+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Flying Ants in General; HI I got home last night and there were hundreds of flying ant all over one side of the green ...
    Thank Post
    HI

I got home last night and there were hundreds of flying ant all over one side of the green house. I covered then with ant powered. I think it must be the hot weather,

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Sounds like you have more than 1 nest. If your neighbours also have nests then I wouldn't spend lots of money digging your garden up as they'll just return.
    but if we do nothing, we have a garden that is totally unusable during summer months as you can't even walk down the pathway without risk of disturbing them.
    i was thinking more of digging down a bit then putting slabs or stuff along the sides of the lawn, so its more difficult for them to get back in if they are in other gardens

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    we are now having to look at the possibility of ripping up our lawn and patio as there is at least 1 red ant nest under there somewhere and they are moving towards the house.....and rentokil were absolutely useless, saying nothing at all they could do to kill red ants
    There is very little you can do and any practicable longer term solution involves changing the local conditions (either to constantly wet or ... concrete/rubble). If you rip up your lawn and patio and re-lay, they will just re-colonise. Might take them a couple of years but if they like the conditions now, they will be back. They are very unlikely to move into the house because they don't actually like the conditions under a house and there are few food sources (assuming you don't leave crumbs or half eaten burgers) around. Occasionally ants will find an entry and forage into a house - only usual if it's direct into a kitchen and they have a relatively short route to a food source. They can be easily dealt with by finding the entry point (follow the line the ants are taking) and blocking it.

Waging war on ants is a mugs game - there are billions of them and one of you. They are not particularly destructive - they can be quite beneficial for soil (mixing and aerating) and are sometimes a good indication of wrong conditions for plants (if you have ants in pots, then you are probably not watering enough). Learn to live with them - at least in the garden and save your money and energy for better things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I've mentioned before - dry polenta/semonlina is your friend here. As it is ideal food for them, they collect it and deliver it to the queen, who eats it and then explodes as it expands inside her.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    There is very little you can do and any practicable longer term solution involves changing the local conditions (either to constantly wet or ... concrete/rubble). If you rip up your lawn and patio and re-lay, they will just re-colonise. Might take them a couple of years but if they like the conditions now, they will be back. They are very unlikely to move into the house because they don't actually like the conditions under a house and there are few food sources (assuming you don't leave crumbs or half eaten burgers) around. Occasionally ants will find an entry and forage into a house - only usual if it's direct into a kitchen and they have a relatively short route to a food source. They can be easily dealt with by finding the entry point (follow the line the ants are taking) and blocking it.

Waging war on ants is a mugs game - there are billions of them and one of you. They are not particularly destructive - they can be quite beneficial for soil (mixing and aerating) and are sometimes a good indication of wrong conditions for plants (if you have ants in pots, then you are probably not watering enough). Learn to live with them - at least in the garden and save your money and energy for better things.
    see this is what i keep reading, and had it been black ants i'd kind of agree. but these are red ants, they bite and sting which causes a fair deal of pain from just one bite, there is no "learning to live with them".
    it would be like saying i have six tigers in the back garden....well they are good for keeping pests away, learn to live with them. these ants are a danger, it means i cannot walk in the garden (with or without shoes) for fear of disturbing a nest and being bitten countless times. we have to be on guard when hanging washing out as it means walking on the grass. it also means we would have no chance of having kids play out there as its too dangerous to run around on the grass.

@localzuk does that work with red ants? as ive read red ants are can be more carniverous at times so dont get attracted to the sweet stuff like black ants

Thank Post
    Another deterrent (deter-ant - ) is talcum/baby powder put around the hole. Not only is it cheap and non-toxic but it just makes them move away, we figure they don't like it sticking to their feet. Also in our case it give the house a fresh baby aroma.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    does that work with red ants? as ive read red ants are can be more carniverous at times so dont get attracted to the sweet stuff like black ants
    I've never tried it with red ants myself, only normal ones, but from what I've read, yes it does - no ant will pass up a free meal really.

Thank Post
    see this is what i keep reading, and had it been black ants i'd kind of agree. but these are red ants, they bite and sting which causes a fair deal of pain from just one bite, there is no "learning to live with them".
    it would be like saying i have six tigers in the back garden....well they are good for keeping pests away, learn to live with them. these ants are a danger, it means i cannot walk in the garden (with or without shoes) for fear of disturbing a nest and being bitten countless times. we have to be on guard when hanging washing out as it means walking on the grass. it also means we would have no chance of having kids play out there as its too dangerous to run around on the grass.
    You must be particularly sensitive or attractive to ants; or perhaps you have just annoyed them too much! I have red and black ants in the garden - most times I dig, I hit a nest. They nest in the grass, under the patio, in the greenhouse , in plant pots when they get the chance. They don't seem to swarm all over the place and comparing them to man eating tigers seems a bit ... err ... loony. I'm quite sensitive to insect bites (not dangerously allergic but bites swell up to golf ball sized lumps) but red ants don't seem to be particularly aggressive.

You could try Borax mixed with Jam (1/20 mix borax to jam) , place in strategic places in jam jars and they will take it back to the nest. But it's toxic to pets and children.
    Hot water mixed with detergent or an insecticide (something like 'poultry shield' should be quite effective) - target red ant nests but don't target black ant nests at all. In fact if you can, encourage black ants to take the territory rather than read ants). Diatoms might discourage them a bit if used under paving - but again it comes with a toxicity warning. If you are going to start ripping up patios and paving, put an impervious liner 6-12in down, cupped up at the extremes like a subterranean pond. This probably won't be good for the paving in the long term, but ants don't like wet or damp areas, so anything you can do to retain moisture will discourage them.

To be honest though, if you are that bothered by them then your only real choice is to either concrete over your garden, turn it into a wetland or perhaps very deep gravel, or move. They are well adapted to their task of colonising and if you have conditions they like, they will come. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that's just how it is.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have been given an electronic device that is supposed to deter all kinds of pests. You plug it in and leave it. We haven't tested it yet but perhaps someone here could comment on its suitability for deterring ant and red ants in particular?

Thank Post
    i was thinking more of digging down a bit then putting slabs or stuff along the sides of the lawn, so its more difficult for them to get back in if they are in other gardens
    Err, those big flying ones, they be queens. Queens (and other royal pests) can be discouraged by strategic placement of papperatzi.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Err, those big flying ones, they be queens. Queens (and other royal pests) can be discouraged by strategic placement of papperatzi.
    Not all of them - they are a mix of male and female.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    KILL THEM, KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!

(yes i have a small issue with ants..)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    KILL THEM, KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!

(yes i have a small issue with ants..)
    Ah, murderous rage... must be the iphone making you that angry

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    This is really weird -just been outside and we have more flying ants - just in the last hour. I don't think I have ever seen more than one flying ant day- especially separated by several weeks - has anyone else?

Thank Post
    Mmm, we had them last night too...mildly annoying, they were disturbing my contemplation of life while watching my eco-lawnmowers working (rabbit and guinea pig).

I thought little of it until I realised one patch of short grass was heaving with them. Took a wander in the house, brought out Roomba, set up a perimeter round the affected patch and left Roomba to it. Good fun with a technical bent to it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast