+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Points on driving licence? in General; How long do speeding point stay on your driving licence for before they come off? I guess you also have ...
    Thank Post

Points on driving licence?

How long do speeding point stay on your driving licence for before they come off?

I guess you also have to send it back to the DVLA to get them removed it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Points on driving licence?

I believe that they stay active for 3 years (which means you have to declare them for insurance and the like) and then stay there for a further 2 years 'inactive' for courts to look at if you were to have further offences for driving. I believe you have to apply to the DVLA to have them made inactive.

So your best bet is to contact them and ask.

Thank Post

Most insurance companines will ask for 5 years claims & convictions history now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

yeah its 3 years on the actual licence, but you have to declare them to the insurance firm for 5 years, and don't think of cheating as they now seem to know in advance.

When I renewed mine, my dad had points on his licence and as i have my parents insured on my car when I gave my dads details over as an aditional drive they didnt even get to the part about convictions etc they said we see he has points for speeding (and then gave the details over for me to confirm) so I suspect the computers are starting to talk to each other.

Thank Post

Yep; that is why you can now tax your car on-line. MOT and insurance checked joined up computers.

Thank Post

Points are kept for three years.
    Exceptions are drink driving obviously
    If you have expired points on you licence, you have to pay to have them removed, unless you've moved.
    As for insurance companies, if you only have 3 points for speeding (unless under the age of 25 usually), they don't care.
    Any other points, they should be told about. If you're involved in an accident, and they investigate, and the points are for anything other than speeding, then the insurance company can claim that you've violated their conditions and therefore are not insured, but they only do that in more extreme cases.
    Bans, especially drink drive bans (including drunk in charge of) need to be informed for life, but as usual with the law, this can be circumvented, legally, by the low life scum that have been convicted of this offence.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I believe that they stay active for 3 years (which means you have to declare them for insurance and the like) and then stay there for a further 2 years 'inactive' for courts to look at if you were to have further offences for driving. I believe you have to apply to the DVLA to have them made inactive.

So your best bet is to contact them and ask.
    Your right about this localzuk but if you commit another offence within three years the points stay on your licence and all offences have to be declared to your insurer who will then sting you with even higher premiums.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok this is a strange one. the points stay active for 3 years but cannot be removed from your licence for 5 also you must declare all points to insurance for 5 years (just so they can rip you off a bit longer) and some new rules for you. if you get 6 point in the first 2 years of passing your test you get suspended and need to retake your test. also if you on a provisional you get suspended till you pass your test. the are some new rules in the pipeline as well. also in the last 10 years you dont get minibuss ect ect on the licance. This is a bit of a no brainer to be able to drive a minibus you need to take another test. My brother found this out when he got a job they asked for a clean licance and he had one but had only pass his test for 2 year and so did not have a minibus on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread