cooking food which I normally wouldn't. I used to do a kind of "Come Dine" with some friends a few years back where we made a bit of agreement that we would cook something we never have before but that faded away. Your post has actually rekindled my interest in broadening my cookery skills and someday maybe I'll post what I've cooked on here for others to see. Although after your response maybe I'll keep it to myself
    Last edited by penfold; 27th July 2011 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi NepGreat to see that mobile tablet Wordpress template being used. A friend of mine uses it as well and it really makes wordpress siteslook great on tablets - especially the ipad here.Only problem I have is - there are no reviews. Only an 'About' page. I'll try the normal template.Anyhow - good luck with your journey. I look forward to reading the reviews.

Whoops - my bad. It does work. I've had too much wine.

Gareth
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 27th July 2011 at 09:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha dont worry Gareth, I wanted it to be able to be read on mobiles as well as laptops, tablets etc so people on the go in my area can see my reviews and know (in my opinion) where is good to eat

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    next post is up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast