+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IPads for schools - The next step in General; Originally Posted by Max_Power Were testing the water with Ipads this coming year - were buying a class set to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Were testing the water with Ipads this coming year - were buying a class set to see how well teachers manage to intergrate them into the curriculum etc.
    Nice to see I'm not the only ones who likes dunking iPads in water :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Its a highly expensive mistake that will not be justified in the students results.

Here's a school that's has already done a 1:1 with iPod Touch, the resulting success stories in the video speak for themselves...These devices are making a significant impact everywhere

Learning Without Frontiers - Our Blog - Abdul Chohan, Essa Academy, LWF Talk, London*2011

Other

3. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

russdev (16th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As said lots of schools around world have gone down a touch screen device (be that Ipad or whatever) per student and they have been very successful. Sadly people look at this as one or the other instead of desktops, laptops and yes even Ipads all having there place. Again lots of good examples of where Ipad can improve teaching and learning..

So first we have what of waste of tax payers money so then schools get parents to pay hmm and people still not happy.. Then I do remember same conversation about laptops. Sadly people look for ways not to use equipment instead of looking for ways of using them.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 16th July 2011 at 05:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Abdul and co won the TES Schools award for ICT Innovation / Partnership last week as well (beating Northants BLT and Saltash.net in the process) and whilst all projects have their issues when they are starting up (for things like this usually around wireless, etc) it was well planned into the curriculum and made a difference.

To be honest, it is not so much an 'iPads are the solution' thing ... if you are thinking about this then try substituting the word tablet for iPad. The concepts involved are generally the same within their educational use ... and yes ... I do know there is a massive difference when it comes to the technical delivery and support ... but that is like any other technology ... there will always be problems to overcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest, it is not so much an 'iPads are the solution' thing ... if you are thinking about this then try substituting the word tablet for iPad. The concepts involved are generally the same within their educational use ... and yes ... I do know there is a massive difference when it comes to the technical delivery and support ... but that is like any other technology ... there will always be problems to overcome.
    Good advice there, you will get a lot less people trying to deprogram you (rightly or wrongly) if you use generic terms rather than the brand heavy versions and it will also allow you to pick the best solution rather than getting hung up on a specific course of action from the start and not being able to consider all the alternatives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As with all stories of this type it depends on whether the conversations was:

a) "We would like to be able to do X, Y and Z, iPads will acheive this"
    b) "Let's get iPads! Right what are we going to use them for?"

Unless we know that, criticism of the school based on that article isn't really fair.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    Here's a school that's has already done a 1:1 with iPod Touch, the resulting success stories in the video speak for themselves...These devices are making a significant impact everywhere

Learning Without Frontiers - Our Blog - Abdul Chohan, Essa Academy, LWF Talk, London*2011

Other
    Your signature suggests you have a vested interest.

Thank Post

all looks good at the start.......

When the devices are new, and the man hours have been put in configuring them etc, they look really good. However if you have a look 6 or 12 months down the line it is a different story....

I have seen and heard the resulting chaos in schools that have won 'AWARDS' for their 'innovation'....

10. Thanks to farmerste from:

Butuz (18th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I've known schools which have gone down the "one netbook per child" route in the past. It caused them no end of hassles - no payment from the parents, loss, damage, theft, forgotten to charge them, broken chargers, issues with warranties not fixing malicious damage, arguments over who will foot the bill, and extra man hours needed to process all this.

Yes, they're a great idea but British schoolchildren aren't mature or responsible enough to look after them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I've known schools which have gone down the "one netbook per child" route in the past. It caused them no end of hassles - no payment from the parents, loss, damage, theft, forgotten to charge them, broken chargers, issues with warranties not fixing malicious damage, arguments over who will foot the bill, and extra man hours needed to process all this.

Yes, they're a great idea but British schoolchildren aren't mature or responsible enough to look after them.
    Wow a sweeping statement but based on thestudents in 10+ years that I have come across that is a very incorrect statement.

Maybe your students but not the whole population of the British schools. Many schools have one device per child and has worked in UK. The key to me is bring your own device where student owns the device like OP said with his project..

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 18th July 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thank Post
    I do find it frustrating that so few people are able to look beyond the iPad for these sort of things. We're introducing tablet devices for our sixth formers next year and after trialling and considering many options, we've gone for the Asus eee Pad Transformer. There are a mass of options out there now.

Thank Post
    So what happens at the end of the child's time at the particular school? I assume the school hands over ownership of the device to the parents?

Thank Post
    I would like to understand how schools who are trailblazing with handheld technology deal with long-term issues such as theft & repair; things like batteries, chargers, accidental & deliverate damage; what happens when a student leaves(especially if part-funded by parents)... & then what the schools plans are for replacing/renewing devices when they come to the end of their planned life & how this is all funded in an economic climate which suggests budgets are likely to be cut?

My worry with many of these innovations & worthy ideas is that the thinking does not go beyond the initial device purchase..... especially having suffered from this at my school in the past where 'someone' gave the school loads of equipment but no means of affording its upkeep.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People talk about trailblazing on Handheld Learning ... it is nothing new, it is just that some of the technologies to help make it happen has become cheaper, more consumer orientated (ie often making it easier for personal devices to be used) or more enterprise friendly.

Mobile learning has been around for even longer ...

The educational uses of such kit has also been researched many times before too.

Thank Post
    These devices, not just ipads but all the other varieties have the ability to transform our ways of thinking and working. Will they ever replace some established methods? Possibly not, only time will tell.

But you can't find out unless you try it first.

I have personally just made a change in my place. I showed the HT an alternative to the IWB+Projector setup, which will work out in the region of £1000 cheaper with more flexibility, using large sized TV's, and we're looking into Tablet solutions for the interactivity portion, likely Apple TV and ipad, since I've got 40 Ipads 1s in the school now.

Maybe the current Ipads aren't the ultimate answer, and maybe the system they are using isn't the best for paying/acquiring them. But revolutionary changes start somewhere. You have to make mistakes before you can learn from them, and regardless of the views, technology is here to stay, and our use of it within education will only increase.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast