+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Cheques not to be scrapped in General; Originally Posted by localzuk It'll be using the NFC technology that has started appearing and being pushed by banks. It ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It'll be using the NFC technology that has started appearing and being pushed by banks. It is now available in a few Android handsets.
    My phone has NFC for non UK sets, yet the UK ones had it disabled!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Erm. There are other denominations of cash. £3000 is 60 £50 notes. Or, you could use a bank transfer, or they might accept Paypal. Loads of options.
    Quite true, but those notes need to be carried between the bank and home.

A friend of mine took out this very amount a few weeks ago to pay for a new car in a private sale. His bank refused to carry out the transaction in private, so everyone who happened to be in the open-plan branch saw and heard the cash being counted out. In spite of being six foot four and built like the proverbial outhouse he was somewhat nervous until he had passed the money on ...

(I kept my thoughts on the probable reliability of people who were prepared to neither accept a cheque nor pass over bank details to myself.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaterinaAnna View Post
    Quite true, but those notes need to be carried between the bank and home.

A friend of mine took out this very amount a few weeks ago to pay for a new car in a private sale. His bank refused to carry out the transaction in private, so everyone who happened to be in the open-plan branch saw and heard the cash being counted out. In spite of being six foot four and built like the proverbial outhouse he was somewhat nervous until he had passed the money on ...

(I kept my thoughts on the probable reliability of people who were prepared to neither accept a cheque nor pass over bank details to myself.)
    Slightly off topic but I completely agree. I've been stood at open plan "help" desk before when the woman would say "oh I notice you have £xxx in your current account, can we talk to you about other services", or "so would you like 50s for that £1000 then sir?".
    Even though you may be the only one who knows you are walking out of there with, say, £4,000 in notes, it doesn't mean they should loudly announce it anyway

Thank Post
    I've never used Cheques, on the rare chance that I do need to use one then I just have the bank write one up for me, cost 10 pounds but its a bankers draft.
    If you are worried about collecting large amounts just phone inadvance and have them make up a sealed bundle, one of my friends was paid 20,000 pounds in cash recently and it was in bundles of 5000 and they were sealed and signed by the bank, so it saves having to count it out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    one of my friends was paid 20,000 pounds in cash recently and it was in bundles of 5000
    Is he an MP by chance?

Thank Post
    I used a cheque last millennium, and I use cash almost once a month. Square is for USA, so reads the mag stripe, so we won't be getting that soon. Still waiting for banks to actually be secure, how come reading my email is more secure than my bank account?, which apparently half the world can empty with just my account number

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I HATE paying in cheques I receive. Not only do I have to wait ages for them to clear, but I have to pay several £s to park my car in town too.
    My main bank account is online, and no cash machine will take deposits to it, so the odd occasion when I receive a cheque I have to keep a separate account and then transfer it over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123