+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!! in General; Originally Posted by Pearno My current stance would be: "Quit your jibber-jabber! Give me proof, and I'll shut down the ...
    Thank Post

Re: Our First Student with Health Problems Due to Wireless!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearno
    My current stance would be:

"Quit your jibber-jabber! Give me proof, and I'll shut down the wireless, fool!"
    Our view is similar to that, although not in quite those words!

Of course, the counter-argument to that is that we should pull the wireless networks now due to the possible risks and only re-implement them when the proof comes in that they're not dangerous. Let's assume that 5 years from now, WiFi is proven to be dangerous - where does that leave your school if you knew about the risks yet did nothing about it? Law suits could come your way from every parent whose kid has ADHD, "suffers lack of concentration" or missed their A-Level grades.

The case against the tobacco manufacturers is not so much that smoking kills you, but that 30 years ago they knew this but didn't let on. The 20-year-old with smoking related cancer has no case, but the 70 year old just might (and some courts have ruled in their favour). Perhaps WiFi will be the same??

Thank Post

@NickJones: Make a good point but I cant really see a school being liable when its all speculation at the moment and not proven. If it is proven or you have a reputable report on the subject and do nothing then you would be liable. Will it mean that if WiFi is proven all the homes that have internet will sue their ISP? Well thats my thought on it anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Of course, the counter-argument to that is that we should pull the wireless networks now due to the possible risks and only re-implement them when the proof comes in that they're not dangerous.
    But how do you prove that? Proving it is safe would be impossible. That isn't how science works - it works by proving things wrong. So proving things as being unsafe, proving that the earth isn't flat etc...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Of course, the counter-argument to that is that we should pull the wireless networks now due to the possible risks and only re-implement them when the proof comes in that they're not dangerous.
    But how do you prove that? Proving it is safe would be impossible. That isn't how science works - it works by proving things wrong. So proving things as being unsafe, proving that the earth isn't flat etc...
    I guess that "proof" could be when a number of investigations by the likes of the HPA fails to find a link. While that wouldn't categorically prove the technology to be safe, it would be a fairly convincing argument, and would suffice in most courts of law. As I said, it wouldn't be perfect, but surely it would be better than the alternative stance of saying (from our highly non-medical opinion) "I reckon it's okay" and carrying on regardless.

I'm just playing devil's advocate really (you'll learn that about me!) - I'm not saying that I'm about to turn all our WiFi off, but I do think that the cost of INaction must also be considered.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    That isn't how science works - it works by proving things wrong. So proving things as being unsafe, proving that the earth isn't flat etc...
    Ah, yes - but this isn't science, it's technology and in modern society this isn't how technology works (or rather, isn't how it should work). Something should be tested, proven, etc. before it is released on the masses. Just like new medicines (which is also science) - you wouldn't find a new drug on the shelves, only to discover a few months down the line that it causes you to develop curly teeth and a limp in your left eye. You have to test these things first.

The problem is that people get too caught up in the life-changing potential of these developments and rush headlong into them without the kind of careful forethought that maybe should be required (mobile phones vs. radiation is a case in point).

PS: I like mobile phones. And wireless. And certain medicines.

Thank Post

Tell the parents that it wasn't the Wi-Fi that caused it but the childs mobile phone that they are on 24/7 that caused their illness! :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by phreak
    Tell the parents that it wasn't the Wi-Fi that caused it but the childs mobile phone that they are on 24/7 that caused their illness! :P
    Actually, I'm telling the parents that it isn't wi-fi but the teachers that have caused their illness.

Thank Post

I thought it was the kids that caused all of our illnesses. you could be right though, the teachers cause alot of my illness. Well they make me feel sick any how.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pearno
    The problem is that people get too caught up in the life-changing potential of these developments and rush headlong into them without the kind of careful forethought that maybe should be required (mobile phones vs. radiation is a case in point).
    Sorry, but we've hardly rushed headlong into this "new" wireless technology. It is meerly the latest iteration in the long development of man-made radio. We, and all the other species on the planet (and too about 100 lightyears away) have been bombarded with man-made radio frequency waves since about 12 December 1901.

Of course all through the last few billion years (not since October 23, 4004 BC. Sorry Ussher) we, and everything alive in the universe is constantly bombarded with electromagnetic radiation from the sun (or other local star) cosmic rays and a plethora of others.

Does anyone fancy doing the calculation on the received radiation from a few milli-Watt WiFi base station say 2m away, compared to the 1MW Crystal Palace transmitter 1Km distant? Too late for me o think it through now, but the maths is easy!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Andrew_C: I think what people have issue with is the frequency - 2.4GHz as opposed to ~450MHz.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Same frequency as Microwaves and Cordless phones btw.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Same frequency as Microwaves and Cordless phones btw.
    That might explain why the school's pet hamster exploded after we put in the wi-fi connection.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't think connecting school pets to Wifi is a good idea....

Thank Post

@Geoff: Do you say that from experience :twisted:

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I don't think connecting school pets to Wifi is a good idea....
    Yeah, it was fine for a bit. But then it ran under a cupboard and since then none of the laptops have been able to get any signal.

We're thinking of getting an 802.11g Cat to sort out the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast