+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Save 5 lives in 5 minutes! Inspirational in General; Hi guys, Before you turn away - there is no money being asked for here! I organised a speaker to ...
    Thank Post

Save 5 lives in 5 minutes! Inspirational

Hi guys,

Before you turn away - there is no money being asked for here!

I organised a speaker to come along to my club last night and give a talk, all I can say is wow! As the title says, truly inspirational. The founder of this charity has been dealt 2 terminal, incurable lung diseases. She is making it her mission before she dies, to get an extra 10,000 people signed up to the organ donor list.

She is asking for no money, but literally 5 minutes of your time to help save 5 lives in the future! If you decide to do this, then please make sure you visit her website and follow the instructions. If you go direct to the transplant list, her tally does not increase! You still get directed to the official NHS site, but you must email her personally as that is the only way she can know numbers.

I know a good few people give blood. I personally may not be here if it wasn't for these people. My mum has had a liver transplant 5 years ago, she would not be here if it wasn't for people on the transplant donor list! This really does make a difference and will affect many lives. If she gets 10,000 people signed up - that is a potential 50,000 lives that can be given, changed or even prolonged (and that's not even counting family, friends that will benefit from extra time with a loved one).

No replies needed, just please have a peek at the site and if you want to save some lives, please sign up to the list. The way I see it, when I die i'll just sit in the ground rotting - or I can donate and saves some lives. I know other people will think differently, but i'm not really asking for a slagging match or any flame wars.

Cheers guys,

Ben

save5.org.uk

Would you take an organ if you needed one? Most of us would but only 28% of us have joined the online Organ Donor Register. More than 10,000 people in the UK currently need a transplant. Of these, 1,000 die each year that is 3 a day.

Save5 is all about asking people to register online or to check that if they have already registered their personal details are up to date so that in the event of death, their organs and tissue can potentially be used to Save5 other lives.

2. 2 Thanks to Ben_Stanton:

bodminman (4th December 2013), elsiegee40 (3rd October 2011)

Thank Post
    i have joined and notified

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    i have joined and notified
    Well done that man!

I think some people think about it, say they will do it and just never get around to it. I like to think of this post as a wee kick up the bum! Literally 5 minutes tapping at a keyboard. Even if you have signed up before, it's best to check your details. If you move, get married or change your name is screws the system. Double check your info.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    I signed up for the organ donor list when I changed the address on my driving licence (asked as part of the process). They can take whatever they want from me, and the missus only unchecked the option for them to take her eyes, they can have the rest.

Thank Post
    Done.

You're right, meant to do that before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I signed up for the organ donor list when I changed the address on my driving licence (asked as part of the process). They can take whatever they want from me, and the missus only unchecked the option for them to take her eyes, they can have the rest.
    The eyes seem to be a common one to be honest. Personally, I just think 'I' am gone when I die, so please help yourself to my body parts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Done.

You're right, meant to do that before.
    Nice one kmount - don't forget to let T know so she can up her total

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Stanton View Post
    The eyes seem to be a common one to be honest. Personally, I just think 'I' am gone when I die, so please help yourself to my body parts
    That was my thoughts exactly - if it will help someone then have it. But the OH's opinion is that her eyes are a big part of any person, and she'd like to take them with her - I can't fault her for this as I can see where she's coming from.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Stanton View Post
    Nice one kmount - don't forget to let T know so she can up her total

Cheers
    Have done, had a nice email back too which is always nice.

She sounds like a committed person to a good cause. Always happy to support that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think that an opt-out system needs implementing. So many people mean to sign up but never get round to it, and sadly good intentions aren't an adequate replacement for a heart or liver. If you don't want to donate, fine, say so; if it comes to it and you've never explicitly given your permission, and your family object, fine; but if we start working on the assumption that you're dead now, you don't need that bit, we'll save so many more lives.

I'd sign up now if I wasn't already registered, but it has reminded me to check my details as I don't think I updated them on my new address, so cheers.

Thank Post
    gah damn county has save5 as blocked because it is uncategorised (no1 in my county has visited it)...they best hurry up and fix it else I'm going to forget again :/

Thank Post
    Here you go Robz, this is from the front page;

Would you take a transplant if you needed one??

If you answer “yes” please register & Save5 other lives because one day someone might be saving your life – your mum's life or your child's life.

To date since starting Save5 an extra 2,017 people have now registered as organ donors.

My goal before I die is to get another 7,983 people to register so that I reach my target of 10,000.

If you would like to join Save5 follow steps below

1. First register - NHSBT - Organ Donation -
    2. Finally & Very Important - after registering come back to this site and click on the "Contact T. at Save5" button (just to the left on this page) - confirm your registration & let me have your postal address so that I can send you a Save5 badge. EMAIL ADDRESS save5[at]btinternet.com

Only when I have received your email can I then add your name to the growing number of people who want to help Save5 reach its target of 10,000 extra organ donors!! And please don't forget to tell your family that you have become an organ donor.

Thank you

T. Sandeman-Charles

14. Thanks to Ben_Stanton from:

Robz (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    done I've always meant to do that, thanks Ben.

Thank Post
    No, thank you Rob

Thank Post
    xkcd: Lego

saw this and thought of you guys.

(ps, i've been signed up ever since i got my motorcycle licence!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast