+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Flying Ants in General; They are supposed to synchronise their take-off and ours are just launching themselves. Anyne else got them?...

Thank Post

Flying Ants

They are supposed to synchronise their take-off and ours are just launching themselves. Anyne else got them?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We don't have them here.

There is from Wikipedia:

...This phenomenon occurs in many colonies simultaneously when the local weather conditions are appropriate, to reduce the effectiveness of predation and to ensure that the queens and males from different colonies stand a chance of meeting and interbreeding. It therefore has the appearance of being a 'timed' event or that the ants somehow communicate. However neither of these is likely to be the case - it is simply a common response to temperature, humidity and windspeed and time of year...
    Link: Nuptial flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    we had ours about 3 weeks ago in mid-sussex

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    In Kent ours were about a fortnight ago. It's always a humid evening and I spend the next couple of days being liberal with the ant powder dissuading them from moving into the house

Thank Post
    You should see them under my greenhouse! Little oiks.

I do admire their efficiency and intelligence. Last year I killed off a lot using a jam jar half filled with a mix of water and Marmalade. They drowned by the hundreds. This year not one has drowned. I also used some of the Nippon powder, ant traps and artificial sweetener last year. Non have worked so far. In truth, they didn't even attack my crops, so I was being an evil sod for no reason.

Therefore I have decided to make peace with them, and focus my energy on getting Snails drunk instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    don't get me started with ants. we've been fighting a long battle with red ants. all the advice on the internet says "apart from a nasty bite they are harmless, leave them" which is great advice when half the grass is covered in them and they are now marching towards the house and living under the patio.
    its like saying "own a pet tiger, apart from the chance of sudden mutilation, they are fine".

i used some ant!stop granules which killed off hundreds of black ants, but the red ones just had no effect!
    i've boiled quite a lot of flying red ants trying to make their way out of the lawn into the air, buggered if im going to let them land somewhere else in the garden and start again!

Thank Post
    Yep, around 6pm yesterday.

Thank Post
    Just got home to find 1000s of ants getting jiggy all around the border of my greenhouse.

My Tommies et al will have to wait until later for their evening drink. Don't fancy being coated in them.

For those of you wondering what the rest of us are on about - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-10711280
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 25th July 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Horrible little things. A couple of years ago we suddenly had an army of these crawling around the kitchen floor and in the cupboard under the stairs, but never saw them flying. That took a LOT of powder to get rid of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Our flying ant day in Dorset was about three weeks ago. They were all over the patio but when I went back and looked about 6 hours later they were all gone - leaving behind a few ants who really aren't much trouble at all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found that if I leave a small blob of Jam once every 3 or 4 days (by small blob I mean less than half a teaspoon) and mix it with ant powder the colony of ants die out within 3 weeks and I do it when first I see the ants

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    got home last night, saw a few hundred ants (flying and normal) on our lawn. doused them all with hot water and thought that was it. an hour later we went outside and the whole lawn was crawling in them, it was like ant mist!
    couldn't keep boiling kettle so just doused them all in cold water instead to stop them flying off everywhere. took about an hour to get them under control.
    we are now having to look at the possibility of ripping up our lawn and patio as there is at least 1 red ant nest under there somewhere and they are moving towards the house.....and rentokil were absolutely useless, saying nothing at all they could do to kill red ants

Thank Post
    Trouble is, if you kill them you are depriving the birds of a good meal!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Trouble is, if you kill them you are depriving the birds of a good meal!
    trouble is if i dont, we cannot walk on or near our lawn as the red ones bite and sting, black ants i dont mind so much!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    got home last night, saw a few hundred ants (flying and normal) on our lawn. doused them all with hot water and thought that was it. an hour later we went outside and the whole lawn was crawling in them, it was like ant mist!
    couldn't keep boiling kettle so just doused them all in cold water instead to stop them flying off everywhere. took about an hour to get them under control.
    we are now having to look at the possibility of ripping up our lawn and patio as there is at least 1 red ant nest under there somewhere and they are moving towards the house.....and rentokil were absolutely useless, saying nothing at all they could do to kill red ants
    Sounds like you have more than 1 nest. If your neighbours also have nests then I wouldn't spend lots of money digging your garden up as they'll just return.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast