+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Excellent tech support conversation I had today / getting Kies to work in General; Cool story, Bro. It always makes me smile when a tech has to phone tech support. It usually shows just ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cool story, Bro.

It always makes me smile when a tech has to phone tech support. It usually shows just how little some of these people actually know.

Thank Post
    @sted - this is on a new 16Gb phone, works well. That is to say, once I deselected the entire school diary and just sync'd my personal diary (oops). I did see references to a similar problem elsewhere so I don't think you're alone with this. Why not call your phone company? ;-)

@Domino - no Exchange here, sadly.

@X-13 - the feeling of dread and resignation as your hand lifts the receiver to call the number . . .

Will probably experiment with Google.

One thing that's come to light here over the last couple of months (there's been a crop of new phones here) is how painful syncing seems to have become. HTC and Samsung Android apps will sync with Outlook, but only contacts and diary, not tasks, and Windows Mobile now seems to want either OneNote or the cloud in order to do what the last version did using ActiveSync. Expected more by now . . . .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    @sted - this is on a new 16Gb phone, works well. That is to say, once I deselected the entire school diary and just sync'd my personal diary (oops). I did see references to a similar problem elsewhere so I don't think you're alone with this. Why not call your phone company? ;-)
    because its a cheap payg android to replace a nokia thats still on contract till september i coudlnt live with any longer. ts not really an issue its quicker to take the card out and shove it in my pcs reader to write files to it adn i just use gmail/calendar now so no issues and never have to connect it to the pc (its also running a non stock rom these days to get android 2.2 nd havnt needed to try it since)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Educational ISP (not an RBC/LA) was bought up by successive companies and eventually was with a large business telco. We had a number of PI-IP addresses (3x /24 subnets ... long story) and one was not working ... and it was one we had a number of public servers on.

Me : Can I check that you are routing some IPs as we seem to have lost external access to some of servers?
    ISP : I'm sorry but we don't do your DNS.
    Me: I know ... we do, but our DNS is working and people outside say there is a black hole in your network where stuff is disappearing.
    ISP : No, we have no problems at the moment.
    Me : Can you see if you can trace to any of the following addresses? (give 4 example IPs)
    ISP : Yes, I can see those fine.
    Me : (looking at the firewall UI) Erm, how did you check?
    ISP : I did an NSLookup and I get the following response (details of the lookup).
    Me : But can you contact those IPs?
    ISP : yes
    Me : (looking at firewall UI) Really?
    ISP : Oh yes.
    Me : Can you try accessing this server then? (gives an example BBC IP)
    ISP : Oh, but that is not yours though.
    Me : But can you see it?
    ISP : Yes, but it tells me it is the BBC.
    Me : Can you read me the first few lines on the website then?
    ISP : (reads the NSLookup response)
    Me : Ah, perhaps we scan test something else. How about you type the following? (instructions on tracert)
    ISP : Oh, that gives me some strange lines ... lots of stars.
    Me : Oh, in that case your network must be broken somewhere. I might have broken it ... it would be best if you pass me onto someone in second line so I can apologise and get them to fix it.
    ISP : And you are happy to say it was your fault?
    Me : Oh yes ...

2nd line : What's this about you saying you have broken our network? Is this a wind up?
    Me: (brief run down of previous conversation)
    2nd Line : oh ***********
    Me : Yes.
    2nd Line : It looks like someone has screwed up and allocated your range to a MAN somewhere and there is a firewall that is blocking the tracert. One second.
    Me : (listens to power ballads, singing along)
    2nd Line : You know that we can here you singing and sometimes record the bad ones for a laugh?
    Me : oh ... erm ... was it that bad?
    2nd line : You are now track number 3 on our all time favourites.
    Me : Bugger
    2nd Line : yep, turns round one of bright spark engineers did a typo and has been trying to force your traffic to route to $LargeChemicalCompany over their private network. We'll clear it tonight and call in the morning.
    Me: Thanks ...

(Next Day)
    2nd Line : Seems to be sorted.
    Me: yep, all happy now ... now, about that recording of me.
    2nd Line : Email is on it's way ... we have added a backing track.
    Me : So if I tried to blackmail you by complaining because you have numpty 1st line as well as one of your engineers made the cock-up in the first place?
    2nd Line : What do you think?

So ... for all I know my dulcet tones are still part of the highlight of some engineer's day when listening back to how silly / stupid / dreadful some people sound when on the phone.
    And yes, I still have a copy ... and no, I have never played it to anyone else or told them it exists ... and people will *never* hear it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    One thing that's come to light here over the last couple of months (there's been a crop of new phones here) is how painful syncing seems to have become. HTC and Samsung Android apps will sync with Outlook, but only contacts and diary, not tasks, and Windows Mobile now seems to want either OneNote or the cloud in order to do what the last version did using ActiveSync. Expected more by now . . . .
    With all of the marketing departments, accountants and tech sheep screaming cloud at every possible opertunity what do you expect. We are just getting what the flock has been convinced it wants, how does it profit the big companies if you can do stuff yourself without having to go through them for everything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12