+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 103
General Chat Thread, Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!! in General; Originally Posted by sqdge We're thinking of getting an 802.11g Cat to sort out the problem. Cat5?...
  1. #61

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,406
    Thank Post
    640
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    324

    Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    We're thinking of getting an 802.11g Cat to sort out the problem.
    Cat5?

  2. #62
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76

    Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I don't think connecting school pets to Wifi is a good idea....
    Yeah, it was fine for a bit. But then it ran under a cupboard and since then none of the laptops have been able to get any signal.

    We're thinking of getting an 802.11g Cat to sort out the problem.
    Only the one cat? I'd increase the numbers and go with a Cat5 cable... Sorry, I'll get my coat!

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Cat5?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Only the one cat? I'd increase the numbers and go with a Cat5 cable... Sorry, I'll get my coat!
    I find that quite disturbing. I am also annoyed I didn't think of it myself.

    The pedigree version is surely Cat5e.

  4. #64
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,414
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 256 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

    Nah go for Cat6 and a few wireless mice

  5. #65

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,804
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 583 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    224

    Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

    Hnnnnnggggh. A mod needs to lock this thread before these bad jokes cause a tear in the space time continuum.

  6. #66
    Mr.Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A Pirate Ship
    Posts
    942
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 157 Times in 126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge View Post
    Daily Mail - Wifi internet 'poses a health risk for children'

    Well, I think we all know what newspaper that parent reads.

    Yes, the daily hate mail

    Really, Radio waves have been around for years, and only now are we getting ill because of them?

    Muppets.

  7. #67
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    it's notoriously difficult (impossible) to gather proof of the effects of wireless networks on human health. Even if this pupil is suffering ill health what is the likelihood of correlating the symptoms with you're wifi networ ?

    So i don't think they've got a leg to stand in.....unless that covert mobile phone mast on the roof of you're school building is to blame j/k

    And the effects of mobile phone masts are largely psychological,,,so if they didn't know about it's existence they'd feel as fit as a fiddle and would be none the wiser.
    hypothetically speaking
    Last edited by torledo; 1st February 2008 at 07:10 PM.

  8. #68
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,365
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Wifi causes headaches? Thats the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Just another Daily-mail parent who wants to complain about something.

    For a start, I'd advise the parent to keep thier child inside a lead cabinet, as these days you are hardly ever out of range of someone's wireless device! (Also I believe the actual amount of signal put out by a wap is hardly any different to recieving a radio signal into a car).

    Second, the whole mobile-phone thing is a good point, get them to prove it's your wifi and not the mobile.

    Thirdly, I wouldn't be suprised if the child was sitting in front of a TV / Games console / PC at home for hours on end every night. Perhaps you could enquire as to eyestrain from home being the cause of said headaches?

    Pete

  9. #69
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Wifi causes headaches? Thats the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Just another Daily-mail parent who wants to complain about something.

    For a start, I'd advise the parent to keep thier child inside a lead cabinet, as these days you are hardly ever out of range of someone's wireless device! (Also I believe the actual amount of signal put out by a wap is hardly any different to recieving a radio signal into a car).

    Second, the whole mobile-phone thing is a good point, get them to prove it's your wifi and not the mobile.

    Thirdly, I wouldn't be suprised if the child was sitting in front of a TV / Games console / PC at home for hours on end every night. Perhaps you could enquire as to eyestrain from home being the cause of said headaches?

    Pete
    it is bs, because in britain today the radio waves we've been bathed in since marconi got his act together all those years ago should be the least of the worries parents should be concerning themselves with.

    How about the following being a million times more dertrimental to the health of the little timothy's, jennifers and asifs;

    traffic congestion causing pollution and no doubt triggering various allergies

    lack of exercise due to hours in front of the telly/computer and children being ferried instead of walking.

    fast food, saturated fat diets, creating all sorts of problems for the nhs 20 years from now.

  10. Thanks to torledo from:

    localzuk (2nd February 2008)

  11. #70
    tomscaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    814
    Thank Post
    118
    Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    do you think if i complain that the kids give me headaches they will do something about them.

  12. #71

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,136
    Thank Post
    1,913
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper View Post
    do you think if i complain that the kids give me headaches they will do something about them.
    Lol. And what about the headaches the staff cause us as well!?

  13. #72

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,804
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 583 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    224
    Indeed, to bring the thread back on topic but to touch on tomscrapers post. The only incident of WiFi in schools harming kids that I've heard of in our area is in a nearby secondary school. Where one pupil yanked a Wifi AP off the wall in a classroom and proceeded to hurl it at one of his classmates. Knocking him unconscious and causing slight concussion.

    Not sure if that counts though.

  14. #73
    bizzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    654
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 204 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Indeed, to bring the thread back on topic but to touch on tomscrapers post. The only incident of WiFi in schools harming kids that I've heard of in our area is in a nearby secondary school. Where one pupil yanked a Wifi AP off the wall in a classroom and proceeded to hurl it at one of his classmates. Knocking him unconscious and causing slight concussion.

    Not sure if that counts though.
    Wow. Was the AP okay?

  15. #74
    Sirbendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,298
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 203 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    My mother-in-laws partner has a cranial high pressure condition, and she's really sensitive to loads of things (I say put-on..). She was dead against me installing wifi in their house because "OMG, I read that it really exacerbates my condition"..

    We installed it on the QT, and next time she brought it up, I asked if her head had exploded yet..no? Well, there you go then. You've had it for a month. In fact, your head would have exploded in my flat as well, as I have wifi there too.

    We have APs all over the building, and nobody complains. My mother was panicking about it when I wifi'd her house..I said it's either that, or I drill holes and run cable. She's stopped worrying now..

    We've never had APs used as weapons...we did find our office one sporting a Durex latex jacket...when I enquired as to why this had been done by the student who came forward, he said "protection from viruses, sir..".

    Both me and the NM fell over laughing. It's a DLink DWL 2100AP that was given to us, so we couldn't bring ourselves to tell him off.

  16. #75
    joe90bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,352
    Thank Post
    325
    Thanked 107 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    51

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    We've never had APs used as weapons...we did find our office one sporting a Durex latex jacket...when I enquired as to why this had been done by the student who came forward, he said "protection from viruses, sir..".

    Both me and the NM fell over laughing. It's a DLink DWL 2100AP that was given to us, so we couldn't bring ourselves to tell him off.
    Quality, gave me a good chuckle!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with wireless and an HP Laptop
    By mark in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31st December 2007, 05:56 PM
  2. Temperature /Air Con / Health and Safety
    By CyberNerd in forum Hardware
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30th July 2006, 12:00 PM
  3. Whiteboards and Health & Safety
    By richard in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st February 2006, 12:52 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •