+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, UK Rail Tickets Are Losing Travellers Money And Need Redesigning? in General; Link: UK rail tickets are loosing travellers money and need redesigning | cxpartners I haven't used the train in ages. ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

UK Rail Tickets Are Losing Travellers Money And Need Redesigning?

Link: UK rail tickets are loosing travellers money and need redesigning | cxpartners

I haven't used the train in ages. However I do recall thinking something similar to that stated in the article:

...Splitting the ticket in two parts seems unnecessary. It increases printing costs for the train companies and causes confusion for the passengers. The two tickets actually repeat a lot of information...
    What are your thoughts? Does the author make a valid point/valid points?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    bang on the money there...i have been on a journey where 4 tickets were needed when 1 would have sufficed saying "Harlington to Portsmouth by any route at peak/any time" it is ridiculous to expect someone who rarely uses a train to know everything about the system

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    need to get rid of physical tickets completely where possible

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    need to get rid of physical tickets completely where possible
    Having used the e-ticket wallet from East Coast, its not worth the hassle, the software is fine but the code readers given to staff on the trains are a joke, took her the best part of 10 minutes to read it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    something along the lines of a mass oyster card system across the whole uk would be good - which you can simply scan at the station and then pay for where you want to go.

Thank Post
    Last train journey I did I got 13 tickets in total, 1 receipt, 6 train tickets and 6 seat reservation tickets just for one person travelling, it's crazy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely needs sorting. I've done trips on the rail system where I've ended up with 8 tickets and reservation cards, then my card receipt and a general receipt. It could've been reduced to 2 ticks - 1 out and 1 return, and then 1 receipt. The amount of money being wasted on tickets and printing must be huge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slightly of topic but for me to get a train into Manchester its cheaper for me to buy a return ticket than it is for 1 x one way. When i go into Manchester drinking i tend to get the train in and taxi home. So i buy a return ticket and dont use the other half as i dont need it. How does that make sense?

Also the same route it works out more expensive if i use my rail card....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Slightly of topic but for me to get a train into Manchester its cheaper for me to buy a return ticket than it is for 1 x one way. When i go into Manchester drinking i tend to get the train in and taxi home. So i buy a return ticket and dont use the other half as i dont need it. How does that make sense?

Also the same route it works out more expensive if i use my rail card....
    The pricing is bizare, was booking a train from Redditch to Manchester for a few weeks time and it was a good £5 cheaper to buy a ticket from Redditch to Stoke and then Stoke to Manchester staying on the same train than it is just buying a ticket to Manchester.

In the same vein we went to Prestatyn on the train in April and it was cheaper to get tickets from Birmingham International than from Birmingham New Street even though its a stop further and that is taking in to account the extra cost of us getting to International rather than New Street to catch it.

Thank Post
    Yep, it's a mess. Often down to how different companies control the pricing for a particular route or section of route, and which bits are subsidised by PTEs and councils.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One rumored trick for cheaper rail fares is to buy a single between each stop (individual tickets for A to B, B to C and C to D instead one ticket A to D). The downside is the train you use has to call at each of the stations you have tickets for.

Another trick was short stopping, buying a ticket for further away for a cheaper journey and stopping short of your destination (where a direct ticket is more expensive) but apparently that has been clamped down on.

And a national Oyster system would be a disaster. Some of the companies struggle as it is to run a decent service *Ahem*NXEastAnglia*Ahem* and TfL's Oyster system already generates a large enough pile of cash from penalties.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Yes Mr Lewis is always saying how split ticketing can give you cheaper fares which is a jok you shoudl be able to get the cheapest fare for your journey and have the minimum amount of tickets.

Oyster is great when it works, I got an email the other day to say that due to a technical issue there was a refund waiting for me to collect on my oyster card at Webley, the wife used the oysters when she went to see TT last week and the odds on me being there anytime soon to collect it are slim.

Ben

Thank Post
    The split tickets can work for the reasons I mentioned earlier. It's also handy for longer journeys which go across the end of the peak period. If you're going Leeds - London, you can do say Leeds-Peterborough on a peak ticket and Peterborough-London on an off-peak one, if the timings work out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Agree with the railcard one, once it was going to cost me £4 more to use it than not, so I didn't bother but I only knew that as I was using a touch screen ticket terminal at the station that morning, its crazy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    I often have this rant in my head when I get the train! Stupid bloody system, waste of time and money. I regularly get the train from Wolverhampton to Manchester, it's something daft like £25 one way or £25.10 return; where's the bloody logic in that?

Split ticketing is great for longer journeys, you can save a lot of money and never have to leave the train (although you will end up with a dozen tickets). This site is useful: Welcome To Split Your Ticket

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast