+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Dublin HO! in General; I'm finally going to somewhere I've always wanted to visit in October. 5 days in Dublin with the mussis. We ...

Thank Post

Smile Dublin HO!

I'm finally going to somewhere I've always wanted to visit in October. 5 days in Dublin with the mussis.

We will be hitting the Guinness Storehouse right up for a tour and a pint of the black stuff overlooking the city, but I'm looking for any suggestions in regards to what else to get up to while over there!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The old tourist trap of Temple Bar is worth a visit. St Stephens's Green is a very nice park. Dublin university is well worth a visit, holding the famous Book of Kells.
    O'Connell Street* and Grafton Street will wear out even the most tenacious of shopper.

*Look for the bullet holes in the buildings from the Dublin uprising- they're still there.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 26th July 2011 at 11:02 AM.

3. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Porterhouse, the best beer and the best pub in Dublin, far better beer than the Guiness and even then the Guiness is certainly better over there anyway They also do some pretty good pub food. There is one in the Temple Bar area and one down by the university. Go to the one in Temple Bar, go upstairs and try to snag seats by the big window area, great if you like people watching. As for the rest of the pubs in Temple Bar, good fun but expensive.
    Get one of the Day Rover bus tickets and it takes you on a loop round Dublin and you can hop on hop off at any of the sites.
    If there for 5 days, see if you can hire a car and get out into the countryside a bit, it's lovely. I also find their roadwork sign amusing, you'll see what I mean ;-)
    Last edited by teejay; 26th July 2011 at 11:05 AM.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I am going to Dublin in October for the first time aswell, weird! So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread aswell. If you are there on the 14th/15h then Tim Minchin is playing at Vicar Street. If your not easily offended then I strongly suggest you go. :-)

7. Thanks to arwen from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    My other half says the zoo there is a nice day out.

9. Thanks to strawberry from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    I am going to Dublin in October for the first time aswell, weird! So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread aswell. If you are there on the 14th/15h then Tim Minchin is playing at Vicar Street. If your not easily offended then I strongly suggest you go. :-)
    24th-28th unfortunatly.

Oh well, I'm sure there are a million other things to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    If you're offended by Tim Minchin you may have bigger problems....

Thank Post
    Ah Dublin, very possibly the worst city I have ever been too. Completely lost all of its culture, and could quite literally be any city in the world.

We went there years ago to watch the Foo's, and we (all 8 of us have agreed) couldn't wait to get back home. Every thing from start to finish was terrible, with exception to the Foo's.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Name:  50894129_125x125.png
Views: 10
Size:  6.7 KB

Thank Post
    keep an eye out on the following website for ideas/calendar (and free email address if you want)

Dublin.ie - Official portal website for the city of Dublin, Ireland

Dublin is a very congested city (and the standard of driving/roads is poor in general). Luas Line (tram), DART (overground) are alternatives to taxi or hire car. Air Coach is very good for travel to/from the airport.

Coaches to Dublin Airport , Bus Service to Dublin Airport

Other side of the river from the Guinness Storehouse is the Jameson Distillery which also has tours.

A quick tour of Trinity College is nice; have a pint in Doyle's Bar. Trinity is situated between O'Connell St and Grafton St (shopping) and not far from Temple Bar (dropping). A good tourist info centre in Suffolk St which is near Trinity. Top of Grafton St there's St Stephen's Park if you just want to sit and laze a while.

Phoenix Park is worth a wander - lots of deer, sports, the old Magazine Fort, the Wellington Monument as well as Dublin Zoo. Collins Barracks is a good museum if you're into armed forces and it's free.

The Viking Museum is worth a visit

Dublinia - Viking & Medieval Dublin - History Exhibitions Dublin

If you're into sport, Croke Park and Lansdowne Road (Aviva Stadium) do tours. Croke has a museum that's worth a visit.

The Viking Splash Tour is a bit daft but will drive you around Dublin and a bit on the water in an old WW2 amphibious DUKW. Open Top Bus Tours available.

1916 Walking Tour will point out some the history/landmarks re the Easter Rising.

Lots of pubs, golf courses, race tracks etc

Leeson St has a few night clubs. Expensive and not that good.

15. Thanks to jdoyle from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    If you're flying in, a nice tip is to get the aircoach, not the air bus. The coach is air conditioned, has free wifi, and is very comfy, and only stops once between the airport and o'connell street, then next stop, trinity college. It's 1 euro more each way but well worth it.
    The return is cheaper than single too and it's open so make sure you get return. You can catch it right outside arrivals at either terminal.
    Porter house is a brewer not a single pub, which is why there are a couple, i think i spotted 3.
    The Italian corner at the bottom of temple bar on the liffey is a decent place to eat, and as mentioned, the zoo is quite cool too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread