+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The past, the present and the future... in General; Originally Posted by localzuk Ok, well, I can see that I should've asked this question at a meeting of 'depression ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, well, I can see that I should've asked this question at a meeting of 'depression anonymous'... I might've got cheerier answers!

I was thinking we may start planning something like a space elevator in the next 20 years, as graphene appears to be a possible solution to the material problems that exist with the concept.
    I would like to be the first person to commit suicide from the top of your space elevator please. There ya go, brought things back down to a nice depressed level...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Informational singularity, each of us with our own private noospheres, able to interlink and communicate with other's at will. Augmented reality will be commonplace through GAG displays (gloves and goggles) meaning that we can all walk around in our own customised bubble-reality (to a point). Whole new concepts of crime and communications, and quite possible with a generation on the way who will be as alien to us in their way of interacting with technology/extelligence as we are to the previous generation who struggle with google.

Add to that expert systems bordering on emergent property complexity, and that's where I think/hope it goes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Informational singularity, each of us with our own private noospheres, able to interlink and communicate with other's at will. Augmented reality will be commonplace through GAG displays (gloves and goggles) meaning that we can all walk around in our own customised bubble-reality (to a point). Whole new concepts of crime and communications, and quite possible with a generation on the way who will be as alien to us in their way of interacting with technology/extelligence as we are to the previous generation who struggle with google.

Add to that expert systems bordering on emergent property complexity, and that's where I think/hope it goes.
    Well I suppose that would make the adult websites quite interesting

Thank Post
    We think progress is fast but just think back a little further. When my Grandmother (died 1994) was born hardly anyone had a telephone, air travel was still a dream and motor cars were rare. Just consider how much changed in her lifetime

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I will be joining you in the wonderful age of 27 this year (In a few weeks in fact) I thought I'd add nanotechnology to the mix, which has a massive potential in medical science, I can see the first augmented human being trialled in the next 27 years, and perhaps the rise of of robots?

I want a pair of those OLED glasses though, would still have to use them to check students passwords though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From Douglas Adams The Salmon of Doubt

"
    I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that s invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    From Douglas Adams The Salmon of Doubt

"
    I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that s invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
    Oh jeepers, I'm 35, life is set to get pretty boring for me now then.............

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    there were a LOT of comments over on the register about this

Thank Post
    One things for sure, we will still be complaining

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    One things for sure, we will still be complaining
    Oh yes, in 27 years time teachers still won't be able to turn on a projector.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post

The future is already here - I know this because ... I didn't understand a word of that.

Thank Post
    I'm going to go with the option that Apes take over and humans become nothing but slaves.......

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    I'm going to go with the option that Apes take over and humans become nothing but slaves.......
    Now that would make a good film....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Now that would make a good film....
    I could get James Franco to star in it.........wait a second!

Actually, this raises a question, if 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' is based on Earth, where did Mark Wahlberg arrive from in the 2001 film 'Planet of the Apes'......in the 2001 film are they making out that there is another planet inhabited by humans who are at a similar technological point as us?

Intriguing!

Edit; just checked on IMDB and they use the sentence "an abrupt detour through a space time wormhole lands him on a strange planet where talking apes rule over the human race" so that could mean an alternate reality or anything......

Maybe the 2001 Planet of the Apes actually visited the 2011 "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".......actually i'm just confusing myself now.....

Off to lie down.
    Last edited by RTFM; 26th July 2011 at 03:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast