+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!! in General; Originally Posted by bizzel Wow. Was the AP okay? Yes, the build quality of the early 802.11g Buffalo APs is ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzel View Post
    Wow. Was the AP okay?
    Yes, the build quality of the early 802.11g Buffalo APs is quite good.

Thank Post
    I had a Linksys AP that was bloomin dangerous, I plugged it in and it started smoking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    We've never had APs used as weapons...we did find our office one sporting a Durex latex jacket...when I enquired as to why this had been done by the student who came forward, he said "protection from viruses, sir..".

Both me and the NM fell over laughing. It's a DLink DWL 2100AP that was given to us, so we couldn't bring ourselves to tell him off.
    Genius! No, I don't think I could bring myself to punish the kid either :-)

Thank Post
    On a more serious note, I would like to see some serious research done into wireless safety in the sort of environment we are due to see as a result of the BSF rebuilding program.
    Many schools facing a BSF rebuild will be heavily dependent upon wireless, far more so than schools are at present. At my school the goal is to have 1:1 computer:student ratio and the expectation is these devices will be wireless connected.
    We will have few if any 'fixed' desktop systems, and having 1000+ wireless devices in the footprint of a typical Secondary School of 900 students & 100 staff may lead to some levels of wireless radiation that have not been seen before. I accept that the signal strength of WiFi is a fraction of mobile phones, but what about the effects of the signal density with so many devices in use in such a small area?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Teacher switches off class wi-fi

So, the school has removed it because we don't know that it isn't damaging us. Isn't that kind of backwards? You can't prove a negative.

It doesn't seem to matter how many studies come to the same conclusion - that there is no evidence of health risks - people still seem to fear it.

I just fear that if more people become like that, the UK will turn into yet another country scared of technological and scientific improvement.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    They should also remove the desks and chairs as there's no proof they aren't causing long-term back damage to all these students who have to hunch over textbooks all day. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.

Also, biros. The ink from those could be toxic for all we know, there haven't been any long term studies of their effects. It's all very well saying they're not poisonous, we accept that, but we don't know what's going on inside. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.

Come to think of it, we should also remove the principal from post as we can't know for certain whether he's even human. He could be a robot from the future in disguise. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.

7. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

localzuk (4th October 2009), webman (4th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I had a Linksys AP that was bloomin dangerous, I plugged it in and it started smoking.
    I told you, that you should of given it a glass of whiskey lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    They should also remove the desks and chairs as there's no proof they aren't causing long-term back damage to all these students who have to hunch over textbooks all day. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.

Also, biros. The ink from those could be toxic for all we know, there haven't been any long term studies of their effects. It's all very well saying they're not poisonous, we accept that, but we don't know what's going on inside. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.

Come to think of it, we should also remove the principal from post as we can't know for certain whether he's even human. He could be a robot from the future in disguise. We don't really know the biological end of this, which is the thing which really concerns us.
    Don't forget the stairs - people fall down them every year and end up killing themselves.....

Thank Post
    DOnt forget that network cables are a trip[ hazard, if you remove your wireless you will have to issue 0.5m patch cables to stop this from being a problem

Thank Post
    Next they'll be putting plastic cutlery in the canteen because the kids might hurt themselves with the metal ones. Oh hang on, wait, sorry my bad I think we might have done this already . . . . . .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Yeh schools seem to be putting back in the plastic dinner trays and plastic plates in place of pottery ones

Thank Post
    and using microwaves, mobile phones and wireless at home has absolutely nothing at all to do with the health issues

PEO
    Thank Post
    I have wireless setup in a classroom, its on 24/7 and the teacher (lab rat) who is based there has had no health problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    and using microwaves, mobile phones and wireless at home has absolutely nothing at all to do with the health issues
    I was advised many years ago not to stand in front of the Microwave whilst it was on. How do any of us know if the Magnetron is functioning correctly?

Still, it warms my cups of cold tea up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I was advised many years ago not to stand in front of the Microwave whilst it was on. How do any of us know if the Magnetron is functioning correctly?

Still, it warms my cups of cold tea up.
    They are pretty well renowned for doing that - heating things up I mean lol

I much prefer them for microwaved pop corn - much nicer.

I wonder what those parents would do if they ever found out that there neighbors use wireless as well - especially if its the N type lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast